ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#61 » by Skin » Thu Dec 3, 2020 7:20 am

Guys, we need to be talking about players in the 12-14 range. Ok?

Cade? Suggs? C'mon man.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,970

Post#62 » by KillMonger » Sun Dec 6, 2020 7:13 pm

Skin wrote:Guys, we need to be talking about players in the 12-14 range. Ok?

Cade? Suggs? C'mon man.

if we'd pulled the trigger on certain trades maybe we could've been talking about those players.....but once again.....middle of the road again.....continuity again.....weltham sitting on their hands AGAIN :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#63 » by Knightro » Wed Dec 9, 2020 6:38 am

It's still early, but the three best guys I've seen so far are Cade Cunningham, Jalen Suggs and Evan Mobley.

I was really hard on Cunningham after the first game, but I've quickly come around. His competition hasn't been too tough, but we're now five games in and he's averaging 21-6-4 *and* a 50-40-90 slash.

He isn't very explosive, but holy crap is he just a fundamentally sound and rock solid consistent player on a game by game and even possession by possession basis.

I definitely do not see him a full time point guard in the NBA, but he really has all the makings of being one of those super valuable big wings (not comparing him directly to these guys, but just the archetype) like a Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Luka Dončić type of guy. A secondary ball handler who can get to his spots, make shots from all levels, and also create for others.

Now that I've seen him five times, I'm hard pressed to say I'd pick someone else over him at 1.

Mobley and Suggs have both been quite good as well.

Obviously I really hope there's a G-League season so we can see Jalen Green.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#64 » by Def Swami » Wed Dec 9, 2020 3:19 pm

I'm so much more impressed by the top 3 of this draft (Cunningham, Mobley, Suggs) than I am in anyone in the last draft. They look like some franchise-changing talents early on. More players are going to come about too. The guard from Illinois has been playing really well. And we haven't seen Green yet.

Again, the Magic should absolutely be tanking. There are only 4 teams that are outrightly tanking. OKC, NY, Cleveland, and Detroit are going to be there. After that, it's wide open for another team to bottom out and slide into the top 5 lottery odds.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#65 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 5:50 pm

jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#66 » by jonbob17 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 6:44 pm

Def Swami wrote:I'm so much more impressed by the top 3 of this draft (Cunningham, Mobley, Suggs) than I am in anyone in the last draft. They look like some franchise-changing talents early on. More players are going to come about too. The guard from Illinois has been playing really well. And we haven't seen Green yet.

Again, the Magic should absolutely be tanking. There are only 4 teams that are outrightly tanking. OKC, NY, Cleveland, and Detroit are going to be there. After that, it's wide open for another team to bottom out and slide into the top 5 lottery odds.

The three you mentioned look so good so far. Cade’s expectations were super high, but he is still doing what they said he would do, and that team around him looks awful. NCAA sanctions will do that.

I will say we just don’t know how good Ball is going to be. If he played college basketball last year we may have been talking about him the same way if you we were seeing his passes on sports center each week. We’ll see, you just don’t find guys his size that can pass like he does.

Cade does seem like a MUCH more complete version of Ball. Very impressive.

Suggs so fun to watch. I didn’t see him coming.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#67 » by RookieStar » Wed Dec 9, 2020 10:23 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:Image

Speak it unto existence!!!!
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#68 » by basketballRob » Wed Dec 9, 2020 10:30 pm

I like Mobley. He outplayed Wiseman when they matched up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#69 » by RookieStar » Wed Dec 9, 2020 10:52 pm

basketballRob wrote:I like Mobley. He outplayed Wiseman when they matched up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

When was this? Mobley is currently a freshman in college while Wiseman is in the league now.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#70 » by pepe1991 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:40 am

I'll hold my reservations about Cunnigham until he plays better competition.
Outside Marquette opponents he played against as teams have record of: 0-6, 1-4, 1-3 and 1-3.

It's kind a obvious he isn't really starting PG in nba. His APG to TO ratio, even against bad competition is pretty bad ( 21- 18), just 4apg a game ( 3,7 turnovers).

Time will tell.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#71 » by zaymon » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:54 am

pepe1991 wrote:I'll hold my reservations about Cunnigham until he plays better competition.
Outside Marquette opponents he played against as teams have record of: 0-6, 1-4, 1-3 and 1-3.

It's kind a obvious he isn't really starting PG in nba. His APG to TO ratio, even against bad competition is pretty bad ( 21- 18), just 4apg a game ( 3,7 turnovers).

Time will tell.

Right now Cade looks more like Gordon Hayward than Lebron James. Very good prospect but i wouldnt tank for him.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#72 » by basketballRob » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:03 am

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#73 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:29 pm

ESPN+ has a great breakdown of the top prospects in the 2021 class:

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/30489522/scouting-2021-nba-draft-lottery-prospects-strengths-comps-intel

==> Obviously Cade is the big prize but it’s getting hard not to circle Jalen Suggs on every single Magic big board as a backup plan if Fultz fails to lockdown the “franchise PG” spot this year.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by zaymon » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:49 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:ESPN+ has a great breakdown of the top prospects in the 2021 class:

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/30489522/scouting-2021-nba-draft-lottery-prospects-strengths-comps-intel

==> Obviously Cade is the big prize but it’s getting hard not to circle Jalen Suggs on every single Magic big board as a backup plan if Fultz fails to lockdown the “franchise PG” spot this year.

I dont have insider but i have a feeling 2021 is a bit overhyped. Cade is great but not special, Mobley has Bol Bol body, Suggs is not there yet as a shooter. To me most interesting prospects are in 10-15 range right now.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#75 » by RookieStar » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:19 pm

zaymon wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:ESPN+ has a great breakdown of the top prospects in the 2021 class:

I dont have insider but i have a feeling 2021 is a bit overhyped. Cade is great but not special, Mobley has Bol Bol body, Suggs is not there yet as a shooter. To me most interesting prospects are in 10-15 range right now.

It depends on your perspective I guess. With this pandemic and the NCAA cancelling games left and right PLUS the G-league team where tpo prospects Kuminga and Green has yet to play ( TV-wise lol ) it does seem lackluster so far.

However, with the few games that has been shown publicly so far, Cade and Suggs already has people drooling with their body, passing, BBIQ and potential scoring threat. Guarantee you that if those two (so far) has been in the past draft ( aside from Luka ) they would be also in consideration for the #1 pick.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#76 » by Bensational » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:32 pm

Cade looks great to me. I've only seen the highlights, and I know his competition hasn't been the strongest, but he looks so poised and comfortable out on the court. He has craft and guile and has defenders off balance all the time from very small moves.

I certainly see shades of LeBron with the way he isos and surveys the floor from the perimeter. He doesn't have the same natural feel of Bron but that will come with time and experience.

He looks like a true franchise player to me. Whatever team gets him will be extremely happy.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#77 » by RookieStar » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:49 pm

Bensational wrote:Cade looks great to me. I've only seen the highlights, and I know his competition hasn't been the strongest, but he looks so poised and comfortable out on the court. He has craft and guile and has defenders off balance all the time from very small moves.

I certainly see shades of LeBron with the way he isos and surveys the floor from the perimeter. He doesn't have the same natural feel of Bron but that will come with time and experience.

He looks like a true franchise player to me. Whatever team gets him will be extremely happy.

You see LEbron on him? I actually see Luka on him (lol) where he doesn't really use his athleticism to explode but seems to "glide" smoothly in the game.

But yeah as you said, we haven't seen him with serious competition yet where he face a blue-blood or a top-seeded team where they can throw bodies with the same height,length,speed and plays the same position at him.

So far, the eye-test looks good though.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by zaymon » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:59 pm

Bensational wrote:Cade looks great to me. I've only seen the highlights, and I know his competition hasn't been the strongest, but he looks so poised and comfortable out on the court. He has craft and guile and has defenders off balance all the time from very small moves.

Lebron got to the basket at will while Cade cant do it even against bad players. He will be good, especially if his shooting translates but i dont see offensive engine. How can he create advantages ? I dont see explosive first step of Lebron and i dont see start stop of Doncic neither. A lot of his shots are one handed contested floaters becouse he cant go all the way to the rim.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#79 » by Knightro » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:05 pm

Read on Twitter
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#80 » by fendilim » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:14 am