Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#341 » by KqWIN » Wed Dec 9, 2020 3:55 am

Positions are labels that don't matter. Royce almost exclusively guards to top threat on the other team of the league. IIRC, no one in the league does this more and it's usually a perimeter threat. Who cares what you call that. 3 or 4....doesn't matter.

That combo of Royce-Bojan at the 3 and 4 was really successful. The Jazz had the second most effective starting lineup in the entire league and those two started almost every game. +13.7 with Ingles and +9.7 with Conley in for Ingles. Don't let labels get in the way of what happens on the court.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,244

Post#342 » by Catchall » Wed Dec 9, 2020 4:39 am

tugs wrote:Yeah have to confirm but I've seen somewhere that Royce starts as the small ball 4, sometimes Joe, not Bojan.

Would be ok with Niang or Morgan as the starting PF this coming season. They need someone who can space the floor.

Royce has been playing the 'Jae Crowder' role, which the Jazz consider to be at the 4. He normally takes the tougher, more physical defensive assignment.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#343 » by Catchall » Wed Dec 9, 2020 4:42 am

zero24gravity wrote:
stitches wrote:
devilsadvocate9 wrote:
The idea is that Lance fits better positionally.
Royce is a great player but he's mismatched as a starting 4

The reason to trade Conley is if we don't trade Conley this year, then we lose that cap room for nothing.
Again Love fits positionally better than Conley.

Would anyone here trade Conley for Love straight up?

First on the last question - I probably wouldn't. I think the chance Love is cooked is higher than the chance Conley is cooked and Love has more years on his contract that I don't want us to have on our books.

On the first matter - umh... no? Royce does NOT start at the 4 and in the modern NBA he's not really a mismatch there either. Bojan starts there... or Favors depends on how they work out the rotation. Royce is a wing, who can play 4 in some situations. I don't see any appeal to Lance and I definitely don't think he fits better with this team at any position. He's not a better 4 than Bojan... or Favors... or hell... even Royce or Jingles.

Bojan is a disaster at the 4. Can't rebound, isn't tall or long, doesn't defend that well. He's a 3, and a 2 before a 4. Just my 2 cents.

Do the Jazz even have a 4 on their roster? Niang 3/4 & Brantley 3/4 are probably the closest to it. Then Favors, who is a 5 who can play 4.

The Jazz staff speak as though they plan to get some quality minutes at the 4 from Juwan Morgan this year. I think they're looking at him as our version of Jamychal Green off the bench. He'll defend, rebound, move the ball and hopefully hit corner 3s.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#344 » by red4hf » Wed Dec 9, 2020 1:06 pm

Catchall wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
stitches wrote:First on the last question - I probably wouldn't. I think the chance Love is cooked is higher than the chance Conley is cooked and Love has more years on his contract that I don't want us to have on our books.

On the first matter - umh... no? Royce does NOT start at the 4 and in the modern NBA he's not really a mismatch there either. Bojan starts there... or Favors depends on how they work out the rotation. Royce is a wing, who can play 4 in some situations. I don't see any appeal to Lance and I definitely don't think he fits better with this team at any position. He's not a better 4 than Bojan... or Favors... or hell... even Royce or Jingles.

Bojan is a disaster at the 4. Can't rebound, isn't tall or long, doesn't defend that well. He's a 3, and a 2 before a 4. Just my 2 cents.

Do the Jazz even have a 4 on their roster? Niang 3/4 & Brantley 3/4 are probably the closest to it. Then Favors, who is a 5 who can play 4.

The Jazz staff speak as though they plan to get some quality minutes at the 4 from Juwan Morgan this year. I think they're looking at him as our version of Jamychal Green off the bench. He'll defend, rebound, move the ball and hopefully hit corner 3s.

So long as it's the Juwan Morgan from the playoffs, and not the one from the regular season, that could actually work......
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#345 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Dec 9, 2020 9:03 pm

I don't remember Juan Morgan even being good in the playoffs. I looked it up to make sure my memory or impression wasn't off, and it isn't. He wasn't good.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/morgaju01.html#playoffs_per_poss::none

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/morgaju01.html#playoffs_advanced::none

(Edit: It looks like his limited 6 mpg stats during the regular season are better, but I wasn't impressed. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/morgaju01.html#per_poss::none Another thing I hope I am wrong about.)
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#346 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Dec 9, 2020 9:19 pm

I was hoping this would happen.

Read on Twitter
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#347 » by stitches » Wed Dec 9, 2020 9:25 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:I was hoping this would happen.

Read on Twitter

This is the weirdest thing. Yesterday there was drama on JazzFanz because someone posted on the newsfeed an article by Dan Clayton saying the Jazz are signing Shaq Harrison. But that news was nowhere to be found on the internet - not on Clayton's twitter feed... not on any media page or site Clayton works with. And then it was deleted...

And now... this...

What the hell just happened? :lol:
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#348 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Dec 9, 2020 9:30 pm

Shaq is reported for 1 year at minimum. I wish the Jazz could have got another NG year out of him as I think he is a really good pick up (I would give up nearly the entirety of last year's bench for him).
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#349 » by tugs » Wed Dec 9, 2020 10:27 pm

I think he's better than Mudiay. Says a lot since I believe Mudiay was fairly effective in this system, albeit not having much diversity in offense and tends to dribble a lot.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Post#350 » by babyjax13 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 10:56 pm

I don't know why people think Mudiay was effective, he tried hard, I liked that, he is a horrible nba player.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#351 » by KqWIN » Wed Dec 9, 2020 11:51 pm

Between Shaq and Miye I’m optimistic of our chances at finding a useful player that we’re dying to have.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#352 » by AingesBurner » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:41 am

Why aren’t we using the BAE on Courtney Lee.
Ingles is cooked.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#353 » by sip » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:33 am

Because Lee is a minimum player now a days.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
Catchall
RealGM

Post#354 » by Catchall » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:05 am

KqWIN wrote:Between Shaq and Miye I’m optimistic of our chances at finding a useful player that we’re dying to have.

I think Miye can probably develop into a Kentavious Caldwell-Pope caliber of 3D wing. That's a top-8 rotational player.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#355 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:14 pm

GobertReport wrote:Why aren’t we using the BAE on Courtney Lee.

He was already sign by Dallas.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/260772/Mavericks-To-Waive-JJ-Barea-Sign-Courtney-Lee
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#356 » by AingesBurner » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:36 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/260772/Mavericks-To-Waive-JJ-Barea-Sign-Courtney-Lee

I mean before they signed him.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#357 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:19 am

GobertReport wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

I mean before they signed him.

I don't know. I used to like Lee quite a bit, but now I don't really think he'll make much of a difference. Maybe the Jazz preferred to see what a younger Shaq Harrison can do, and see if he could be a Royce-type find for them.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Post#358 » by babyjax13 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:06 pm

Why do people think Harrison is young? He may have some marginal room for improvement but he's 27, not 22.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#359 » by zero24gravity » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:24 pm

Jazz signed Yogi Ferrell. Solid pick-up as an emergency PG. He can shoot fairly well & has been around bit. Wish he wasn't only 6', but adding more depth to this ridiculously deep team is pretty exciting. Hope these guys know PT isn't going to be easy to come by.

https://www.slcdunk.com/latest-utah-jazz-news-recent/2020/12/17/22188352/utah-jazz-sign-yogi-ferrell
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#360 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:28 pm

dr0welf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:
Is Alize an unrestricted free agent after his ten day contract is up, or do the Nets have a first option to sign him?

I think he is free game.

Nets can negotiate with him for a second contract while they have him. Which means they can sign him again before the contract runs out and other teams can start negotiations.

Read on Twitter

Return to Utah Jazz