Training Camp/Preseason Stuff

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: Training Camp/Preseason Stuff 

Post#21 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:15 pm

Wizop wrote:Yesterday (12/9) was the last day to waive a player and stretch the contract. Some suggested waiving Lecque, but I've not seen a report saying we did so.

Sent from my phone.

We did not. We now either need to waive Martin, or make a trade to get under the luxury tax this season.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#22 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:45 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:We did not. We now either need to waive Martin, or make a trade to get under the luxury tax this season.

I think we'll play it out until closer to the deadline. There is always the possibility of a big trade but if not I'd say Martin, Lamb, Doug, and maybe more are playing for one roster spot after the deadline. I suppose there is the theoretical possibility that we're playing so well that Simon says pay the tax, but I discount that.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#23 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:50 pm

Warren now has foot issues. Bowen also injured but with no Ants games scheduled that hardly matters.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:55 pm

Wizop wrote:Warren now has foot issues. Bowen also injured but with no Ants games scheduled that hardly matters.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Wizop
RealGM

Post#27 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:02 pm

Here is the official tweet. Makes me wonder if the Martin signing was preventative knowing Warren might miss some time.

Read on Twitter
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:27 pm

Wizop wrote:Here is the official tweet. Makes me wonder if the Martin signing was preventative knowing Warren might miss some time.

Read on Twitter

I would bet they signed Kelan independently, and because they like him. Essentially, you have a similar player in Sumner, Martin, and Jakarr, but you have them at different positions. Sumner can guard the 1 through some 3's, while Martin can guard 2's through 4's, and Sampson can guard some 3's through 5's. Tough nosed, engines always going, kind of players that look like they can hit a shot when need be.

Plus, I assume the Warren injury just popped up in the last couple days, or else Warren, Pritchard, all the players, and the coaching staff hid it well in all their interviews. Doubt it's been going on for 2-3 weeks, as Martin was locked up before Thanksgiving.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#29 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:37 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Plus, I assume the Warren injury just popped up in the last couple days, or else Warren, Pritchard, all the players, and the coaching staff hid it well in all their interviews. Doubt it's been going on for 2-3 weeks, as Martin was locked up before Thanksgiving.

Not what I'm reading. Some tweets mention that Warren had some issues back in the bubble so it appears they did know that depth on the wing could be an issue. I do agree though that his ability to defend multiple positions was important.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:06 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Plus, I assume the Warren injury just popped up in the last couple days, or else Warren, Pritchard, all the players, and the coaching staff hid it well in all their interviews. Doubt it's been going on for 2-3 weeks, as Martin was locked up before Thanksgiving.

Not what I'm reading. Some tweets mention that Warren had some issues back in the bubble so it appears they did know that depth on the wing could be an issue. I do agree though that his ability to defend multiple positions was important.

The bubble was a long time before November 26th when Martin was signed. If they knew Warren was likely to miss time from the bubble, they badly mismanaged the offseason. I'd like to hope that Martin was added because they wanted him. The alternative looks a lot worse for Pacers management.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#31 » by Tom White » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:31 pm

I guess this thread is as good a place as any to ask, are the pre-season games going to be televised anywhere this year?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#32 » by Wizop » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:22 am

Tom White wrote:I guess this thread is as good a place as any to ask, are the pre-season games going to be televised anywhere this year?
Fox Sports IN announced today they'd do all three.

Sent from my phone.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#33 » by Wizop » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:24 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:If they knew Warren was likely to miss time from the bubble, they badly mismanaged the offseason. I'd like to hope that Martin was added because they wanted him. The alternative looks a lot worse for Pacers management.

Two things can be true. They could have liked Martin and wanted insurance for Warren just in case.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:41 am

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:If they knew Warren was likely to miss time from the bubble, they badly mismanaged the offseason. I'd like to hope that Martin was added because they wanted him. The alternative looks a lot worse for Pacers management.

Two things can be true. They could have liked Martin and wanted insurance for Warren just in case.

Sent from my phone.

Infinite things can be true and/or untrue to all so many things in the world.

Either way, seems irresponsible if they signed Martin so late as injury assurance for Warren if they knew back in the bubble he had an injury. Should've snapped him up day one, if so.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#35 » by Wizop » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:44 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Either way, seems irresponsible if they signed Martin so late as injury assurance for Warren if they knew back in the bubble he had an injury. Should've snapped him up day one, if so.

I probably was too absolute. I just feel it could've been a factor. Certainly the priorities were Justin and Leaf and maybe even Jakarr. I thought we'd look for a four and was surprised when we signed another wing. Then again, he could just be the kind of player Bjorkgren wanted.

Sent from my phone.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by Tom White » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:33 pm

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:I guess this thread is as good a place as any to ask, are the pre-season games going to be televised anywhere this year?
Fox Sports IN announced today they'd do all three.

Sent from my phone.

Thank you, sir.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#37 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:40 pm

Looks like we have a Pandemic of plantar fasciitis! First Sabonis now Warren! I need a vaccine!
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#38 » by Jake0890 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:07 pm

The plantar fasciitis news is not good. Tends to be persistent and stick around. Bet we'll see this have an impact for both Warren and Sabonis throughout the season.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by Tom White » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:27 pm

Jake0890 wrote:The plantar fasciitis news is not good. Tends to be persistent and stick around. Bet we'll see this have an impact for both Warren and Sabonis throughout the season.

Someone will have to jog my memory a bit. Isn't this the same thing Rik Smits suffered from for years?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:50 pm

Tom White wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:The plantar fasciitis news is not good. Tends to be persistent and stick around. Bet we'll see this have an impact for both Warren and Sabonis throughout the season.

Someone will have to jog my memory a bit. Isn't this the same thing Rik Smits suffered from for years?

He had “nerve damage” that he blamed on wearing too small shoes all his life.

Return to Indiana Pacers