Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,301

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#181 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:28 pm

James Gatz wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
amcoolio wrote:Unlikely in the NBA because one star player, especially on a rookie contract, holds more value than anything else

If we miss the playoffs I think we have a good chance at a top 7 pick because every team in the west will have better records than us except OKC, and there are more than 7 great players in this draft

If we really wanted to lock in a playoff spot Horford would be a Hornet by now. I suspect the plan is to aim for the sweet spot in the lottery. We also have some flexibility to move up a few notches if we like someone out of our range. I don't think adding Hayward changed our trajectory. The Wizards added Westbrook. The Hawks added Gallinari + Bogdonavic and filled out their bench. The Wolves will have a full year of Beasely + Russell and don't own their 2021 pick so they won't be tanking. Plus they added Rubio for vet leadership and he's a team player who will balance KAT, Russell, Beasely, Edwards.
Steph is back with the Warriors. Oubre in place of an injured Klay. Oladipo should be recovered for the Pacers. Raptors, Celtics, Bucks, Heat, Sixers, Nets with KD are all on a different tier. I'm confident we will be in the lottery.

Thunder, Pistons, Knicks, Bulls and Cavs are the only teams clearly worse. We could be slotted for pick 6 before the drawing.

There's always a surprise team like GSW last year that is terrible due to injury or some other factors. Rockets could easily be worse than us if they move Harden. I also think Bulls have the potential to be better than us, have them in a similar tier.

I think we'll likely end up with the 8th-9th pick and miss out on the top guys in this class. Still if we end up with a flawed wing I'd be happy. Guys like Zhaire, BJ, Keon should all be in the mix for us.

Outside of Cade, Mobley is the guy I'd want most for us. Cade will be better but not sure he and Lamelo really coexist. Still, if you get #1 you draft Cade. I have zero interest in trading him for a boatload. I'd rather move on from melo.

I have a hard time identifying a team outside of the 5 I listed that we will pass (Thunder, Knicks, Cavs, Bulls, Pistons). Name any team and it looks bad for us (good for draft position though). Seeing the Heat and Nuggets make their run emboldened GM's. Fringe playoff teams like the Suns added Chris Paul. I guess maybe the Pelicans minus Holiday? They could be bad or one injury from a tank. I'm sticking with slot 6 heading into the drawing.

As far as our target outside of Cade, I also like Mobley. Green interests me as well. I won't rule out us adding a franchise piece through this draft.
It has been written...
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#182 » by LofJ » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:43 pm

Moses Moody reminds me a lot of Beal. He's strong, rebounds well, has good basketball IQ, and he's a hell of a shooter. He isn't quite as athletic as Beal was at that age, but Moody is bigger so it makes up for that somewhat. He's up there with Suggs, Green, Mobley, Johnson, Barnes, and Kuminga in my opinion.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,057

Post#183 » by JMAC3 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:16 am

I love how active this thread is so early in the year, but one thing to remember is that these teams are often playing horrible competition early in the year (not always) and also teams have not been able to watch their strengths and weaknesses.

Once we get into conference play and tendencies are identified is when young players hit the wall or struggle. My guess is we will start the typical "he has warts'" phase soon where we figure out certain guys can't go left or shoot off the dribble etc...
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#184 » by Soul Rebel » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:42 am

MasterIchiro wrote:
James Gatz wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
If we really wanted to lock in a playoff spot Horford would be a Hornet by now. I suspect the plan is to aim for the sweet spot in the lottery. We also have some flexibility to move up a few notches if we like someone out of our range. I don't think adding Hayward changed our trajectory. The Wizards added Westbrook. The Hawks added Gallinari + Bogdonavic and filled out their bench. The Wolves will have a full year of Beasely + Russell and don't own their 2021 pick so they won't be tanking. Plus they added Rubio for vet leadership and he's a team player who will balance KAT, Russell, Beasely, Edwards.
Steph is back with the Warriors. Oubre in place of an injured Klay. Oladipo should be recovered for the Pacers. Raptors, Celtics, Bucks, Heat, Sixers, Nets with KD are all on a different tier. I'm confident we will be in the lottery.

Thunder, Pistons, Knicks, Bulls and Cavs are the only teams clearly worse. We could be slotted for pick 6 before the drawing.

There's always a surprise team like GSW last year that is terrible due to injury or some other factors. Rockets could easily be worse than us if they move Harden. I also think Bulls have the potential to be better than us, have them in a similar tier.

I think we'll likely end up with the 8th-9th pick and miss out on the top guys in this class. Still if we end up with a flawed wing I'd be happy. Guys like Zhaire, BJ, Keon should all be in the mix for us.

Outside of Cade, Mobley is the guy I'd want most for us. Cade will be better but not sure he and Lamelo really coexist. Still, if you get #1 you draft Cade. I have zero interest in trading him for a boatload. I'd rather move on from melo.

I have a hard time identifying a team outside of the 5 I listed that we will pass (Thunder, Knicks, Cavs, Bulls, Pistons). Name any team and it looks bad for us (good for draft position though). Seeing the Heat and Nuggets make their run emboldened GM's. Fringe playoff teams like the Suns added Chris Paul. I guess maybe the Pelicans minus Holiday? They could be bad or one injury from a tank. I'm sticking with slot 6 heading into the drawing.

As far as our target outside of Cade, I also like Mobley. Green interests me as well. I won't rule out us adding a franchise piece through this draft.

I would classify us as a fringe playoff team judging by our late season performance and the arc we were trending towards. True the Suns added Paul, but we also added GH and drafted Ball. The East will be a tougher Conference than last year, but I find it hard to not imagine us being at least an 8 seed.

Cunningham, Mobley and Green look outstanding. I also like the Stanford kid too to plug in on the wing. Lots of intrigue for where we will slot when it's all said and done. Also a very packed draft of not only stud players in the top-5, but also strength of depth through at least the top-10....as of now.

I might be missing your point of where we stack up in the overall scheme of things.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#185 » by UNCNYC » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:05 am

Wow I am I now have Evan Mobley ranked 3rd as to the Centers I would draft Geesh

Sandro Mamukelashvili is Awesome. WOW

UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#186 » by UNCNYC » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:08 pm

I am watching the FLORIDA VS FLORIDA ST game now and SCOTTIE BARNES is the TRUTH. He has 13 pts at half already. He is actually playing PG. He is a PF/PG. I would rather BARNES (if he keeps playing like he is) than Cade. Getting a PF that can play PG is sick.

One thing I notice is this draft is deep but just missing something and that something might just be that we don't have the 3rd pick like last year. Other than that it's fairly deep. We should have at our disposable posiible pics of

PICK 1 - Scottie Barnes, Ayo Dosunmu, David Duke, James Bouknight (just to name a few)

PICK 2 - a whole bunch of guys. And deep at every position.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#187 » by UNCNYC » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:47 pm

Welp after watching a FULL game on Scottie Barnes I came away with mixed-ish feelings. He is a 6'9" 230 lbs or so PG, but still kinda raw and I'm not sure about his shooting. And he plays PF so not sure we need that position. We need more of SG and or SF and CENTER. Now the best player I have seen this year in a actual game has been DAVID DUKE. I have seen Cade, Barnes, Ayo, Bouknight and Mobley and DUKE has been better than all. Although they have been impressive as well. My thing is we could do

------
OPTION 1 -

PICK 1 - David Duke, Ayo Dosunmu, James Bouknight, Jalen Green

PICK 2 - Best Available Center

There are some good big men that should be left 2nd round.

-----
OPTION 2 -

PICK 1 - Evan Mobley

PICK 2 - Ayo Dosunmu, Moses Moody, Adam Miller, JaDen Shackleford, Macio Teague

(Dosunmu a slight possibility but more than likely Bouknight and Duke would be gone)

With this option its not a given Mobley will fall.

-----
OPTION 3 -

PICK 1 - Best available

PICK 2 - Best available
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,109

Post#188 » by SWedd523 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:52 pm

How do you only have 2,800 posts?
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#189 » by UNCNYC » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:57 pm

I know what we should do. More than likely we will draft in our same ole 10-ish spot.

We should DEFINATELY trade back and use pick 1 on

PICK 1 - David Duke, Ayo Dosunmu, James Bouknight

PICK 2 - Azuolas Tubelis, Sandro Mamukelashvili

-----
Graham / Ball
Rozier / Duke, Ayo, Bouknight
Hayward / Bridges
PJ / McDaniels
Zeller / Azuolas Tubelis, Sandro Mamukelashvili

Plus a future 1st rounder. I think DUKE has alstar potential and I think Azuolas Tubelis, or Sandro Mamukelashvili could be hidden center Gems.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,201

Post#190 » by amcoolio » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:01 pm

JMAC3 wrote:I love how active this thread is so early in the year, but one thing to remember is that these teams are often playing horrible competition early in the year (not always) and also teams have not been able to watch their strengths and weaknesses.

Once we get into conference play and tendencies are identified is when young players hit the wall or struggle. My guess is we will start the typical "he has warts'" phase soon where we figure out certain guys can't go left or shoot off the dribble etc...

Going by pure eye test, Cunningham and Mobley's youtube highlights are way, way better than Wiseman's was for his 3 games. Mobley looks like Abdul-Jabbar next to Wiseman.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#191 » by UNCNYC » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:20 pm

Here are some fun predictions I will make. These are just fun predictions not I told ya so's lol.

Jared Butler - Will be better than Cade Cunningham.

David Duke - Will be better than Jalen Green.

James Bouknight - Will be better than Zhiarre Williams.

Both Gache - Will be better than Jalen Johnson.

Ayo Dosunmu - Will be better than Jalen Suggs.

Azuolas Tubelis, or Brady Manek, or Sandro Mamukelashvili - Will be better than Evan Mobley (long shot)
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#192 » by UNCNYC » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:43 am

Ayo might have had a career high with 36 pts today. A good total because I think it came againt a cross town rival in undefeaded Marquette.

----
Scotty Pippen JR FINALLY plays his 2nd game of the season on Sunday. In his opener he had 25 pts. His game will be on sec network 2:00 pm. Not sure what to expect from him but I think he will continue his climb.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,664

Post#193 » by Diop » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:05 am

Read on Twitter

has anyone talked about this fella yet? plays like a bull

best compliment i read about him was how smart he was around the basket. so he's not all bully ball which wouldn't work in the NBA. (unless your Shaq)
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#194 » by UNCNYC » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:54 am

Diop wrote:
Read on Twitter

best compliment i read about him was how smart he was around the basket. so he's not all bully ball which wouldn't work in the NBA. (unless your Shaq)

Diop, you already do EVERYTHING right. Can you please leave the no names to someone who does very little right to me lol. Man that guy is a stud. Thanks for the post.

Him >>> Evan Mobley lol.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#195 » by UNCNYC » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:22 am

I just realized. I post a lot of no name guys but the hornets have drafted or acquired a bunch.

PLAYERS I POSTED VIDS OF -

DRAFTED - Riller, McDaniels,
ACQUIRED - Keandre Cook, Khalil Whitney, Christian Wood, Xavier Sneed

-----
PLAYERS I SUGGESTED -

DRAFTED - Devonte Graham, Cody Martin, Arnoldas Kulboka
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,664

Post#196 » by Diop » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:35 am

UNCNYC wrote:
Diop wrote:
Read on Twitter

Diop, you already do EVERYTHING right. Can you please leave the no names to someone who does very little right to me lol. Man that guy is a stud. Thanks for the post.

Him >>> Evan Mobley lol.

To be fair I just follow dx on Twitter
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,057

Post#197 » by JMAC3 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:47 pm

UNCNYC wrote:I just realized. I post a lot of no name guys but the hornets have drafted or acquired a bunch.

PLAYERS I POSTED VIDS OF -

DRAFTED - Riller, McDaniels,
ACQUIRED - Keandre Cook, Khalil Whitney, Christian Wood, Xavier Sneed

-----
PLAYERS I SUGGESTED -

DRAFTED - Devonte Graham, Cody Martin, Arnoldas Kulboka

Plus an additional 249 players lol... this would be like me putting 1 chip on 35 out 50 squares in Roulette and then bragging that I won on a couple of them... most likely I lost money in this scenario.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,543

Post#198 » by yosemiteben » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:37 pm

My two cents - you should probably use the draft board if you're going to post your stream of conscious takes on prospects like this. The constant updates on your draft board and seemingly intentionally contrarian weighting of prospects definitely get tired and make it seem worthless to read any particular post you make because either you'll repeat it a bunch of times or it'll change as soon as you come across a YouTube clip of someone else.

That's just my opinion, others may not share. I'm not saying you shouldn't post your thoughts on prospects in this thread at all, but for me it's definitely a little much and turns me off from the thread altogether.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

2021 NBA DRAFT - UP TO DATE IN DEPTH TRACKER 

Post#199 » by UNCNYC » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:49 am

Hi guys, I created this thread for a more in depth look at the draft.

FOR OUR NEWCOMERS - Our other thread is a more general look at the draft. There you will find 1st rounders and projected players.

Here is a more IN THE ZONE look at it.

FRINGE PLAYERS - Here you can post more fringe players that others might not have heard of. This thread is a little
more designed for 2nd rounders or unheard ofs. (that are of course players that are being considered for the draft.)
You can also post 1st rounders but this draft thread gives you more of an edge.

DEPTH CHARTS - Also you can add depth charts (hence the name IN DEPTH). These are players that YOU LIKE. You be the "REALGM".

IN DEPTH PROSPECTS - This thread is designed to give you a more IN DEPTH look at the draft prospects. You can post a story
about a player. Highlights etc... Even players that you see coming in the future.

UP TO DATE - You can also post up to date things like if there is a specific game you want to recommend to watch.
Or maybe a player that had a big game that you want to share.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Re: 2021 NBA DRAFT - UP TO DATE IN DEPTH TRACKER 

Post#200 » by UNCNYC » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:52 am

My first post is by a player I forgot all about. I posted him before. His name is Troy Baxter. I always thought he had loads of Talent and I think he is starting to come out of his shell. Here are some high lights..

UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman

Return to Charlotte Hornets