7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Re: Scottie Barnes 

Post#2 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:06 am

I almost named this thread "Scottie Barnes - the new breed of PF"

I love this guy, he is built like Ben Simmons, maybe a little more heft where Simmons is more chiseled, but Scottie might be a inch taller overall probably weighs more.

I see a guy who will play PF in the NBA, but will be able to play PG thought the game on offense.

He just attacks, attacks and attacks the rim. Great wingspan and athleticism, he will finished OVER you. His handle is NBA level for driving to the basket against most defenders imo.

If he can get his ft% around 80% and his threes around 36% I think he has franchise player on a title contender upside.

The best part about him to me, is he look like a guy who can mesh and still be elite with other elite talents. I think he actually does have best player on a title team potential if he 100% maximizes his abilities. But more realistically I can see him as a 2nd or 3rd member of a big three team that could run the league.

He plays PG at FSU.

Lamar Odom is a name I've read on here, and it makes sense to a degree but I'd expect better Point-Forward skills, better drive and dish skills, and better leadership intangibles. But Odom was an incredible dedenser and a fine shooter, with good playmaking skills himself. I think Barnes is on a different level as a ball handler and passer.

He's really a new breed of PF imo.

(Idk the odds, but betting FSU to win the ACC and Barnes to win player of the year are probably great value right now.)
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#3 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:52 pm

He's one of those guys that I'm torn on. As a thunder fan, we've had so many players with offensive limitations that I almost hope he's drafted before our pick if it's outside the top 5 because if not, I feel like we have to take him. He's just makes the team much better.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by No-Man » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:00 pm

I love Barnes the player, I like the prospect but his limitations are stark, I think he is a Slo-mo type player, tad more athletic but worse touch, I think he ends up a good pro but I am more in him as a teens guy, maybe late lotto, than a star, I don't see that at all

Still good to be fair
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#5 » by Upperclass » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:05 am

He's Antoine Walker imo
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,281

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:00 am

Upperclass wrote:He's Antoine Walker imo

They can both dribble. Other than that, what's the similarities you see? Draymond seems like the lazy but obvious comparison (sometimes the lazy ones are the best).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#7 » by MemphisX » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:42 am

ThunderBolt wrote:He's one of those guys that I'm torn on. As a thunder fan, we've had so many players with offensive limitations that I almost hope he's drafted before our pick if it's outside the top 5 because if not, I feel like we have to take him. He's just makes the team much better.

This is where I am. As a fan of a team that will likely be picking near his spot, I waffle. I personally love him and I know he is going to make your team better but he is not an offensive force as is...
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,187

Post#8 » by clyde21 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:47 am

well, you're not drafting him to be your offensive force, that is not the point of Scottie Barnes, if that's what you're looking for with your top10/12 pick you probably should be drafting someone else
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,281

Post#9 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:56 am

clyde21 wrote:well, you're not drafting him to be your offensive force, that is not the point of Scottie Barnes, if that's what you're looking for with your top10/12 pick you probably should be drafting someone else

Yup. If I were say, Chicago, and I already had Zach Lavine and Coby White - Barnes is the guy I'd want in that 6-9 range.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#10 » by kobyz » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:52 am

Reminds Walt Williams
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#11 » by MemphisX » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:28 am

Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
clyde21
RealGM

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:45 pm

his open floor game, handle and live dribble game are pretty absurd for someone his size
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#13 » by Marcus » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:55 pm

clyde21 wrote:his open floor game, handle and live dribble game are pretty absurd for someone his size

If he could develop some sort of consistent scoring acumen I think he crosses over from Draymond territory into Siakam territory.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
clyde21
RealGM

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Marcus wrote:
clyde21 wrote:his open floor game, handle and live dribble game are pretty absurd for someone his size

If he could develop some sort of consistent scoring acumen I think he crosses over from Draymond territory into Siakam territory.

i already think he's more Siakam than Dray honestly just because I just don't see him being a DPOY type like Dray was in his prime, kinda of a mix of both actually I'd say
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Marcus » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:02 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

i already think he's more Siakam than Dray honestly just because I just don't see him being a DPOY type like Dray was in his prime, kinda of a mix of both actually I'd say

Definitely a mix, called him that all through high school but he definitely needs to up his offensive versatility to fully reach that Siakam level. A solid mid-range and a go-to in the post around the basket would be a game changer for him. Might not ever be a threat from deep but I do think respectable is obtainable with some work.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#16 » by The-Power » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:17 pm

Marcus wrote:If he could develop some sort of consistent scoring acumen I think he crosses over from Draymond territory into Siakam territory.

Very different players, and prime Draymond is definitely better than anything we've seen from Siakam.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:36 pm

I think he's a bit of a unique player in that he looks quicker on defense than he does on offense. He looks like he's running in quicksand on many of his drives to the basket. Not sure that's going to work in the NBA - especially if his jump shot doesn't improve - teams will just lay off him. He's such a multi-skilled player that he'll have a significant role in the NBA, but I don't see him being a star.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#18 » by doordoor123 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:46 pm

Ruzious wrote:I think he's a bit of a unique player in that he looks quicker on defense than he does on offense. He looks like he's running in quicksand on many of his drives to the basket. Not sure that's going to work in the NBA - especially if his jump shot doesn't improve - teams will just lay off him. He's such a multi-skilled player that he'll have a significant role in the NBA, but I don't see him being a star.

I don’t know what you’re seeing with that. He seems like has a pretty quick first step. He just has good pacing. lol there aren’t many guys with his ability in the league and when they are in the league they’re really good. As someone who watched every Kyle Anderson game when he was in college they are nothing alike. Barnes is not slow at all. Plus he has huge strides. Gets to the basket in like two to three steps.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#19 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:13 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I think he's a bit of a unique player in that he looks quicker on defense than he does on offense. He looks like he's running in quicksand on many of his drives to the basket. Not sure that's going to work in the NBA - especially if his jump shot doesn't improve - teams will just lay off him. He's such a multi-skilled player that he'll have a significant role in the NBA, but I don't see him being a star.

I don’t know what you’re seeing with that. He seems like has a pretty quick first step. He just has good pacing. lol there aren’t many guys with his ability in the league and when they are in the league they’re really good. As someone who watched every Kyle Anderson game when he was in college they are nothing alike. Barnes is not slow at all. Plus he has huge strides. Gets to the basket in like two to three steps.

Look at the drives that start at .38 and at 1.43 in the video that was posted. There's no getting around that those are slow-footed drives regardless of how long the strides are - not to mention he's being covered by tiny defenders who were probably expecting help. No doubt, he shows good body control - but not good quickness or explosion, imo. I concur that he's better than Anderson, but that's besides the point.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by Marcus » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:54 pm

Don't think you draft Scottie looking to find a star. Like I said before I'm not running any sets for him more of a ball mover that will get his opportunistically. You draft Scottie for his defensive versatility, playmaking, IQ, energy, and intangibles. If he becomes someone that gets you buckets on his own that's gravy.
Watch More Basketball

Return to NBA Draft