ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#81 » by Nyce_1 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:48 pm

damn, prayers for Keyontae Johnson. I really hope he pulls through.

latest update is he's in a medically induced coma.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#82 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:damn, prayers for Keyontae Johnson. I really hope he pulls through.

latest update is he's in a medically induced coma.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30527193/florida-keyontae-johnson-talking-even-faced-team
Looks like he's doing better. It also talks about Myocarditis which is treatable but dangerous.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#83 » by thelead » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:59 pm

Scary stuff. I wonder if they can link (or disprove) the myocarditis condition to COVID-19 exposure.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#84 » by RookieStar » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:19 pm

Good news for him that he can talk and respond already.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#85 » by Xatticus » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:25 pm

thelead wrote:Scary stuff. I wonder if they can link (or disprove) the myocarditis condition to COVID-19 exposure.

That won't be known for a while. I can guarantee someone is in the planning stages for this research, but it's going to take many years before we will have any concrete data to analyse. It will likely take at least a decade or so for any consensus to be reached about any sort of adverse effects, but it will take much longer before we really know what sort of damage was done.

The issue with myocarditis is that it is seldom diagnosed until something goes wrong, so it's difficult to attribute any anecdotal instance to a particular cause when you don't know if it was present and simply undiagnosed previously. You will need to track a cohort to see if the prevalence of diagnoses or heart attacks has increased in individuals that have been diagnosed with COVID versus those that haven't and that is going to take many years.

Consider how long it took for science to prove the dangers of things like asbestos, tobacco, thalidomide, agent orange, etc... There is going to be significant resistance from anyone with potential liabilities. This sort of stuff just moves very slowly.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#86 » by Gomagic44 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:37 pm

Thank you for a well explained answer! There is also a big push to limit business liability for covid. I wonder how that will play into subsequent diagnosis?

Sent from my HD1900 using RealGM mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#87 » by Knightro » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:24 am

Cade's worst shooting game of the year, but he still finished with 17/8/3/2 with only 1 TO.

He did a lot of poking and prodding of the defense. Ending up taking more midrangers than you want to see. Defenses really collapse on him quickly when he has the ball.

Will be interesting to see what adjustments he can make to that as the year goes on.
bigshawn
Junior
And1: 115

Post#88 » by bigshawn » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:01 am

I want Jalen Green. He attacks the hole the like a young Vince Carter.. He is what we need to replace Fournier. Green, Fultz, and Cole would be exciting.
thelead
RealGM

Post#89 » by thelead » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:12 am

bigshawn wrote:I want Jalen Green. He attacks the hole the a young Vince Carter.. He is what we need to replace Fournier. Green, Fultz, and Cole woukd be exciting

Watched a video a Green (which I really like) but Jonathan Kuminga cought my eye too. Both are super aggressive and have above average NBA athleticism.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#90 » by RookieStar » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:59 am

thelead wrote:
bigshawn wrote:I want Jalen Green. He attacks the hole the a young Vince Carter.. He is what we need to replace Fournier. Green, Fultz, and Cole woukd be exciting

Watched a video a Green (which I really like) but Jonathan Kuminga cought my eye too. Both are super aggressive and have above average NBA athleticism.

Kuminga doesnt pass the eye test for a wing no?meaning no 3pt shot or threat from the perimeter?
thelead
RealGM

Post#91 » by thelead » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:04 am

RookieStar wrote:
thelead wrote:

Kuminga doesnt pass the eye test for a wing no?meaning no 3pt shot or threat from the perimeter?

For sure. I’d take Green 10 times out of 10 based on the few videos I saw tonight. I was just pointing out that someone else looked impressive in the same videos. Funny, he’s also listed as a top 5 prospect on nbadraft.net
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#92 » by RookieStar » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:07 am

Yeah just our luck in the tank wars and we lose from Cade Suggs Green butbhave to settle for kuminga, mobley j.smith
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#93 » by Knightro » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:36 pm

RookieStar wrote:Yeah just our luck in the tank wars and we lose from Cade Suggs Green butbhave to settle for kuminga, mobley j.smith

The Magic don't have room for another center unless they move Vucevic, but Mobley has been really good so far.

If that kid's shooting is for real :o
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#94 » by RookieStar » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:00 pm

Knightro wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Yeah just our luck in the tank wars and we lose from Cade Suggs Green butbhave to settle for kuminga, mobley j.smith

The Magic don't have room for another center unless they move Vucevic, but Mobley has been really good so far.

If that kid's shooting is for real :o

Well.. good news is Kuminga Mobley J.Smith ( what happened to him? ) Aren't C but PF trying to disguise themselves as SF
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#95 » by jonbob17 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:44 am

Knightro wrote:

Cade's worst shooting game of the year, but he still finished with 17/8/3/2 with only 1 TO.

He did a lot of poking and prodding of the defense. Ending up taking more midrangers than you want to see. Defenses really collapse on him quickly when he has the ball.

Will be interesting to see what adjustments he can make to that as the year goes on.

The problem is the rest of team are horrible shooters. The defenses collapse down on him and they can't make it when he kick it out.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#96 » by Skin » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:56 am

Lol @ talking about top 5 consensus players.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#97 » by Knightro » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:25 am

Skin wrote:Lol @ talking about top 5 consensus players.

Not sure why this is such a funny thing.

I think there's only 3 teams in the entire league that are no questions asked worse than the Magic and that's Detroit, New York and Cleveland.

Orlando, at least in my opinion, have a pretty wide variance. They could finish as the 8 seed again and be picking 15th overall, but it feels like they could just as easily slide all the way back to 12th in the East. If they do end up 12th in the East they will almost assuredly end up in the bottom 5.

The non-playoff teams in the West appear to be much stronger than the non-playoff teams of the East.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#98 » by Xatticus » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:22 am

Knightro wrote:
Skin wrote:Lol @ talking about top 5 consensus players.

Not sure why this is such a funny thing.

I think there's only 3 teams in the entire league that are no questions asked worse than the Magic and that's Detroit, New York and Cleveland.

Orlando, at least in my opinion, have a pretty wide variance. They could finish as the 8 seed again and be picking 15th overall, but it feels like they could just as easily slide all the way back to 12th in the East. If they do end up 12th in the East they will almost assuredly end up in the bottom 5.

The non-playoff teams in the West appear to be much stronger than the non-playoff teams of the East.

The clock starts ticking right away though. Some teams are going to figure out that they aren't going to make the playoffs this year. You can expect those teams to switch the tank on and, as we have seen several times, that can make all the difference in the end.

I don't believe we will ever sell our veterans. Weltman hasn't done it previously and he blatantly stated that he will never view trading someone away as an opportunity. I don't believe we will give up on the season until we are mathematically eliminated and, given the new play-in format, that won't happen until very late in the season if at all. You can just expect us to finish a few spots higher in the standings than we rightfully should for these reasons alone. This approach got us into the playoffs two seasons ago when we probably should've given up on the season instead, so I don't know why we'd expect this front office to do anything differently this year. I feel like that late-season surge set us back at least a few years.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#99 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:35 pm

Suggs is explosive. There is nobody at the college level he can't beat off the dribble. His court vision is off the charts too. Such a feel for the game. He's the most complete player on the offensive end that Ive seen so far && my favorite target for this team.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#100 » by Knightro » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:54 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:Suggs is explosive. There is nobody at the college level he can't beat off the dribble. His court vision is off the charts too. Such a feel for the game. He's the most complete player on the offensive end that Ive seen so far && my favorite target for this team.

He's been outrageously good today. I'm very interested.

Read on Twitter

Return to Orlando Magic