Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Re: Sixers Lineups Thread 

Post#181 » by the_process » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:38 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
the_process wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:Whichever way you want to break it down, the line-ups listed above are not getting us anywhere this season. So either Morey makes moves before the deadline or it will be another sorry post-season in Philly imo. A PG who can't shoot and a SG who can shoot but can't defend!!!...hmmm where have I seen that before? Smh. As for the SF spot? Green ain't the one at all...we need better. Everyone blamed Brand for the teams woes last season..so we're gonna see if those same folks will keep that same energy for Morey next season if things go wrong..let's see :D .

Yeah, it’s far different than last year. They have clearly signaled its a step back to take 2 forward. But continue on with your transparent attempt of a defense of Elton.

You already making excuses? :lol: :lol: Like I said above, Morey has an opportunity to improve the roster further before the deadline. It's HIS team now, and he should be judged on RESULTS just like Elton was...PERIOD.

When the starting point is Morey comes in to dump (Elton's) bad salary... it's far different from last year when it was "Finals or bust". But I wouldn't expect you and your agenda to understand.
6ers83
Senior
And1: 195

Post#182 » by 6ers83 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:36 am

Seth looks a bench player to me
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#183 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:24 am

True. After watching the new squad, here are my thoughts...

Embiid/Howard
Harris/Scott
Simmons/Korkmaz
Green/Curry
Milton/Maxey

Thybulle, Bradley, Ferguson are all on the outs in my opinion.

Need guys who can either shoot the ball consistently or dribble/drive.

Scott needs to be upgraded. He's just not good.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,045

Post#184 » by Sixerscan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:36 am

Thybulle is gonna play. Green does not really play starter minutes and they need someone to give them wing defense for stretches.

If Maxey is playable I don't know what they're gonna do with all the guards. Good problem to have for once.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#185 » by sixers hoops » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:41 am

I used to believe in starting the best five, but these days a lot of coaches need a dependable scorer off the bench. Shake may be a deserving starter with a strong camp, but Doc may need his skillset in that second unit, considering he is our backup point and possibly best scorer off the bench. Maybe be better served starting Thybulle. With Ben, Joel, and Tobias, you mainly just need a guy to defend and hit some open corner threes. I’d be okay given Thybulle first crack at it.

Ben
Green
Thybulle
Tobias
Embiid
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#186 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:59 am

sixers hoops wrote:I used to believe in starting the best five, but these days a lot of coaches need a dependable scorer off the bench. Shake may be a deserving starter with a strong camp, but Doc may need his skillset in that second unit, considering he is our backup point and possibly best scorer off the bench. Maybe be better served starting Thybulle. With Ben, Joel, and Tobias, you mainly just need a guy to defend and hit some open corner threes. I’d be okay given Thybulle first crack at it.

Ben
Green
Thybulle
Tobias
Embiid

I'd stick with the plan of playing Curry with Embiid as much as possible. And Thybulle brings great energy off the bench.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#187 » by sixers hoops » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:01 am

sixerswillrule wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:I used to believe in starting the best five, but these days a lot of coaches need a dependable scorer off the bench. Shake may be a deserving starter with a strong camp, but Doc may need his skillset in that second unit, considering he is our backup point and possibly best scorer off the bench. Maybe be better served starting Thybulle. With Ben, Joel, and Tobias, you mainly just need a guy to defend and hit some open corner threes. I’d be okay given Thybulle first crack at it.

Ben
Green
Thybulle
Tobias
Embiid

I'd stick with the plan of playing Curry with Embiid as much as possible. And Thybulle brings great energy off the bench.

Yeah. Seems to be the direction they’re going
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#188 » by LloydFree » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:52 pm

kriss73 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
kriss73 wrote:The bench is way too unexperienced and we lack a wing with points in his hands besides Tobias.

Green,Kork and Matisse are 3&d players at their best.
On paper, I love our guards rotation and the subs for Joel/Tobias too.

I'd try to package Fergs/Poirier/2nd pick for a vet wing able to create for himself to strengthen the bench

I don't think they'll try to address any needs until they play together for awhile.

I think they either:
1. Cut Justin Anderson
2. Trade Furkan for a late 2nd
3. Trade Ferguson along with a 2nd rounder to save tax.

The logical move is to cut Anderson.
Taxes ain't no problem until trade deadline, so they could and shoud wait.
They need shooting, so trading Furk would be a strange move.

Maybe a player by player to balance the end past of the roster, something on the line of Poirier for a wing.
Poirier wants to play and this isn't the best situation for him.

Another option would be to cut Mathias, and sign him to an Exibit 10 contract. Then cut Justin Anderson and sign him to the remaining 2-way spot.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,045

Post#189 » by Sixerscan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:56 pm

LloydFree wrote:
kriss73 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I don't think they'll try to address any needs until they play together for awhile.

I think they either:
1. Cut Justin Anderson
2. Trade Furkan for a late 2nd
3. Trade Ferguson along with a 2nd rounder to save tax.

Maybe a player by player to balance the end past of the roster, something on the line of Poirier for a wing.

Another option would be to cut Mathias, and sign him to an Exibit 10 contract. Then cut Justin Anderson and sign him to the remaining 2-way spot.

Historically 2 way guys have to have 3 years or less nba experience, so Anderson couldn’t sign to one. Not sure that changed this year.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#190 » by SparksFly87 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:06 pm

Tobias sucks and clogs the offense trade him for a high level starting caliber wing. Start shake.. seth and maxey provide scoring punch off the bench.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#191 » by Skates » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:12 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
kriss73 wrote:

Historically 2 way guys have to have 3 years or less nba experience, so Anderson couldn’t sign to one. Not sure that changed this year.

There was a temporary allowance for that in the Bubble, I did not see that exception continued this year, it was Bubble specific.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#192 » by LloydFree » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Skates wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Another option would be to cut Mathias, and sign him to an Exibit 10 contract. Then cut Justin Anderson and sign him to the remaining 2-way spot.

There was a temporary allowance for that in the Bubble, I did not see that exception continued this year, it was Bubble specific.

You are probably right. They changed the rule last for the bubble last year, but I don't see anyone that signed a 2-way this year, with more than 2 years service.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#193 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:14 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Thybulle is gonna play. Green does not really play starter minutes and they need someone to give them wing defense for stretches.

If Maxey is playable I don't know what they're gonna do with all the guards. Good problem to have for once.

Play them all.

Embiid/Howard
Harris/Simmons
Simmons/Thybulle
Green/Milton
Curry/Maxey

Positions on defense, roughly.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,588

Post#194 » by Iverson Armband » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:29 pm

Reading between the lines of Doc speaking today, it seems like Shake may start.
always a jump shot away.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#195 » by Sixersftw » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:44 pm

Iverson Armband wrote:Reading between the lines of Doc speaking today, it seems like Shake may start.

That would mean big minutes for Maxey. I don't trust Curry to initiate offense whatsoever.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,588

Post#196 » by Iverson Armband » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:50 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:Reading between the lines of Doc speaking today, it seems like Shake may start.

That would mean big minutes for Maxey. I don't trust Curry to initiate offense whatsoever.

Even better IMO!
always a jump shot away.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,157

Post#197 » by M2J » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:18 am

My primary reason for needing to start Shake after watching the first game, is how much better the primary lineups would be with an extra ball handler that can actually shoot.

Ball handling and defense should probably be Milton's primary focus of improvement, but the starting lineup most of you want only has one guy that can handle the ball worth a damn, and he's probably better in the post or as a screener in the half court.

Tobias should be a very decisive player. 2 or 3 dribbles max before a shot or pass. I would say the same for Curry... and Green just shouldn't at all.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#198 » by LloydFree » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:15 am

76ers sign former Joel Embiid college teammate, G Frank Mason to Exibit 10 contract. Former G-league MVP. 76ers trying to win that G-league title.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#199 » by 51X3RF4N » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:17 am

Ok so 7 games into the season and here are my thoughts..

Obviously love the consistency Tobias has been playing with these past few games. I also don't think he is tradeable due to his contract so I'm going to assume he is here for the duration.

Maxey and Milton look clearly good enough to be key pieces from a depth perspective.

If Danny Green can show up when it counts, he can continue to be a valuable starter. Curry too.

But, I still think it might be Milton closing games out.

Dwight has been amazing.

Looks like Scott, Korkmaz and Thybulle are essentially battling it out for the 9th and 10th man spots.

So what's in theory lacking?

Assuming a 9 man playoff rotation, I think an upgrade is in order. Thybulle might eventually be a Danny Green type, but he might also be the best trade piece to get the needed upgrade.

I would target a 3/4 who can defend either position fairly well, and can hit catch and shoot 3s. I would also look for a 3rd PG who can run the offense in the event of injuries.

Embiid/Howard/Poirier
Harris/?/Reed
Simmons/?/?
Green/Milton/Joe
Curry/Maxey/?

This is kind of how I see things.

You use Scott, Ferguson, Bradley, Thybulle and Korkmaz to try and plug some of the ?'s. Maybe the backup 3/4 is the same player with versatility, and then your 10th man is a vet who doesn't need much playing time but can contribute to winning basketball.

The goal being to utilize these larger expiring deals, along with picks, to build a sustainable future roster.

Losing Green, Howard and Poirier would hurt, but knowing there are 4 other guys locked into more than 1 year contracts would help the depth for next season.

Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#200 » by 51X3RF4N » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:16 pm

Ok, so many more games into the season...here are my new thoughts.

Ben is clearly not going to be a consistent 20ppg scoring option. He's a facilitator, straight from the coach's mouth. So if that's the case, and best you can expect from Ben is the occasional aggressive game where he scores more than 16 points, you HAVE to find another creator. Someone who can get their own shot.

Hill is going to help the bench unit, and free up Shake to do SG things rather than PG things where I just don't see him excelling. Maxey for some reason is unplayable in Doc's eyes. I don't get it, but if he's not good enough yet then that's why Hill was acquired. Maybe Maxey learns and works hard and takes a 2nd year leap, but you can't rely on the happening.

Thybulle has impressed and it looks like depending on matchup and whether offense is needed more than defense, Doc will go with either Matisse or Furk. I don't see Furk coming back after this season when he knows he's battling for the 9th spot at best, and still isn't always winning.

As for the future of the lineups...

Embiid/?
Harris/Reed
Simmons/Thybulle
Curry/Milton/Joe
?/Maxey

That's not a bad 9 person roster to start the off-season with. But it's clearly missing a legit PG creator (Lowry, Ball) who can hit 3s, spread the floor, play defense a bit and take over to get a perimeter bucket when Ben decides he wants to facilitate more than score.

I'm thinking like, we have a 7'0 unstoppable offensive player, and one of the better catch and shoot guys in the game, along with a stretch 4 who can get his own buckets with a modicum of consistency. And then we have a 6'11 Draymond type.

So what's missing is that guy who can just pull up from the logo with confidence and bang home a 3.

Unfortunately we are handicapped with salary issues so we can't sign a superstar. We can't trade for a superstar. We can't just draft a superstar at the 27th pick. Maxey is unlikely to develop into one over a single off-season. Milton is peaking in my opinion. He's a scoring guard. What you see is what you get. Not a great pull up threat from 3, more of a catch and shoot guy who can get into the paint and create a bit.

I do think Maxey/Milton/Thybulle/Reed off the bench is a nice foundation for the future. I like Isaiah Joe too, but unclear on the fit if he's battling Shake for playing time. Maybe he waits in the wings and works on his game enough that he can eventually take over for Seth in the starting lineup? Maybe Reed continues to add strength and develops his game enough that Doc sees him as interchangeable between the 4/5 role off the bench, but it sure would be nice to add a Vet 4/5 guy too for more consistency in a playoff setting for next season.

Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers