ImageImageImage

Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,886

Re: Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar! 

Post#81 » by SuperDeluxe » Tue Dec 1, 2020 2:29 am

If that video is representative of this guy's body of work, then this is not your regular 2nd rounder.
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#82 » by Justin33 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:31 am

Even when he was a 17-18 year old and not getting a lot of minutes he played with extreme confidence and thats always a tell for me whether someone will eventually be good in the long run.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#83 » by Half-Full » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:55 am

Justin33 wrote:Even when he was a 17-18 year old and not getting a lot of minutes he played with extreme confidence and thats always a tell for me whether someone will eventually be good in the long run.

I agree. This kid has confidence in his game, and a bulldog tenacity. It's a good combination. He's only 19, but has been playing at a high level for the past couple of years, and has a pretty well-rounded game. I understand that he is under contract for two more years, but that is perfect for the Celtics. Right now our roster is full. Two years from now, who knows what our roster will look like. Hopefully, Yam will have developed to the point that he can find a place on the roster then. In the meantime, it will be fun to monitor his progress.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#84 » by Scoonie » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:01 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:I read people comparing Madar to Tony Parker and also someone describing him as a "playmaking Leandro Barbosa." It looks like his calling card is defense. We'll see.

He moves a lot like Tony Parker out there, and seems to be the same size as well.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#85 » by 31to6 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:19 pm

Half-Full wrote:Yam Madar scouting report from NBA Draft Net rates his defensive skills highly:

A true “pest” on defense … Has all the tools to become a pesky, lock down defender … He doesn’t back down from anyone on the defensive end … Loves to pressure the opposing point guard full court … Makes life miserable for a ball handler … Has very good lateral quickness and active hands, which leads to a lot of steals … Fights his way around ball screens … Hunts his opponent player around off ball screens …

This defensive highlight video shows how accurate that assessment is:

Good lord if he can sustain that effort against NBA players he’d be like Tremont on D (constantly ball-hawking) but with legitimate size.

I’ll admit to having no idea who he was when we picked him but as usual I’ve grown to like it.

If only there had been foreign film when Ben Pepper was picked, we never got to geek out about him the same way.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer

Post#86 » by Half-Full » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:05 pm

31to6 wrote:
Half-Full wrote:Yam Madar scouting report from NBA Draft Net rates his defensive skills highly:

A true “pest” on defense … Has all the tools to become a pesky, lock down defender … He doesn’t back down from anyone on the defensive end … Loves to pressure the opposing point guard full court … Makes life miserable for a ball handler … Has very good lateral quickness and active hands, which leads to a lot of steals … Fights his way around ball screens … Hunts his opponent player around off ball screens …

This defensive highlight video shows how accurate that assessment is:

Good lord if he can sustain that effort against NBA players he’d be like Tremont on D (constantly ball-hawking) but with legitimate size.

I’ll admit to having no idea who he was when we picked him but as usual I’ve grown to like it.

If only there had been foreign film when Ben Pepper was picked, we never got to geek out about him the same way.

He's listed at 6'3", 180lbs. It doesn't seem unreasonable to think he might add 20 lbs over the next two years. So, I'd say yes, legitimate size. :)
Justin33
Sixth Man

Post#87 » by Justin33 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 10:32 pm

Justin33
Sixth Man

Post#88 » by Justin33 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:10 pm

Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#89 » by Homerclease » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:42 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Justin33
Sixth Man

Post#90 » by Justin33 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:31 pm

full highlights last game ;ab_channel=TomaszKordylewski
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#91 » by greenroom31 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:38 pm

Being serious here -- what do you think the chances are that Yam Madar ever plays in the NBA? And what are the chances he plays for the Celtics?

I'd set the lines around ~25% that he plays in the NBA and ~15% that he plays for the Celtics. What do others think?
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#92 » by Homerclease » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:47 pm

greenroom31 wrote:Being serious here -- what do you think the chances are that Yam Madar ever plays in the NBA? And what are the chances he plays for the Celtics?

I'd set the lines around ~25% that he plays in the NBA and ~15% that he plays for the Celtics. What do others think?

I don’t think he ever comes to the NBA tbh
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#93 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:38 pm

I don't see why he wouldn't eventually play as soon as his contract is up with Hapoel Tel Aviv. Two more years and then he can come over as a 21 year old. Why would you put it at 25%? He would be a really cheap, young, developing point guard with good shot mechanics, good length, size, athleticism, defensive potential. Seems like a near-lock he'll be in the NBA barring serious injury.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Justin33
Sixth Man

Post#94 » by Justin33 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:11 pm

Half-Full
Bench Warmer

Post#95 » by Half-Full » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:50 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:I don't see why he wouldn't eventually play as soon as his contract is up with Hapoel Tel Aviv. Two more years and then he can come over as a 21 year old. Why would you put it at 25%? He would be a really cheap, young, developing point guard with good shot mechanics, good length, size, athleticism, defensive potential. Seems like a near-lock he'll be in the NBA barring serious injury.

As you point out, he ticks a lot of boxes. He also appears to be someone who is working hard to improve his game. A good work ethic and a focus on getting to the NBA doesn't hurt his chances. I'm betting he makes it.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#96 » by greenroom31 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:53 am

Bleeding Green wrote:I don't see why he wouldn't eventually play as soon as his contract is up with Hapoel Tel Aviv. Two more years and then he can come over as a 21 year old. Why would you put it at 25%? He would be a really cheap, young, developing point guard with good shot mechanics, good length, size, athleticism, defensive potential. Seems like a near-lock he'll be in the NBA barring serious injury.

What % of stash 2nd round picks eventually come to the league? I’d guess it’s probably in that 25% range... hence my post. Many don’t develop to the point where they’d be useful and some prefer to stay in other countries and play in leagues where they can be stars (or at least starters) instead of end of the bench guys.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#97 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:28 am

greenroom31 wrote:

What % of stash 2nd round picks eventually come to the league? I’d guess it’s probably in that 25% range... hence my post. Many don’t develop to the point where they’d be useful and some prefer to stay in other countries and play in leagues where they can be stars (or at least starters) instead of end of the bench guys.

Good distinction. The probability that he will have the OPPORTUNITY to come to the NBA is higher than the probability that he will actually do so.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#98 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:43 pm

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Half-Full
Bench Warmer

Post#99 » by Half-Full » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:57 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:

He seems to be pretty good from the free throw line. In the several highlight videos I've seen, he hasn't missed one. Checking his stats through 7 games, his free throw percentage is 74.4%
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#100 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:07 pm

greenroom31 wrote:

Yeah maybe you're right. I don't think most 2nd round stashes are point guards with this level of skill and shooting ability. Mostly tall stiffs, or guys with intriguing physical size, but I could be 100 pct mistaken on that. Only real point guard stashes in the last 10 years are David Michineau (much worse statistically than Madar), Cordinier (ditto, and he could still come over), Jaramaz (58th pick, can't shoot), Sanon (hasn't come over yet, still 21, looks interesting), Neto (can shoot, made it to NBA), Satoransky (can shoot, lots of skill, made it to NBA). 2 out of 6 made it to the NBA and Sanon still has a chance. That's not a lot of of players and most of them were terrible shooters in Europe. Madar looks like he has some skill to me with good size and shooting ability.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.

Return to Boston Celtics