Around the NBA Discussion (20/21)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Re: Around the NBA Discussion (20/21) 

Post#41 » by JJP » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:02 pm

Giannis watch is now "off".

Mavs will be free to use cap space in several different ways - probably with trades more than just free agency from this point forward.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#42 » by arkuo » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:04 pm

JJP wrote:Giannis watch is now "off".

Mavs will be free to use cap space in several different ways - probably with trades more than just free agency from this point forward.

I'd look at John Collins or Jonathan Isaac first. Those two would fit very well with KP at C.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#43 » by HMFFL » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:05 pm

Nelson and Cuban can now focus on another direction just like many other front offices.

Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#44 » by arkuo » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:13 pm

HMFFL wrote:Nelson and Cuban can now focus on another direction just like many other front offices.

Read on Twitter

Giannis signs the supermax with Milwaukee less than 24 hours after Dallas beats them twice in the preseason. Coincidence? :lol:

Luka should have taken it easy on them. Pull some punches and don't beat them all the way. Give Giannis some rope to make him feel good. And whoever game him the elbow to the face on the first game. (Green font)
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,813

Post#45 » by dirkforpres » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:56 pm

HMFFL wrote:Nelson and Cuban can now focus on another direction just like many other front offices.

Read on Twitter

If they insist on keeping the 2021 cap space, Jonathan Isaac should be the primary target. If they don’t want to go the free agency route, we can easily eat a large contract to take on picks or a solid rotation player like the Mavs did all of the 2000s.

Sucks we don’t get Giannis though. Him and Luka would have been an unstoppable duo
FIRE JASON KIDD
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#46 » by JD45 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:11 pm

Giannis would have been great. There are still some options for 2021 Cap room, just not spectacular.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,979

Post#47 » by Apz » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:21 pm

Depends if kawhi counts as spectacular...

Do we have bird rights to thj and jrich? That is something that will decide what we can do from here cause i want to keep them both
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,387

Post#48 » by gottamakeit » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:34 pm

Apz wrote:Depends if kawhi counts as spectacular...

Do we have bird rights to thj and jrich? That is something that will decide what we can do from here cause i want to keep them both

Why not trade THJ and James Johnson before the deadline. We need a consolidation trade anyways, and those guys have expiring contracts.
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#49 » by ejs78 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:42 pm

I love Issac despite the injury concerns only issue is he'll be RFA.

We don't really need to chase stars if you ask me. Having 45 million is going to help upgrade the role players alot.

You probably could go for Issac, re-sign Richardson and have just enough to get a THjr replacement or find a way to clear some cap space him or someone else.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#50 » by BlueSan » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:50 pm

Would be stupid to go for him in this free agency for big money.

Dont forget THJ will leave after this season and if he is any good, you try to keep him, but the thing is any decent players will have so inflated sallaries that you head will hurt cause there really isnt any good one.

The best I potentially see is Oubre or Oladipo if he bounces back. But having Gobert in Dallas would be nightmarish, they guy's character, I just dont like it.

So in general next year free agency is going to be boring
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#51 » by ejs78 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:03 pm

BlueSan wrote:Would be stupid to go for him in this free agency for big money.

Dont forget THJ will leave after this season and if he is any good, you try to keep him, but the thing is any decent players will have so inflated sallaries that you head will hurt cause there really isnt any good one.

The best I potentially see is Oubre or Oladipo if he bounces back. But having Gobert in Dallas would be nightmarish, they guy's character, I just dont like it.

Who would be stupid to go for?

Also what has Gobert done to show he has character issues?

aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#52 » by aggerrard » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:18 pm

If Otto Porter can stay healthy, i'd make him a big target after this season.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#53 » by JD45 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Oladipo, Otto Porter, Gobert will all be UFAs. I strongly doubt Kwahi leaves the Clippers.

After that, its overpaying for RFAs. This will be tricky to get someone that would be an upgrade to THJ.

I think the Mavs got Richardson and Josh Green as THJ replacements, so I think they want to find an upgrade if possible.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#54 » by BlueSan » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:09 pm

ejs78 wrote:
BlueSan wrote:Would be stupid to go for him in this free agency for big money.

Who would be stupid to go for?

Also what has Gobert done to show he has character issues?

Isaac for big money.

Do not forget that after that free agency signings Dallas is trying to max Luka, actually supermax Luka and if you want to bet your entire future on two injury-prone players, one not even proven yet in Isaac, that is way too risky. Even Oladipo carries that burden around.

All and all it is a really really tough situation for the Mavs on what to do. Trades are probably the way to keep improving the team at this point and then investing the cap to round it up before next season.
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#55 » by wolfram » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:15 pm

Giannis saw fat Luka and said "hell naw". Or he didn't like being poked in the eye :D
Pofukauskas
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#56 » by Pofukauskas » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:23 pm

Plan B should be:
1. Trade Porzingis for Beal
2. Try to trade for Gobert during the season otherwise sign him in the offseason
3. Resign Richardson

Build around Luka, Beal, Gobert, Richardson, Maxi, Dodo. Everyone else can go if needed.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,856

Post#57 » by dirkules_41 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:51 pm

wolfram wrote:Giannis saw fat Luka and said "hell naw". Or he didn't like being poked in the eye :D

Cubes probably told him that we can't afford to have another superstar who can't hit FTs so he decided to stay :D
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,979

Post#58 » by Apz » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:43 am

Would probably use some of the cap to get rid of powells deal, other then that, lets wait and see how it looks this season. Rest of the team I feel Im fine with keeping. Hope we dont pay oladipo, gobert or otto. Reluctant to pay Isaac too with that injury history. If we get rid off both powell and boban, I guess I could be talked into taking a chance on markannen
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,387

Post#59 » by gottamakeit » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:03 am

Pofukauskas wrote:Plan B should be:
1. Trade Porzingis for Beal
2. Try to trade for Gobert during the season otherwise sign him in the offseason
3. Resign Richardson

Build around Luka, Beal, Gobert, Richardson, Maxi, Dodo. Everyone else can go if needed.

No, that trade would make us worse.
K.P. is the perfect modern-day big man.
Beal and Luka wouldn't have as much synergy as Luka & K.P.
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
Pofukauskas
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#60 » by Pofukauskas » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:33 am

That trade would MAYBE make Dallas worse in a vacuum due to temporary glut of guards/wing players. But if you could trade for or sign Gobert after that trade the team would be much better than now.

Luka
Richardson
Beal
Dodo/Maxi
Gobert

That team could play against everyone. It has offense and defense, shooting and lob threats. It would also probably be more consistent in terms of health and not dependent on Porzingis knees.

There are no elite wings available next offseason so you would have to trade for one. Thus Porzingis for Beal. On the other hand center - Gobert will be on the market. I think that would be an ideal Luka team considering Mavs reality in signing superstars..

Return to Dallas Mavericks