Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Re: Welcome to OKC Aleksej POKUsevski 

Post#81 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Dec 4, 2020 10:49 am

1bigfan13 wrote:
Mickey8 wrote:Jokic is the least athletic player in the league yet he's one of the most productive players playing in the NBA. OKC shouldn't be concerned about Pokusevksi athleticism , him naturally being thin and not being physically strong to hold on his own , thats the major concern about him right now.

He's definitely a bit of a project who's going to probably need at least 2 or 3 full seasons before he starts to fill out both physically and mentally. I'm actually not a fan of OKC taking fliers on these types of players (high school caliber). Because OKC is a small market team I'd rather bring in players who are ready to contribute in the NBA in year one. That way we can at least get 5 quality years out of them before they leave. Lets face it, quality free agents aren't exactly beating down the door to sign in OKC. Even when we were at our height it was a struggle convincing quality free agents to join the team. So I worry about OKC putting themselves in positions where they spend 3 years developing these skilled players who are projects, only to have the player jet via FA or trade right when they've finally developed into a quality player.

When you are late in the first round, it’s even hard to find players ready to contribute in year one. I can see the argument against guys like Ferguson and Bazley when we had Russ and PG here. Now that they are gone, it makes sense to take a shot on a guy like Poku rather than hope you get a 24 year old Brandon Clark in the first year of your rebuild.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#82 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Dec 4, 2020 4:23 pm

English is good. I thought he sounded confident but not arrogant.
"Whatever coach asks me to do, that's my job...I want to learn from every guy on the club...I want to listen and learn."
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#83 » by bbms » Mon Dec 7, 2020 6:15 pm

Looking forward to seeing this guy's development. If I was in Presti's position, I would look forward only drafting boom or bust players. It's the only approach that makes sense for the Thunder in the middle picks.

There's no sign indicating this organization has tanking intentions (and the toxic environment that comes with it). High risk, high reward picks seems to be the trend in the long run if this team want to acquire future stars, given the probable middle-strength of draft capital.

The NBA is all about star power, so drafting players without unique traits or high upside is the second worst thing the Thunder can do. The absolute worst would be drafting for need. Low-risk picks only makes sense in the final stages of a competitive team building.

This pick IMO lays down the blueprint for the Thunder's strategy in the next few years: avoid castrating young player's competitive fire with tanking for top 5 picks, and pick flawed prospects with unique traits.

This is a winning strategy, and Presti made me satisfied.

I also enjoy Greek basketball culture. Tough as nails, physical and competitive basketball style.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#84 » by jambalaya » Tue Dec 8, 2020 4:02 am

Pokusevski's height is pretty impressive and may increase. Wingspan, fine but not amazing. Vertical reach? Might be less impressive. Seems to have a long neck imo. The vertical reach will be less for that to some degree. The final factor is in the shoulders. Proportions, flex and stretch.

How do his standing vertical reach and max vertical reach with jumping compare to the average NBA player who is 6-10 or 6-11? He may not be above average vertically in practical terms. If not, that takes away some of the argument that he is special. But I imagine Presti will bath in the cool backstory as long as possible.

Beyond that, how well does the projection of Pokusevski fit with the reality or dreams of Maledon, SGA, Dort, Bazley, etc.?

Does SGA / Dort driving fit with Poku driving too? First move or threat by one opening possibility for good opportunities for another or just turn sharing and standing around watching the others? Poku and Baze both shooting 3s allows some possibility of cuts or postups; or will it be defenses saying fine, we aren't concerned about either of their perimeter games and we are going to pack the paint and meet and stop SGA, Maledon and Dort going toward the rim and also outman your center on rebounding from this glass?

Is there much / any advantage of having a lineup with 5 guys who think they can / should push the ball with the dribble over 3, 2 or 1? And given that passing is often faster?

Is one of Bazley or Pokusevski going to end up the backup PF to the other or the next PF or will either be there in 3-5 years? What type are they going for? How important is handle & passing from PF in the future line up design compared to posting, offensive rebounding, size at rim, or beef on D?

Are they committed to a 3 or 5 year project? Do they feel they have time to wait 3-5 years with others coming online for chances? What level of disappointment would trigger a demotion in the design or trade?

The answer will update year to year, maybe from some month to a new answer the next month someday. Keep in high position or not.

Pokusevski and Bazley are not modeled on Collison or Grant. Are they looking for the next Gallinari or Durant? Is there a reasonable basis for selecting that type or hoping for anything above average for either type? Or are either a Jeff Green type (whatever that was or was supposed to be)? Don't seem like Ibaka types. Could they end being used a lot like Muscala? Big man handle & passing often goes unused, existent or not.

Which happens more, soon or later, Pokusevski setting picks or having picks set for him? Does he set up in half court initially at 15 feet or 24 plus ft?

When people think about upside or extreme upside potential, which comes more to mind: Doncic, Magic Johnson, Jokic, Chris Webber, Chris Bosh, Bargnani, Hezonja, Jonathan Bender, Siakam, Kuzma, Layman, Kyle Anderson, Avdija, Doumbouya, LeVert, Jaren Jackson, Ingram ...?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Dec 8, 2020 10:48 pm

Read on Twitter
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#86 » by jake_swivel » Wed Dec 9, 2020 12:47 am

I wonder what the first day of NBA practice is like when your previous experience is the Greek second division.
bbms
Analyst

Post#87 » by bbms » Wed Dec 9, 2020 1:43 am

jake_swivel wrote:I wonder what the first day of NBA practice is like when your previous experience is the Greek second division.

While in the 190s lbs weight.**

This is something only the reigning NBA MVP can answer for you.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,269

Post#88 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Dec 9, 2020 5:31 am

jake_swivel wrote:I wonder what the first day of NBA practice is like when your previous experience is the Greek second division.

Probably less physical and also less team smoke breaks.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:08 am

Read on Twitter

He really does sound mature and ready to work.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,142

Post#90 » by Mickey8 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:31 pm

You could have said that about Giannis too , I am not saying Pokusevski is going to be as good as or better than him, but Pokusevski have played basketball all of his life ,also Greeks are famous for playing physical brand of basketball :wink:
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:01 pm

I think the key with Poku is do the fans really believe he is a 2-3 year project? If he completely sucks this year will everyone be patient enough to let him get a real nba offseason under his belt or conclude he’s a bust?
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#92 » by namlede » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:35 am

As long as he shows flashes of brilliance and plays hard I'll give him time.
ThunderBolt wrote:I think the key with Poku is do the fans really believe he is a 2-3 year project? If he completely sucks this year will everyone be patient enough to let him get a real nba offseason under his belt or conclude he’s a bust?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
bbms
Analyst

Post#93 » by bbms » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:29 pm

Worried that he's already been rushed.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:55 pm

bbms wrote:Worried that he's already been rushed.

We are somewhat opposite of the spurs in that regard. Spurs fans sometimes get frustrated with guys not getting enough time and getting pulled too quickly. Guys like Sabonis, Ferguson, diallo and bazley for run right away.
bbms
Analyst

Post#95 » by bbms » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:18 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

We are somewhat opposite of the spurs in that regard. Spurs fans sometimes get frustrated with guys not getting enough time and getting pulled too quickly. Guys like Sabonis, Ferguson, diallo and bazley for run right away.

I'd say they have more experience than us in that regard, so they might be right. :lol:

Their staff are more successful, though.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:36 pm

bbms wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

I'd say they have more experience than us in that regard, so they might be right. :lol:

Their staff are more successful, though.

I think the key is reps. For the most part, nba, g-league or practice, experience and good coaching help regardless of where it’s coming from. As long as we aren’t building a culture or entitlement with our young guys, I’m ok with nba experience if we really aren’t trying to win games.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:45 pm

I can’t stop watching this shot and laughing. Reminds me of Noah’s airball with the Knicks.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#98 » by spearsy23 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:55 pm

My concern with getting a guy 'reps' is what you're building towards. Give a guy like Andrew Wiggins reps as a superstar and you're building a losing player when he isn't good enough to be that. Reps need to be targeted and there needs to be a plan for how to develop a guy.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#99 » by thedoppelganger » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:16 pm

Read on Twitter

For every promising drive like this there were 2 that he had no clue where he was going. Still - this is an impressive read for his size/age
bbms
Analyst

Post#100 » by bbms » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:49 am

My favourite was that pull up off the pick and roll from three.

Made me wet and hoping

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder