Post#81 » by Speedlot » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:54 pm

EARN IN. I'm down for him to want this.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Dennis Schröder: Starting job prerequisite for trade with Lakers 

Post#82 » by Kilroy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:51 pm

Bring this back up for the hell of it and to push the old game threads down a notch...

I'm starting to think Schroder had no intention of signing an extension with us and made the Starting Job demand, so he could be showcased on a Contender leading into free agency...

I think Rob and Rich Paul got played, or played themselves...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#83 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:23 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:After 1 half of the 1st preseason game. I've already made up my mind if he's a starter or not

Oh by the way, that was a No
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#84 » by iamworthy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:47 pm

Kilroy wrote:Bring this back up for the hell of it and to push the old game threads down a notch...

I'm starting to think Schroder had no intention of signing an extension with us and made the Starting Job demand, so he could be showcased on a Contender leading into free agency...

But we only gave up Danny Green so its a win in my opinion. And relieving some of the ball handling duties from Lebron. Didnt Slava say that no contender has cap room? If he wants to be a starter on the Pistons good luck with that.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#85 » by Kilroy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 pm

iamworthy wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Bring this back up for the hell of it and to push the old game threads down a notch...

But we only gave up Danny Green so its a win in my opinion. And relieving some of the ball handling duties from Lebron. Didnt Slava say that no contender has cap room? If he wants to be a starter on the Pistons good luck with that.

I mean, on one hand, it was a low risk move to get the ball out of Lebron's hands a bit, and it was a flashy signing... But on the other hand, it could have netted them Kyle Lowry for a couple years, relatively cheap... I don't know how close we really were (I don't think we were a THT away though), but if you're going to toss his name out there in trades, you better be serious about trading him, because you're only going to salt the well of negotiating with him on an extension if you don't move him... So, on the other hand, I think they needed to make sure they had agreed to an extension with him well before the trade deadline, or they needed to be serious about shipping him out at the deadline... Which means, if you have Kyle Lowry on the hook, you find a way to close that deal and get Schroder out...
Maybe they're still posturing... But at the end of the day, I don't care what happens to Schroder in Free Agency, because I don't want us getting anywhere near what he's likely to be offered by a team like Detroit, in your example...

I just can't for the life of me, figure out why we wouldn't just give him the 21M/4yrs he's entitled to... So my thinking is he must just straight not want it.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#86 » by BEazy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:16 pm

LeBron and AD obviously see something in THT that a lot of us don't see. Sometimes people tend to be harsh on THT because he plays like a vet, but in reality he's only 20 years old. I think when he's 24-25 years old, we're going to be glad we didn't trade him for a aging Lowry.

As for Dennis, trading for this guy was a mistake. He's too entitled.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#87 » by SweetTouch » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:30 pm

Not sure about Dennis

He’s a young buck tryna get paid and wants to make a name for himself

The LA life doesn’t seem to do much for him

With news the Lakers were willing to trade him. That’s clear signs he up out this mutha f ucka in the offseason
Stop being so disrespectful.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#88 » by zimpy27 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:28 am

Kilroy wrote:
iamworthy wrote:

I mean, on one hand, it was a low risk move to get the ball out of Lebron's hands a bit, and it was a flashy signing... But on the other hand, it could have netted them Kyle Lowry for a couple years, relatively cheap... I don't know how close we really were (I don't think we were a THT away though), but if you're going to toss his name out there in trades, you better be serious about trading him, because you're only going to salt the well of negotiating with him on an extension if you don't move him... So, on the other hand, I think they needed to make sure they had agreed to an extension with him well before the trade deadline, or they needed to be serious about shipping him out at the deadline... Which means, if you have Kyle Lowry on the hook, you find a way to close that deal and get Schroder out...
Maybe they're still posturing... But at the end of the day, I don't care what happens to Schroder in Free Agency, because I don't want us getting anywhere near what he's likely to be offered by a team like Detroit, in your example...

I just can't for the life of me, figure out why we wouldn't just give him the 21M/4yrs he's entitled to... So my thinking is he must just straight not want it.

I thought similarly. Lakers were happy to trade Schroeder and KCP and more for Lowry who wanted $25m per season at 35 and 36 years old.

I'm sure Schroeder is unimpressed by that but then hopefully he can recognise that it's business and Lowry is a better player.

At the end of the day, if Lakers offer him equal to what he gets elsewhere then he will stay to play with the Laker teammates.

Lakers have paid luxury tax 9 times for a total of $150m. Next year is looking like $60m if Caruso, THT and Schroeder resign. It's a bit steep.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#89 » by slifersd » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:13 am

Don't really know what Schroder is looking for, tbh. I know he is a good player who is still fairly young, but he has some clear deficiencies as a player too. As a PG, he doesn't elevate his teammates because he is more of a scorer than a natural PG. As a scorer, he can sometimes be dynamic but hardly dominant. I mean, do you really foresee Schroder averaging 20 points a game on any team in the NBA? In an age where there are plenty of good point guards in the league, you have to wonder what team would want to pay him 20M+ to begin with. No offense to the guy, but Schroder is a more souped up version of Lou Williams. Guys like that don't get 20M+ in the NBA.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#90 » by mcscotty » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:16 am

slifersd wrote:Don't really know what Schroder is looking for, tbh. I know he is a good player who is still fairly young, but he has some clear deficiencies as a player too. As a PG, he doesn't elevate his teammates because he is more of a scorer than a natural PG. As a scorer, he can sometimes be dynamic but hardly dominant. I mean, do you really foresee Schroder averaging 20 points a game on any team in the NBA? In an age where there are plenty of good point guards in the league, you have to wonder what team would want to pay him 20M+ to begin with. No offense to the guy, but Schroder is a more souped up version of Lou Williams. Guys like that don't get 20M+ in the NBA.

Shroder and KCP couldn't net 35 year old Kyle Lowry. That's pretty telling. They've got a few good basketball minds in the Raptors FO.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#91 » by kblo247 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:14 am

If you compare it to last season then yeah. His efficiency was better last season than it was at any other time in his career. I think we'll see it go up with him now being a larger part of the offense by necessity. But he had only hit 45% one other time in his career from the field, before shooting 46.9% last season. This year he's exactly at his career average at 43.6%.

His three point shot is the main thing down (1.8% below his career average and 6.7% from last season's career best). His assists are the highest since he left Atlanta though, his rebounding 0.6 higher than his career numbers and just a tick below (0.1%) what he averaged in the past two seasons. He has a career high in steals and is playing good defense.

His stats are down because he's playing with other stars, along with him not shooting the three ball as well as he did last season. With Lebron also out though he's been putting up some pretty good numbers to the tune of 17.8 points, and 6.5 assists in the month of March (last 12 games) while shooting over 35% from three. In the 5 games since Lebron got hurt he's averaged 19.6 points (46.9% fg, 37.5% 3p, 90.9% ft), 6.8 assists, 3.6 rebounds, and 2.2 steals per game.

I think most of Dennis' struggles this season have been trying to fit in with the team and adjust to not being the man off the bench. That's going to be a problem with just about any point guard you bring in to this team as they won't have the bal in their hands as often playing alongside Lebron. Shooters will benefit from it but pick and roll guards will have fewer opportunities. Schroder for example is taking 2.8 less shots than he took last season and 5.1 fewer shots than he took in his last season in Atlanta.
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,961

Post#92 » by SweetTouch » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:24 pm

Windfatty just said Dennis turned down a 84 million extension

What the f uck
Stop being so disrespectful.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#93 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:13 pm

If true, thats some sh**
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#94 » by Kilroy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:13 pm

SweetTouch wrote:Windfatty just said Dennis turned down a 84 million extension

What the f uck

That was all anyone could offer him in an extension... So, he wants to be a free agent then...

Fine, but apparently, we'll have his bird rights and can offer him more than anyone else... That said, I don't want to.
Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 7,080

Post#95 » by Freighttrain » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:30 pm

Kilroy wrote:

What the f uck

That was all anyone could offer him in an extension... So, he wants to be a free agent then...

Fine, but apparently, we'll have his bird rights and can offer him more than anyone else... That said, I don't want to.

Does he actually think he's deserving of 25 mil or more per year? He's insane. I wish him good luck in FA. As for us, we can try to get a third superstar, someone like Beal perhaps, in the offseason and put Caruso/THT as our primary guard with LeBron again.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#96 » by Kilroy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:56 pm

Freighttrain wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

What the f uck

Does he actually think he's deserving of 25 mil or more per year? He's insane. I wish him good luck in FA. As for us, we can try to get a third superstar, someone like Beal perhaps, in the offseason and put Caruso/THT as our primary guard with LeBron again.

It's not about what he thinks he deserves though... It's about what he and his agent think he may be offered... Right now, they're betting on getting more than the max we can offer him as an extension, and they're probably right... Some team will probably offer him a handfull of millions more than we could, just to make sure he doesn't stay with us... And that's fine...

But no, I don't think he's worth $25M/yr on this team, because I don't think he's a great fit next to LeBron/AD... He's still a pretty good player, and maybe could be an all star on the right team... But it's a bad fit here...

I also really don't like the feeling that he used us to drive up his stock in Free Agency... He clearly had no intention of signing an extension with us, and yet made the starting demand... Only reason that makes sense is because he wanted to be showcased...
It was pretty gutsy and selfish to do that on a reigning Champion...

That said, I think everyone knows it now, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he doesn't start a few games as the season rolls on.
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#97 » by slifersd » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:28 pm

It seems like Schroder is pretty insistent on testing FA. Good for him if he does. We can still offer him more than any other team if we really wanted to, but I for one don't see the market being that robust for him. He is, at best, a 18-6 player in a league full of high level point guards. He is not getting 25M a year anywhere. If someone is dumb enough to offer him that, let's just try to do a sign and trade to get a trade exception and maybe make a move later to replace him. More than one way to skin this cat.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#98 » by Kilroy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:11 pm

I wonder if we bought him out now, how it would affect our ability to retain Drummond long term...
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#99 » by BEazy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:32 pm

Starting to hate how this guy operates. He gets traded here and without playing a single game he demands to start. Then he goes on live TV and states, "I want to be a Laker, but I want what's fair for me." Like wtf does that even mean? You're not even giving out a specific number to the FO so they can work with you. Now you just turned down a 4yr/84 million offer which is 21 million a year. This kid thinks he's that good, but in reality he's not that good.

I knew there was a red flag when he said he didn't want to join the Lakers when he was with OKC. I'd try to sign and trade him ASAP so he doesn't distract us from the rest of our offseason.

Just want him to do his job and then tell him to go demand **** from some other team next season.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#100 » by kblo247 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:18 pm

ScHoolBoy B wrote:Starting to hate how this guy operates. He gets traded here and without playing a single game he demands to start. Then he goes on live TV and states, "I want to be a Laker, but I want what's fair for me." Like wtf does that even mean? You're not even giving out a specific number to the FO so they can work with you. Now you just turned down a 4yr/84 million offer which is 21 million a year. This kid thinks he's that good, but in reality he's not that good.

I knew there was a red flag when he said he didn't want to join the Lakers when he was with OKC. I'd try to sign and trade him ASAP so he doesn't distract us from the rest of our offseason.

Just want him to do his job and then tell him to go demand **** from some other team next season.

It’s not 21 mil per, its 18 and ascending with raises. His current deal he is on is a flat 15.5 every year which is what his agent negotiated.

He would short change himself greatly take the extension compared to being a free agent and saying I’m eligible for the 7-9 year vet max ... it’s not his or his agent job to play ball or be nice in a negotiation, it’s the agents job to apply pressure and his to play well, which he has as he’s been the second best player most the year with ad out so long

Return to Los Angeles Lakers