ImageImageImage

Luka looks very out of shape

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,894

Luka looks very out of shape 

Post#1 » by Lord Cuban » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:57 am

From the way I’m seeing it, it looks like he is very out of shape and his numbers may decline this year if he doesn’t get his body in shape.

;ab_channel=DallasMavericks
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Re: Luka looks very out of shape 

Post#2 » by Absinthe » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:52 am

He’s definitely out of shape. That is not the build of a professional basketball player. But he had a good game. I can’t argue with the results. Jokic is another example of a player who has struggled with his weight but it really hasn’t impacted his stats. Luka looks like he could lose at least 20 pounds.
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#3 » by wolfram » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:44 am

He is not in best shape by the looks of it. Haven't watched the game - was he gassed? He never really looked in best shape to be honest but was fine anyway. I think he just needs a few weeks of games to get in shape. But it would be beneficial to his ankles to be less heavy for sure.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#4 » by BlueSan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:26 am

I'll just repeat what I asked on the main board

So my only real question is. What is the media doing? It is THEIR JOB to ask those things not questions like, how are you feeling, what do you think about X rookie, etc. Cause those will give no real answers, half the people here want to know what is up with this kid's conditioning. Is he eating **** food or they have some master plan we don't know about? Or what the F is happening...do your JOB ask the question...
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#5 » by Bob8 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:49 am

BlueSan wrote:I'll just repeat what I asked on the main board

So my only real question is. What is the media doing? It is THEIR JOB to ask those things not questions like, how are you feeling, what do you think about X rookie, etc. Cause those will give no real answers, half the people here want to know what is up with this kid's conditioning. Is he eating **** food or they have some master plan we don't know about? Or what the F is happening...do your JOB ask the question...

Yes, it’s actually hilarious, even vast majorities of fans, don’t want to see how out of shape or better to say fat he’s. It’s obvious he’s fat from his first interview. Everyone, media and fans should demand an answer what is going on. It’s not only difficult to play his position with 10+ pounds more, it’s dangerous too. It’s much easier to get hurt being so overweighted and out of shape. And on top of that, we have the most physically and mentally demanding season ever. Games basically every second day. I just cannot understand how professional sportsman cannot have at least decent body? How you can train twice a day and be that fat? Is he eating 10k Kcal per day? And it’s his job after all to be in shape. Luka had his own chef in Slovenia, who was preparing him meals with exactly right number of calories. He obviously eat outside of the plan, a lot and wrong food.
BoardCrusher
Junior
And1: 319

Post#6 » by BoardCrusher » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:18 pm

some people need to relax a bit with the over reactions.
a 21 yo kid in a 2m body gained some 7-10kg, he will burn that till middle of january
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,843

Post#7 » by dirkules_41 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:30 pm

:clown: I'm glad all you couch jockeys are able to assess Lukas physical fitness from 15min of gameplay
Bob8
General Manager

Post#8 » by Bob8 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:34 pm

dirkules_41 wrote::clown: I'm glad all you couch jockeys are able to assess Lukas physical fitness from 15min of gameplay

Which fitness?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/kcn8n3/luka_giving_hope_to_all_the_people_with_the_dad/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by dirkules_41 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:44 pm

Bob8 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote::clown: I'm glad all you couch jockeys are able to assess Lukas physical fitness from 15min of gameplay

Which fitness?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/kcn8n3/luka_giving_hope_to_all_the_people_with_the_dad/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

He can look like Big Baby as far as i'm concerned if he plays the way he does. Coaching staff know what they're doing.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#10 » by JD45 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:49 pm

I thought he played sluggish. And less agile than the end of last season. Maybe it isn't due to extra weight, but that seems to be the most likely culprit.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Bob8
General Manager

Post#11 » by Bob8 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:57 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Which fitness?

He can look like Big Baby as far as i'm concerned if he plays the way he does. Coaching staff know what they're doing.

You believe 15 pounds of fat more has no influence on his performance? If it doesn’t, why 99% of NBA players are extremely fit?
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Post#12 » by dirkforpres » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:07 pm

This isn’t a good look at all. No doubt he will lose the weight quickly, but considering it’s already a shortened season, he really should’ve been in better shape coming in
FIRE JASON KIDD
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by BlueSan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:24 pm

That is the thing. He won't or it will affect his performance.

If you lose weight = you are in a caloric deficit
If you are in a caloric deficit = you are lacking the energy the body needs
If you are lacking the energy the body needs = your performance drops and you are more susceptible to injuries

Even if the kids plays great = that doesn't mean his performance couldn't be better or he would have more energy at the end of games
Even if he doesn't get injured it doesn't mean he isn't risking it more. More mass = bigger force, less energy = leads to wrong kinetics
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#14 » by Heezzi » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:06 pm

Extra weight will take a toll on his fragile ankles.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Post#15 » by dirkforpres » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:37 pm

BlueSan wrote:That is the thing. He won't or it will affect his performance.

If you lose weight = you are in a caloric deficit
If you are in a caloric deficit = you are lacking the energy the body needs
If you are lacking the energy the body needs = your performance drops and you are more susceptible to injuries

Even if the kids plays great = that doesn't mean his performance couldn't be better or he would have more energy at the end of games
Even if he doesn't get injured it doesn't mean he isn't risking it more. More mass = bigger force, less energy = leads to wrong kinetics

He doesn’t need to starve himself or even go on any extreme diets. The fact that he looks so dramatically different since we saw him 2 months ago tells you that he’s been likely just drinking and/or snacking too much. Just cut those out and do a little more cardio and the weight will melt off him
FIRE JASON KIDD
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by BlueSan » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:36 am

He doesn't, but if he goes in a normal caloric deficit such that will not affect his performance too much he will need a longer period before being in that shape.

And why would he even come like that at the preseason. That is what people worry about. His ethic, control, and taking care of your body, because your body is what is making it possible after all...
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by dirkules_41 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:38 am

I paid some attention to it last night, he looks completely normal to me. People really need to chill. He's never gonna look like Hardaway or Powell but he looks like normal Luka.

Here's Lukas post game comment on the matter, we can now move on and focus on having just beaten the Bucks twice.

Read on Twitter
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by BlueSan » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:09 am

Not really, when he tells us why that is the case and is he not abiding to the conditiong then we can move on.

This morning the entire Slovenian media is giving it attention. Twitter jokes and puns are all around. Most famous, his commercial with him eating Poli - Sandwich and comments like: "he cannot put it down..."

He may not be affected much by it -> but everyone is to some extent
And performance-wise 100% he is affected by it. Even if he scores you 30/10/10 he is saving some of that offensive/defensive energy that he would otherwise be having on a nightly basis if in better condition.
Now, how much of it percentage-wise is debatable. Is it 5%, 10%... depends on a person, your feeling on the night of a basketball game and just how much kg, body fat wise he is out of shape. But it looks like quite a bit (for an NBA player standard)
But as someone who played basketball a lot on a quite high level as well I can tell you with 100% certainty it is affecting you.
Not to mention his risk for injury increases.

So once again, only when someone answers why it is happening or it gets fixed we can drop the subject. Until that time it should be mentioned constantly... Answering stupid questions like what does Richardson bring to the team. Were you happy with his performance today and stuff like that give us ZERO absolutely ZERO information?
Answering why he is out of shape IS GIVING us information. Even if he says it is because he just feels like enjoying it.

Then we will stop talking about it in this way, but you can bet we will have other topics to discuss. These are important topics to discuss and as a former athlete, I think they are way more important topics than 90% of the stuff we are discussing here. Is it not nice to hear your main star has conditioning problems. Yes, it is not, but it can be fixed relatively easily if you actually talking about the problem instead of brushing it aside, just cause he is a superstar. And I hope his coaches are doing exactly that...
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#19 » by JD45 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:23 pm

Luka admits he is not in his best shape. That's the most important first step. Without that, the problem may never be solved. It's still a bad way for Luka to start the season, but at this stage it's what we need to hear.

I don't think there is any value in a long explanation of why he isn't in great shape or what his nutrition plan was. How we react to that level of detail and our opinions are completely irrelevant to Luka. The Mavs and Luka will have to handle that part.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#20 » by wolfram » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:36 pm

BlueSan wrote:Not really, when he tells us why that is the case and is he not abiding to the conditiong then we can move on.

This morning the entire Slovenian media is giving it attention. Twitter jokes and puns are all around. Most famous, his commercial with him eating Poli - Sandwich and comments like: "he cannot put it down..."

He may not be affected much by it -> but everyone is to some extent
And performance-wise 100% he is affected by it. Even if he scores you 30/10/10 he is saving some of that offensive/defensive energy that he would otherwise be having on a nightly basis if in better condition.
Now, how much of it percentage-wise is debatable. Is it 5%, 10%... depends on a person, your feeling on the night of a basketball game and just how much kg, body fat wise he is out of shape. But it looks like quite a bit (for an NBA player standard)
But as someone who played basketball a lot on a quite high level as well I can tell you with 100% certainty it is affecting you.
Not to mention his risk for injury increases.

So once again, only when someone answers why it is happening or it gets fixed we can drop the subject. Until that time it should be mentioned constantly... Answering stupid questions like what does Richardson bring to the team. Were you happy with his performance today and stuff like that give us ZERO absolutely ZERO information?
Answering why he is out of shape IS GIVING us information. Even if he says it is because he just feels like enjoying it.

Then we will stop talking about it in this way, but you can bet we will have other topics to discuss. These are important topics to discuss and as a former athlete, I think they are way more important topics than 90% of the stuff we are discussing here. Is it not nice to hear your main star has conditioning problems. Yes, it is not, but it can be fixed relatively easily if you actually talking about the problem instead of brushing it aside, just cause he is a superstar. And I hope his coaches are doing exactly that...

You and Bob are giving this way too much attention. It's borderline unhealthy.

Return to Dallas Mavericks