ImageImageImage

Off-season News

Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Re: Off-season News 

Post#101 » by JonFromVA » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:56 pm

Revenged25 wrote:Honestly until the players have a stable coaching staff for more than half a season I'm taking the struggles of the team, especially our young players, with a grain of salt. I can only imagine how hard it is for the players/team to be constantly being told their focus/role is changing halfway through each season. Obviously there are things that were issues that could be identified to be improved upon regardless of coaching changes, such as effort on defense/off ball defense IQ, but the offense especially it's hard to know if it's just not getting the right coaching/direction or an individual problem.

Hopefully we'll see rapid improvement for numerous reasons, but it's nice to know where we're starting from to help gauge that.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#102 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:46 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:Honestly until the players have a stable coaching staff for more than half a season I'm taking the struggles of the team, especially our young players, with a grain of salt. I can only imagine how hard it is for the players/team to be constantly being told their focus/role is changing halfway through each season. Obviously there are things that were issues that could be identified to be improved upon regardless of coaching changes, such as effort on defense/off ball defense IQ, but the offense especially it's hard to know if it's just not getting the right coaching/direction or an individual problem.

Hopefully we'll see rapid improvement for numerous reasons, but it's nice to know where we're starting from to help gauge that.

I expect there to definitely be immediate obvious physical improvement of teenagers becoming men and being more capable defenders but beyond that and added reps of one on none it will take all season for these players to have defined roles that actually equate to wins and any mid season moves will slow that further. esp if anyone is gifted minutes and isnt playing defense
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#103 » by JonFromVA » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:51 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I expect there to definitely be immediate obvious physical improvement of teenagers becoming men and being more capable defenders but beyond that and added reps of one on none it will take all season for these players to have defined roles that actually equate to wins and any mid season moves will slow that further. esp if anyone is gifted minutes and isnt playing defense

Sometimes things click, sometimes they don't, but we're starting from such a low point, we should see some progress unless the team self-destructs from conflict/injury/mismanagement.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#104 » by Stillwater » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:25 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Sometimes things click, sometimes they don't, but we're starting from such a low point, we should see some progress unless the team self-destructs from conflict/injury/mismanagement.

I dont really care about the Cavs being all that relevant right now anyway myself I mean I would love to see some improvement as a team but am really only expecting individual improvements and team chemistry will mostly be small victories other than with seasoned bigs. I think to only sniff the fringe of their potential will seem fruitless if its chemistry built with players not long for the roster. I am pretty much buying that Sexton Windler and Okoro are the highest potential ceilings for the future of this rebuild at least right now more than DG or KPJ who both are high ceiling in their own rights but the latter due to his issues outside the NBA potentially destroying his focus and the former because hes not a good fit with Sexton at all and may not be content with a role that is next to Sexton or behind him.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#105 » by LivingLegend » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:00 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I expect there to definitely be immediate obvious physical improvement of teenagers becoming men and being more capable defenders but beyond that and added reps of one on none it will take all season for these players to have defined roles that actually equate to wins and any mid season moves will slow that further. esp if anyone is gifted minutes and isnt playing defense

I dont really care about the Cavs being all that relevant right now anyway myself I mean I would love to see some improvement as a team but am really only expecting individual improvements and team chemistry will mostly be small victories other than with seasoned bigs. I think to only sniff the fringe of their potential will seem fruitless if its chemistry built with players not long for the roster. I am pretty much buying that Sexton Windler and Okoro are the highest potential ceilings for the future of this rebuild at least right now more than DG or KPJ who both are high ceiling in their own rights but the latter due to his issues outside the NBA potentially destroying his focus and the former because hes not a good fit with Sexton at all and may not be content with a role that is next to Sexton or behind him.

Are the preseason games going to be televised???
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#106 » by Stillwater » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:45 am

LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

1 nba tv game all season of the games scheduled so far at LAC on Valentines day... pathetic and so I am sure the lack of respect for the young players will continue.
but yeah all games are on FSOH as far as I know nothing changed
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#107 » by LivingLegend » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:54 am

Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I dont really care about the Cavs being all that relevant right now anyway myself I mean I would love to see some improvement as a team but am really only expecting individual improvements and team chemistry will mostly be small victories other than with seasoned bigs. I think to only sniff the fringe of their potential will seem fruitless if its chemistry built with players not long for the roster. I am pretty much buying that Sexton Windler and Okoro are the highest potential ceilings for the future of this rebuild at least right now more than DG or KPJ who both are high ceiling in their own rights but the latter due to his issues outside the NBA potentially destroying his focus and the former because hes not a good fit with Sexton at all and may not be content with a role that is next to Sexton or behind him.

1 nba tv game all season [first half ]at LAC on Valentines day... pathetic and so I am sure the lack of respect for the young players will continue.
but yeah all games are on FSOH as far as I know nothing changed

Thats insane that we get no primetime games
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,083

Post#108 » by jbk1234 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:12 am

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Pass the ball to your teammates isn't exactly some MENSA level X & O stuff. The flip side of coaching turmoil is bad for development is that if you're on your third coach, and you as a player are still having the same issues, coaching probably isn't the problem. I hope that what we saw at the end of last season was it finally starting click for Sexton. I really do. But, there's no way I'd burn an entire half a season with him as a starter if he hasn't figured it out yet. We've got five young guys on this roster who need to develop, not just one.

I mean all those coaches were around for half a season at most and kept giving different direction/roles to be fulfilled. When you tell a player to focus on scoring and they do, efficiently at that, you're complaining they're not passing when they're told to score? It's be one thing if he had a poor TS% but he's above average there for the position. If you want to knock him for his defense, the effort he put into it, and losing his man when off-ball, go right ahead, those are things that regardless of role/direction won't change, but complaining about his passing. I mean what is your excuse for Garlands poor passing then?
I've said, at least 100 times, that starting the two of them together is a disservice to both of them and the team overall. But Sexton played like 70 games under Casey his rookie season and more than 42 games under Beilein.

If you believe that no one on the coaching staff asked Sexton to share the ball with his teammates, or even try to run a basic NBA set, while he was the primary ball handler for all of those games, then that's what you believe. That's not what I believe and I really hope I'm correct because the alternative is terrifying. We finished second to last in the NBA both seasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#109 » by Stillwater » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:32 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Pass the ball to your teammates isn't exactly some MENSA level X & O stuff. The flip side of coaching turmoil is bad for development is that if you're on your third coach, and you as a player are still having the same issues, coaching probably isn't the problem. I hope that what we saw at the end of last season was it finally starting click for Sexton. I really do. But, there's no way I'd burn an entire half a season with him as a starter if he hasn't figured it out yet. We've got five young guys on this roster who need to develop, not just one.

I mean all those coaches were around for half a season at most and kept giving different direction/roles to be fulfilled. When you tell a player to focus on scoring and they do, efficiently at that, you're complaining they're not passing when they're told to score? It's be one thing if he had a poor TS% but he's above average there for the position. If you want to knock him for his defense, the effort he put into it, and losing his man when off-ball, go right ahead, those are things that regardless of role/direction won't change, but complaining about his passing. I mean what is your excuse for Garlands poor passing then?
I've said, at least 100 times, that starting the two of them together is a disservice to both of them and the team overall. But Sexton played like 70 games under Casey his rookie season and more than 42 games under Beilein.

If you believe that no one on the coaching staff asked Sexton to share the ball with his teammates, or even try to run a basic NBA set, while he was the primary ball handler for all of those games, then that's what you believe. That's not what I believe and I really hope I'm correct because the alternative is terrifying. We finished second to last in the NBA both seasons.

I think it was always a green light no matter what in year 1 and it pissed off a lot of vets but I def think the goal was him just doing his thing and being coached up along the way during that tanking season because he was the one young player in development mode and needed reps.
As far as last season I think it was more about the struggles with garland than anything else where Sexton definitely wasnt being told to find his teammates unless he had no decent look and they were secondary in that plan. but I also think they were asking DG to be a pg and try to run the offense more than they were Sexton.
interestingly enough when JBB stepped in Sexton played with intent to hunt for not only his own shot but try to create more and be in more of a distributor role and imo did a damn good job I mean it was almost like the blinders came off and somebody let him be a damn pg instead of telling him to score all the time with reckless abandon
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#110 » by LivingLegend » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

So did we ever figure out how to watch these games with no FSO on Youtube/Hulu/Sling anymore?

Ive spend way too much time researching what streaming services carry the regional sports networks recently and the only one I came up with was AT&T Now. Ive even looked into IPTV as a much cheaper option but that seems out of my technology understanding range.

What are you all going to do? Do you still have cable?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,083

Post#111 » by jbk1234 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:12 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

So did we ever figure out how to watch these games with no FSO on Youtube/Hulu/Sling anymore?

Ive spend way too much time researching what streaming services carry the regional sports networks recently and the only one I came up with was AT&T Now. Ive even looked into IPTV as a much cheaper option but that seems out of my technology understanding range.

What are you all going to do? Do you still have cable?
I assume that Sinclair is still negotiating with these guys. It's a game of chicken that I expect to get sorted out immediately prior to the season starting.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#112 » by JonFromVA » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:09 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

There's typically league pass free preview up through the first week of the season.

The game is supposed to be on LP #1 channel.

Alas, they may black it out in Cleveland ...
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#113 » by LivingLegend » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:00 am

I dnt want to overreact to a preseason game but man....looks like the Cavs might regret not perusing Giles.....
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#114 » by Stillwater » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:33 pm

LivingLegend wrote:I dnt want to overreact to a preseason game but man....looks like the Cavs might regret not perusing Giles.....

imo he looks like that in preseason every year lol
I dont think they will regret it and maybe they did inquire but he wasnt interested in joining a roster where he would not get much run at all on a 1 yr deal...I mean if Maker is even just as good as he was in the past with his length to defend and floor stretching ability hes better than Giles

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers