ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors select SG Justinian Jessup with the 51st pick

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 331

Re: Warriors select SG Justinian Jessup with the 51st pick 

Post#41 » by Mac1958 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:26 pm

watch1958 wrote:The entire game was on YouTube. His d was solid, not spectacular. He wasn’t regularly guarding the best guy, but they never had to hide him . No complaints.

The way he can shoot, I'd settle for solid.
Free Ballin
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#42 » by Free Ballin » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:40 pm

Multiple good/elite shooters puts so much pressure on the defense. As long as each shooter can hold his water defensively, it can create a real advantage. I’m really liking how this lineup could look like with Klay retuning in 2021
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#43 » by mos_def » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:43 am

Has it been stated that Jessup is just a one year stash? How long was his contract with Australia?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#44 » by Mylie10 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:18 am

mos_def wrote:Has it been stated that Jessup is just a one year stash? How long was his contract with Australia?

One season. And depending on when their season ends they could possibly bring him in. Would need roster and cap space.

Probably wouldn’t be to hard.

But I think their plan is to bring him in next season. But the need for shooting could push things forward faster.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,769

Post#45 » by michaelm » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:06 pm

Free Ballin wrote:Multiple good/elite shooters puts so much pressure on the defense. As long as each shooter can hold his water defensively, it can create a real advantage. I’m really liking how this lineup could look like with Klay retuning in 2021

I am extremely hopeful for next year, and the whole previous thing did start from great defense.

I am also hoping GSW fans will refrain from eating their own young this year, a habit the fans of several other franchises seem to have developed.
Free Ballin
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#46 » by Free Ballin » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:51 pm

michaelm wrote:
Free Ballin wrote:Multiple good/elite shooters puts so much pressure on the defense. As long as each shooter can hold his water defensively, it can create a real advantage. I’m really liking how this lineup could look like with Klay retuning in 2021

I am extremely hopeful for next year, and the whole previous thing did start from great defense.

I am also hoping GSW fans will refrain from eating their own young this year, a habit the fans of several other franchises seem to have developed.

I agree. There will be rushing to Judgement for Wiseman both ways based on his initial playing time. It always has been that way. Shoot even Nico is starting to develop a following.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 95

Post#47 » by Chupchup » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:19 am

Samurai wrote:
azwfan wrote:With Jessup coming over next year and the emergence of Smiley, Minny's 1st may not even make the team.

Is Smiley actually emerging or just getting older? Not saying he isn't actually emerging, but I'm not convinced that he is. I don't think his contract becomes guaranteed until July so he could very well be gone after this season.

Doubt it.. Wasn't he Lacob's son's pick? They traded a number 2nd's too for him. I think the son has invested too much in Smiley to drop him after 2 years.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#48 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:41 pm

Chupchup wrote:
Samurai wrote:
azwfan wrote:With Jessup coming over next year and the emergence of Smiley, Minny's 1st may not even make the team.

Is Smiley actually emerging or just getting older? Not saying he isn't actually emerging, but I'm not convinced that he is. I don't think his contract becomes guaranteed until July so he could very well be gone after this season.

Doubt it.. Wasn't he Lacob's son's pick? They traded a number 2nd's too for him. I think the son has invested too much in Smiley to drop him after 2 years.

The Warriors traded 2 2nds for 1 2nd, and they don't have roster space for that many players, so Smiley cost them essentially nothing special.

Supposedly Smiley has been the best shooting big on the team, but is supposedly still struggling with schemes. He's a few months older than Wiseman and with the g-league not running yet he'll probably get limited run in blowouts to see if he can contribute.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 95

Post#49 » by Chupchup » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:09 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Chupchup wrote:
Samurai wrote:Is Smiley actually emerging or just getting older? Not saying he isn't actually emerging, but I'm not convinced that he is. I don't think his contract becomes guaranteed until July so he could very well be gone after this season.

The Warriors traded 2 2nds for 1 2nd, and they don't have roster space for that many players, so Smiley cost them essentially nothing special.

Supposedly Smiley has been the best shooting big on the team, but is supposedly still struggling with schemes. He's a few months older than Wiseman and with the g-league not running yet he'll probably get limited run in blowouts to see if he can contribute.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/rockets/amp/Warriors-get-their-mystery-man-in-NBA-draft-14029572.php

Apparently it was Kent Jacob who scouted him at 16 in Serbia. Pulled him over to Santa Cruz a year before the draft to play there. They then traded 2 2nds and a mill to get him. Gave him a 4 year non guaran contract.

Yeah with him as Kent Lacob's pick. Don't think they will cut him any time soon.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:36 pm

Chupchup wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Chupchup wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/rockets/amp/Warriors-get-their-mystery-man-in-NBA-draft-14029572.php

Apparently it was Kent Jacob who scouted him at 16 in Serbia. Pulled him over to Santa Cruz a year before the draft to play there. They then traded 2 2nds and a mill to get him. Gave him a 4 year non guaran contract.

Yeah with him as Kent Lacob's pick. Don't think they will cut him any time soon.

I think they'll cut/trade him if he doesn't make the rotation next year.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#51 » by TB » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Onus wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
TB wrote:I was pretty mad with this pick knowing zero about him and having Hinton and Stanley on the board.

Still prefer either of those guys, but I’m officially intrigued and excited to follow Jessup this year.

If they drafted Hinton or Stanley they would basically be 2-way players. Instead they picked up a shooter they could stash and still have a chance at Hinton and Stanley being undrafted or at worst any number of other undrafted players on a 2-way. Locking up the rights to a player they liked without paying him is pretty useful.

Hinton is the guy I wanted and they could’ve still looked into him as a ufa. But we do kind of have a log jam at the position and need a shooter so I liked the pickup.

Yup good points by both of you. I like the cleverness of the pick. And Hinton is a non factor since they could have then grabbed him on a 2way since he didn't get drafted. If Stanley ends up a starter level player it will be considered a miss, but time will tell.

Overall i'm liking the move now that i've seen him play. I'm mostly mad we didnt get Hinton on a 2way, and i'll be keeping an eye on Stanley as well.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:03 am

Hinton and Stanley seem like athletes with flawed games ... the Warriors haven't had good luck with that sort of player.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#53 » by ShayDee » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:03 am

Mylie10
RealGM

Post#54 » by Mylie10 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:06 am

It’s funny because Jessup is exactly what we need right now lol
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#55 » by Coxy » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:22 am

He looks NBA ready doesn’t he. That shot form is sexy. Anyone else see some Chris Mullin in that stroke?
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#56 » by Quazza » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:24 am

Looks like he should be playing World of Warcraft but God dam that shot is legit
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#57 » by Mylie10 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:05 pm

Coxy wrote:He looks NBA ready doesn’t he. That shot form is sexy. Anyone else see some Chris Mullin in that stroke?

I do, but I can’t take it to that level. Even though this kid is more athletic.

Jessup works off ball like our boys do. I can’t wait to get him in here. And while it’s a smart move to have him plying a ton of minutes and maturing physically and in his game, it would be cool to have him here right now.
Khoee wrote “
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Post#58 » by Onus » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:13 pm

Feel like jj is better than poole
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#59 » by Mylie10 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:26 pm

Chupchup wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Chupchup wrote:

I can see why they’d be interested in Smiles. He has a nice skill set and he is 6’10”

Hit who could predict it would take him such a long time to mature himself. I know he’s really young, I have three boys, but he’s so out of control and it doesn’t seem like he’s fixing that aspect of his game. At some point he’s going to mature and he will most likely be a solid player. Just has to get his mind in tune with his body, because they are working against him right now.
Khoee wrote “
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#60 » by Samurai » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:14 pm

Coxy wrote:He looks NBA ready doesn’t he. That shot form is sexy. Anyone else see some Chris Mullin in that stroke?

I mentioned the Mullins-resemblance in form several times already. Although at the risk of stereotyping, most lefties with a smooth stroke look very similar. If Jessup can become even a poverty man's version of Mullins as a shooter, he can help this team. Heck, if he can shoot and be just an adequate defender he could be a major player on our second unit right now!

Return to Golden State Warriors