2020-21 Oklahoma City Thunder Preseason Game Thread | December 12 - December 18

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Re: 2020-21 Oklahoma City Thunder Preseason Game Thread | December 12 - December 18 

Post#101 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:40 am

Old Man Game wrote:I only got to see the 4th quarter so no Shai, no Horford, no one but Poku, Theo and Frank really. That said, if that unit or any similar version of it sees much time I really like our chances of getting that top 3 pick. I was having big time inaugural season flashbacks watching that crew.

Shai has looked really good so far but I think it’s going to be so tough for him to be efficient with this roster.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Re: 2020-21 Oklahoma City Thunder Preseason Game Thread | December 12 - December 18 

Post#102 » by Old Man Game » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:43 am

ThunderBolt wrote:I see some good things from Theo. He shows some potential to run the offense. There isn’t much else to say positive about the other new guys. Also, Dort is still horrible on offense and struggles more than most admit on defense. I just don’t see it with him.

I like Dort but the fact that there wasn't much of anything in the way of a scouting report on him probably did him a lot of favors last year. Notably by the time the playoffs rolled around he looked especially bad offensively until he just got hot in that game 7. He's not an unknown anymore and he'll have to either adapt or it could be a long year.
Pokumon
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#103 » by Pokumon » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:16 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:I am pretty surprised how hard some OKC fans here have been on Theo and Poku.

Poku in particular. He is totally lost on defense, way too skinny and clearly was winded at times. That being said, a player his height moving the way he can on offense is tremendously rare. He is already a plus passer while at the same time being totally lost, which is actually a pretty speical thing. To me it makes me think, how good can he be passing once the game slows down for him? He needs to tweak his jumper but the form is there. IDK, I have been high on him for some time and when I watch him I see movement skills and coordination, as well as handle and vision, that is just tremendously rare for someone his size and age. If he has the work ethic and manages to put on LBS, he can be a 21st century version of Van Horn. Thats insane value for pick 17. And I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up much better.

Thank you!

Poku is the youngest player in the NBA and coming from a lower level league, give him time! You can see the potential in his movement, handle, passing and shot. Overall he looks bad still, but as expected!

Okc is rebuilding so fans shouldn't expect too much of their team, isn't that known?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#104 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:10 pm

Pokumon wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:I am pretty surprised how hard some OKC fans here have been on Theo and Poku.

Poku in particular. He is totally lost on defense, way too skinny and clearly was winded at times. That being said, a player his height moving the way he can on offense is tremendously rare. He is already a plus passer while at the same time being totally lost, which is actually a pretty speical thing. To me it makes me think, how good can he be passing once the game slows down for him? He needs to tweak his jumper but the form is there. IDK, I have been high on him for some time and when I watch him I see movement skills and coordination, as well as handle and vision, that is just tremendously rare for someone his size and age. If he has the work ethic and manages to put on LBS, he can be a 21st century version of Van Horn. Thats insane value for pick 17. And I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up much better.

Thank you!

Poku is the youngest player in the NBA and coming from a lower level league, give him time! You can see the potential in his movement, handle, passing and shot. Overall he looks bad still, but as expected!

Okc is rebuilding so fans shouldn't expect too much of their team, isn't that known?

What else are we supposed to say on a game by game basis? Most of us know he’s probably a year away from being a year away. The only thing I’m disappointed in is his shot. I don’t think it looks very good. It seems similar to Terrance Ferguson as someone labeled as a shooter that can’t actually shoot. He barely drew iron on his free throw. He doesn’t consistently follow through. I’m still ok with the pick, all things considered.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#105 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:44 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I see some good things from Theo. He shows some potential to run the offense. There isn’t much else to say positive about the other new guys. Also, Dort is still horrible on offense and struggles more than most admit on defense. I just don’t see it with him.

I like Dort but the fact that there wasn't much of anything in the way of a scouting report on him probably did him a lot of favors last year. Notably by the time the playoffs rolled around he looked especially bad offensively until he just got hot in that game 7. He's not an unknown anymore and he'll have to either adapt or it could be a long year.

He probably isn’t worse than Diallo but I found it concerning how much Sam praised him in preseason. Hopefully he improves but I wouldn’t hesitate to move him for something of value.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#106 » by bbms » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:48 pm

Old Man Game wrote:I only got to see the 4th quarter so no Shai, no Horford, no one but Poku, Theo and Frank really. That said, if that unit or any similar version of it sees much time I really like our chances of getting that top 3 pick. I was having big time inaugural season flashbacks watching that crew.

Horford was good, though. I mean, really good.

Maledon looks like a NBA player right now. Poku is brilliant (my goodness his off angle passes are insanely effortless) but is an year away.

Jackson and Roby's +/- were -24 and -22 respectively. Checks with the eye test. Reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaally bad. Sucks for Roby, though, I think we would enjoy having production out of a player with his physical profile and shooting ability.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#107 » by getrichordie » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:59 pm

Anyone else get super nervous when watching Pokusevski drive to the rim against contact and falling?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#108 » by getrichordie » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:02 pm

bbms wrote:

Maledon looks like a NBA player right now. Poku is brilliant (my goodness his off angle passes are insanely effortless) but is an year away.

Jackson and Roby's +/- were -24 and -22 respectively. Checks with the eye test. Reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaally bad. Sucks for Roby, though, I think we would enjoy having production out of a player with his physical profile and shooting ability.

I wouldn't really put too much stock in to Roby's numbers. He's just getting back into the game. He needs time. I think we keep him on the roster.

Thoughts on Kenrich Williams, guys? Love his mullet and he's huge.

Only got to watch the 4th quarter, but Moses Brown surprised me. Looks like he is at a good weight and runs the floor really well and made some jaw-dropping passes and even hit a three. Had a nice drive where he showed decent footwork utilizing a spin move to draw the foul. I think there's something there.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#109 » by bbms » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:06 pm

getrichordie wrote:Anyone else get super nervous when watching Pokusevski drive to the rim against contact and falling?

Yes. I can't take it :lol: :lol: :lol:
He is super talented, though. It's plain to see. Reminds me of Anthony Randolph with a pretty jump shot form.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:18 pm

Right now Roby leads the team with 8 turnovers.

I really don’t mind seeing what we have with all of these guys even though most of them will bust. I really hope they tell Diallo to tone it down. He’s just ridiculous.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#111 » by retrobro90 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:09 pm

getrichordie wrote:
bbms wrote:

I wouldn't really put too much stock in to Roby's numbers. He's just getting back into the game. He needs time. I think we keep him on the roster.

Thoughts on Kenrich Williams, guys? Love his mullet and he's huge.

Only got to watch the 4th quarter, but Moses Brown surprised me. Looks like he is at a good weight and runs the floor really well and made some jaw-dropping passes and even hit a three. Had a nice drive where he showed decent footwork utilizing a spin move to draw the foul. I think there's something there.

Been a big fan of Kenrich since he came to the league. There's a contingency of folks who think he should be one of the final cuts but I really like his IQ and unselfishness. Think guys like him are important for the young fellas to develop good habits. He's not someone with legitimate long term upside I just like his game and think he fits the new culture they're trying to build.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#112 » by retrobro90 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:17 pm

Hardly any chatter about Frank Jackson who's been pretty damn good in the first two preseason games. Certainly got some tendencies to force it instead of passing to open teammates but the guy can score and is still just 22 years old. Would be shocked if he didn't get fully guaranteed.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#113 » by Old Man Game » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:44 pm

retrobro90 wrote:Hardly any chatter about Frank Jackson who's been pretty damn good in the first two preseason games. Certainly got some tendencies to force it instead of passing to open teammates but the guy can score and is still just 22 years old. Would be shocked if he didn't get fully guaranteed.

This will be considered sacrilege to some, but I was going to say he's sort of a poor man's Jamal Crawford.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#114 » by spearsy23 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:51 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:Hardly any chatter about Frank Jackson who's been pretty damn good in the first two preseason games. Certainly got some tendencies to force it instead of passing to open teammates but the guy can score and is still just 22 years old. Would be shocked if he didn't get fully guaranteed.

This will be considered sacrilege to some, but I was going to say he's sort of a poor man's Jamal Crawford.

Poor man's Crawford is what, like young Brandon Jennings? I don't think you can be worse than Crawford, play that style, and positively impact winning.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#115 » by retrobro90 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:15 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

Poor man's Crawford is what, like young Brandon Jennings? I don't think you can be worse than Crawford, play that style, and positively impact winning.

I'm not the best at comps but Crawford had a lot more skill as an isolation player. Jackson is a superior run and jump athlete and I don't think he's bottom of the league level bad on defense the way Crawford was for much of his career but Jamal's arsenal as a scorer/dribbler is about as close to all star level as you can get for someone who never made an all star game. If Frank turns out to be a 3x 6MOTY then that's a huge win obviously but I understand what you mean in regards to winning impact with a style that doesn't necessarily make teammates better (though again Crawford was a beloved teammate and not someone I'd call an unwilling passer)

I wouldn't put Frank in a box just yet. I just think as of today he can be someone who's going to reliably and successfully attack closeouts and space the floor from a combo guard position. Think his foundation and polish as a scorer is enough for me to want him on the team over others in a similar age group.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#116 » by Old Man Game » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:28 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

I almost said short Michael Beasley.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:34 am

Shai has been really good at penetrating and kicking out to the open shooter. He needs to pull up and shoot a jumper when they pack the paint. His defense is solid.

Horfords trade value skyrocketing,

Poku’s release is really fast. He’s played his best half of basketball.

I like Frank Jackson.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,142

Post#119 » by Mickey8 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:56 am

He's still looks lost on the court a lot , also his dribble is very high and its easy for the opposing guards to pick the ball out of his hands. But much better showing than in the past two games.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#120 » by jake_swivel » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:57 am

Heh, oh my god, horford responding to that baze dunk.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder