Will Mike Conley's Expiring be Traded This Season?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Will Conley Be Traded

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 30

devilsadvocate9
Sophomore
And1: 43

Will Mike Conley's Expiring be Traded This Season? 

Post#1 » by devilsadvocate9 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 4:35 pm

Since we are over the cap, if Conley is not traded, we lose the ability to spend that salary on other players.
Trading him for a longer term contract allows the Jazz to keep more money and talent on the roster going forward.
Will the new ownership be willing to spend and go over the cap?
Will another team be willing to take Conley's contract for cap relief?

I think the Jazz played best with Mitchell at PG last year, being able to use bigger lineups.

The Jazz lack a TRUE PF (Royce and Bogan are wings, Favors is a C)

Who are options that the Jazz can trade Conley's expiring asset into?

Love? Tobias Harris? B Griffin? Harrison Barnes?
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Re: Will Mike Conley's Expiring be Traded This Season? 

Post#2 » by AingesBurner » Wed Dec 9, 2020 5:08 pm

I will say based on the need to improve our roster and to get the ball in Mitchell’s hands more, I think we will trade for a less expensive PF and backup PG, maybe Randle and Elfrid Payton.
Ingles is cooked.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#3 » by red4hf » Wed Dec 9, 2020 5:25 pm

I say he won't be traded...... Gobert will be..... Don't know why, just have that feeling......
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#4 » by D Rog » Wed Dec 9, 2020 5:38 pm

I never wanted Conley on the Jazz but got blasted by Tony Jones and a bunch of his followers. He was too old for the core of this team. I have dreamt about different scenarios.
1) I am not an Aaron Gordon fan but I have thought Gordon and Fournier & the Jazz would probably have to throw in a draft pick or two.
2) I have never really been a big fan because of the contract but I thought Kevin Love if the Jazz could also get one of Clevelands point guards as well. This relieves Cleveland of a brutal contract for a player that is too old for their team and gives the Jazz a point guard that could be dealt elsewhere or kept by the Jazz. I WANT TO BE CLEAR... Not a fan of K Love to the Jazz at his current price but if you can get another younger piece along with Love it may be beneficial in the long run.
3) Everybody talks Tobias Harris but I am not convinced due to his salary. Is he really that much more productive of a player than Bogey at 1/2 the price?
4) The most reasonable deal I can see is Conley to Chicago for Zach Lavine. I think Lavine would make a great back court partner for Donovan. Lavine has 2 years left on his contract and the Jazz run the risk of losing him after that. Chicago would clear $20M for next years free agency and with their new management, they may want the freedom. The Jazz may have to throw in a draft pick as well. The salaries don't match so there will be someone thrown in.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#5 » by stitches » Wed Dec 9, 2020 5:38 pm

If I had to bet - no. I think they want to see if Conley can play as well as he did in the bubble. So... we will roll with him and probably let him go in the summer if that experiment fails.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#6 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 11:42 pm

I think they will keep him. I don't think they should.

I would like to see a Tobias for Conley trade.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#7 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:19 am

I don't think he'll be traded, the Jazz are renowned for their tendency to hold on to players much longer than they should and/or let their contracts expire.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#8 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:36 pm

I also doubt he will. I am interested to see how he integrates this year and what impact he has on the team. I would still trade him for Griffin, even with Favors on board, though.

While many were disappointed with how he played last year and what the Jazz gave up for him, after reading about PG13's contract extension, I was reminded how the Clippers gave up 5 (five!) first-round draft picks, and SGA and Gallinari to acquire him. Then in a deciding playoff game, he lays the biggest egg. Now, he is acting like a petulant child this offseason.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#9 » by D Rog » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:02 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:I also doubt he will. I am interested to see how he integrates this year and what impact he has on the team. I would still trade him for Griffin, even with Favors on board, though.

While many were disappointed with how he played last year and what the Jazz gave up for him, after reading about PG13's contract extension, I was reminded how the Clippers gave up 5 (five!) first-round draft picks, and SGA and Gallinari to acquire him. Then in a deciding playoff game, he lays the biggest egg. Now, he is acting like a petulant child this offseason.

Totally off the Conley subject but agree with you about Paul George. I think the Clippers will live to regret that extension or they will pawn him off within a year or two and not get much in return.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#10 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:50 am

I'm down with Conley not being traded. He very well could have a very good year and with his play level at something close to his salary that is very good. I think this year's Jazz model will be back to the positive culture/camaraderie version of the prior years, and Conley is a new part of it now integrated. If the Jazz make serious noise this year, (which I think is entirely possible), and Mike is a big part of that, I totally could see him re-signing at a fair value contract next year. Small market lightening-in-a jar if this roster can stay healthy. Utah isn't for every NBA player, but my sense is the the organization is well-respected and professional, they take care of the players that fit. I wouldn't mind taking a "retiring contract" with them. If Conley goes all Chris Paul I think we would want to re-sign him on friendly terms.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#11 » by Catchall » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:15 pm

I think the Jazz might be open to trading Mike, but they see him as an important part of the team. I don't think they're likely to get a good enough deal to make them move him.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#12 » by BudTugly » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:46 am

That’s a negative ghost rider. The pattern is full
Gert42
Senior
And1: 208

Post#13 » by Gert42 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:31 am

I agree with the posters that say he probably does not get traded this year. I am torn on it, but probably am OK with them keeping him this year.

I still think it was a good trade, because ultimately losing Allen, Crowder and a 1st plus a nicely protected pick if things go good or bad didn't make the Jazz worse, and they get two seasons to see what he has left.

I also think the Jazz (along with five other non-Lakers teams) have a chance to get to the WCF, so unless he looks terrible, I think they will let it play out.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#14 » by dautjazz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:24 pm

I mean if we can get someone as good with additional years, sure trade him, but I feel like we're about to see something similar to Memphis Conley, and I think he could substain that level for least a couple of more years (when healthy). I'd try to resign him since we're over the cap already, atleast if he's similar to bubble Conley.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#15 » by MTJazzv3 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:24 am

dautjazz wrote:I mean if we can get someone as good with additional years, sure trade him, but I feel like we're about to see something similar to Memphis Conley, and I think he could substain that level for least a couple of more years (when healthy). I'd try to resign him since we're over the cap already, atleast if he's similar to bubble Conley.

The good thing is while the Jazz don't need Conley at $30 mill he may become a huge piece in this year's run. Either way, the FO is in the driver's seat. Re-sign or trade for something or worst, watch the walk. I mean seriously, even if he walks the Jazz can sign another stud with the room. I'm just hoping he balls out on a contract year upcoming - Jazz could be very good.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#16 » by sip » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:24 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:
dautjazz wrote:I mean if we can get someone as good with additional years, sure trade him, but I feel like we're about to see something similar to Memphis Conley, and I think he could substain that level for least a couple of more years (when healthy). I'd try to resign him since we're over the cap already, atleast if he's similar to bubble Conley.

The good thing is while the Jazz don't need Conley at $30 mill he may become a huge piece in this year's run. Either way, the FO is in the driver's seat. Re-sign or trade for something or worst, watch the walk. I mean seriously, even if he walks the Jazz can sign another stud with the room. I'm just hoping he balls out on a contract year upcoming - Jazz could be very good.

The jazz won't have any cap room available even if he walks with Mitchells extension kicking in plus possibly Rudy's.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#17 » by dautjazz » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:57 pm

sip wrote:
MTJazzv3 wrote:

The jazz won't have any cap room available even if he walks with Mitchells extension kicking in plus possibly Rudy's.

That's true. We will be at 93.7M next year without Gobert and Conley. The salary is 109M so obviously we're going way over with just Gobert. The luxury tax is set at 132.6M, so we'd need to go well over that to retain Conley. At this point, I don't care, it's up to what the owner wants to spend.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#18 » by CAE15 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:19 pm

If we are underperforming by the deadline I can see him moved. If we have a good season I think it's quite likely Conley would resign at around the Rubio number. I can't think of many teams that would pay him that much more and for a 34 year old to learn a new system with youngins(if he were to get paid one more time) I just don't think so, now if Utah tries to low ball him on resigning I could see him take a full MLE on another contender.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
erasmusmrr
Sophomore
And1: 26

Post#19 » by erasmusmrr » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:14 pm

Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert has agreed to a five-year, $205M extension,
@ESPN_MacMahon
reports. Jazz’s two cornerstones — Gobert and Donovan Mitchell — are now under contract on long term deals.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#20 » by Catchall » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:28 am

I think this is your answer...

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to Utah Jazz