Official 2020-2021 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Re: Official 2020-2021 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread 

Post#41 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:19 am

Came to make a comment on the current preseasons game with the Clippers and noticed there is no game thread. Are we going to have game day threads for each game this year? Is that something that was stopped? Just curious. No criticism either way.

Um, the Jazz look awesome by the way. They have finally picked up the pace, shooting a ton of 3's, and playing good defense when it matters. If the Jazz on the preseason is real, they are the best Jazz team I have seen since I became a Jazz fan. Going on 14 years now.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#42 » by Tom349 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:33 am

A few thoughts:

- **** the zone off.
- Ingles is probably our less threatening option from 3 (discounting O'Neale and our bigs). Tells you everything you need to know about our perimeter shooting.
- Oni is coming for O'Neales minutes.
- Hughes moves really well off the ball, going to be a player.
- Anyone know the rules of guaranteeing two way contracts, can other teams poach players at the end of the season? As Forrest won't be a two way beyond this season.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,297

Post#43 » by sip » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:40 am

Damn I love Hughes and Oni. They will be great long term fits here.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,201

Post#44 » by babyjax13 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:42 am

It would be a shame if what we've seen in preseason is real, but we are forced to trade Rudy when we can't agree to an extension. This is a fun team.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#45 » by ForeverRDjazz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:51 am

babyjax13 wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I'll be honest, I actually kind of liked Goss when he got some burn in the bubble. Reminds me a lot of Neto in terms of someone that just seems to make good decisions and not hurt you on the court.

His play has looked good but when he made couple comments that were pretty racist I didn't think he'd last. :crazy: When will people learn?

I can't find anything racist that he's said?

https://www.fox13now.com/sports/member-of-utah-jazz-organization-defends-actors-anti-semitic-remarks Mixed the two players up. Sorry.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#46 » by ForeverRDjazz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:03 am

I see where Channing Frye thinks the jazz are second best team to start the season? In west, So much for flying under his radar. Man they got going and flat out smoked the Clips tonight. Smoked. Raining three...
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#47 » by babyjax13 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:17 am

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:His play has looked good but when he made couple comments that were pretty racist I didn't think he'd last. :crazy: When will people learn?

https://www.fox13now.com/sports/member-of-utah-jazz-organization-defends-actors-anti-semitic-remarks Mixed the two players up. Sorry.

Yikes, that's some stupid stuff :o

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#48 » by babyjax13 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:19 am

ForeverRDjazz wrote:I see where Channing Frye thinks the jazz are second best team to start the season? In west, So much for flying under his radar. Man they got going and flat out smoked the Clips tonight. Smoked. Raining three...

Clippers were with us it looks like till they had a small blip in the second with Goerge and Leonard off the court. That being said, us, the Lakers, and Portland are the only top 8 teams that I think meaningfully improved. I have us third (behind both LA teams) but I could easily see us winning the most games. Going to be a fun year so long as everyone stays happy and healthy.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#49 » by babyjax13 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:20 am

sip wrote:Damn I love Hughes and Oni. They will be great long term fits here.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app

Kinda like what I saw from Forrest, too. I liked NWG, I was maybe the only person, lol, but Forrest looks like an okay prospect so I'm fine with the change. Harrison's defense was nice, too.

JColl
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#50 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:54 am

babyjax13 wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

So Mormons and Jewish people can believe they are the chosen people, but black people cant? It’s anti Semitic to think that? What?

Also, the rothchilds do have a very sketchy past. And it has nothing to do with being Jewish. That’s what happens when your family is tied to central banks that profit off of wars and genocide.

I dunno. Maybe Cannon said other offensive things that weren’t in the article, but none of that is any more offensive than Jews believing they are gods chosen people.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#51 » by babyjax13 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:55 am

Jazz have signed Yogi Ferrell. Like this, good Clarkson insurance. Not nearly as good, but can somewhat fill that role if he is down for any amount of time, and we have enough quality bench players to still be good.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#52 » by babyjax13 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:34 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

So Mormons and Jewish people can believe they are the chosen people, but black people cant? It’s anti Semitic to think that? What?

Also, the rothchilds do have a very sketchy past. And it has nothing to do with being Jewish. That’s what happens when your family is tied to central banks that profit off of wars and genocide.

I dunno. Maybe Cannon said other offensive things that weren’t in the article, but none of that is any more offensive than Jews believing they are gods chosen people.

Veering into OT territory, but when you claim that Jewish people are not, in fact, Jewish --- well, people are going to be upset. It's a lot different to say "well a lot of ancient Semitic people were black" than "we are the true Hebrews." There is also a long history of specifically claiming that there is a secret cabal of rich Jewish people that control the world (dating at least back to King Louis the VII of France - probably even before that) and using the claim to then discriminate against Jewish people. I'll just leave it there.

JColl
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#53 » by tugs » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:04 am

Jazz is effen deep it's ridiculous
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#54 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:40 pm

The Jazz attempted 52 threes last night and made 24 of them! But we still attacked the paint too, outscoring the Clips 36-26 in the paint.

'It's definitely a different style of play': Jazz continue to rain 3's, finish preseason unbeaten
https://www.ksl.com/article/50069658/its-definitely-a-different-style-of-play-jazz-continue-to-rain-3s-finish-preseason-unbeaten
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#55 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:08 pm

Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#56 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Main thing that jumps out to me is their minutes played versus the amount of points scored. If they continue to let the three fly like they have been the starters are going to get a lot of rest. They will have games where they are up by 20 in the fourth and just play their bench guys. That’s a wonderful thing in may regards. They will be rested, bench will develop, confidence builder, and give coaching staff to evaluate third string guys. I’m seriously pumped for the season. All the criticisms myself and others have made for a decade seem to be addressed. Finally playing with pace, making the extra pass, and getting up the 3 ball.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,384

Post#57 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:15 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:

Main thing that jumps out to me is their minutes played versus the amount of points scored. If they continue to let the three fly like they have been the starters are going to get a lot of rest. They will have games where they are up by 20 in the fourth and just play their bench guys. That’s a wonderful thing in may regards. They will be rested, bench will develop, confidence builder, and give coaching staff to evaluate third string guys. I’m seriously pumped for the season. All the criticisms myself and others have made for a decade seem to be addressed. Finally playing with pace, making the extra pass, and getting up the 3 ball.

Bizarre the Jazz actually are playing a modern NBA offense this decade, but I love it! Dudes are getting open 3 looks all night, due in part because defenders have to stay honest with the Gobert/Favors lob threat for 48 minutes. Very pleasant bench surprises coming from Oni, Stephens and Forrest, who all look way better than buried at the end of the bench types, and I've always had a soft spot for Yogi's game, (can score in bunches). Ridiculously deep bench roster this year that was the Achilles heel last year. I agree that the Jazz are actually in the hunt for the top seed, depending on how the covid season/load management plays out with the LA teams.

I think the stealth break-out candidate for meaningful bench rotation minutes will be Stephens - he's playing like a mature first rounder and has obvious game/scoring feel - sending in Clarkson and Stephens for ridiculous instant offense could be a game changer.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#58 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:06 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

Bizarre the Jazz actually are playing a modern NBA offense this decade, but I love it! Dudes are getting open 3 looks all night, due in part because defenders have to stay honest with the Gobert/Favors lob threat for 48 minutes. Very pleasant bench surprises coming from Oni, Stephens and Forrest, who all look way better than buried at the end of the bench types, and I've always had a soft spot for Yogi's game, (can score in bunches). Ridiculously deep bench roster this year that was the Achilles heel last year. I agree that the Jazz are actually in the hunt for the top seed, depending on how the covid season/load management plays out with the LA teams.

I think the stealth break-out candidate for meaningful bench rotation minutes will be Stephens - he's playing like a mature first rounder and has obvious game/scoring feel - sending in Clarkson and Stephens for ridiculous instant offense could be a game changer.

I am probably missing something, but I don't see a guy named Stephens on the roster. Do you mean Hughes?
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#59 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:23 pm

My thoughts of last night's final pre-season game.

I liked Kabengele in the draft, and thought he played well last night. Not very often a center defends Gobert as well as he did.

While I realize that Clarkson is fun to watch and brings energy and scoring, I didn't like him at all on the floor with DM and Bogey as for the most part he played his ball hogging style while ignoring them. He was super effective with the GL backups last year, but I wonder how things will go this year (I realize he had 20 pts, his fit is just off to me outside of the "we need someone to score the next few minutes" role).

I am warming up to Forest and Hughes, they have a lot of potential. Shaq was what I expected in his limited minutes. Oni is also playing great. Brantley and Morgan, on the other hand, don't look like NBA players to me. I think that instead of getting another shrimp of a guard, the Jazz should have considered a large defensive wing or more traditional PF as the last signing. This brings me to a bit of concern with DM and MC on the floor together as one of them ends up defending a much larger wing.

The team is much deeper and more balanced this year than last, and I am excited to see how it plays out.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#60 » by tugs » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:42 pm

This style of play reminds me of the Warriors from a couple of years ago. But instead of using multiple passes and screens to free up Steph or Klay, Jazz has at least 4 legitimate threats from deep on the floor at all times.

Return to Utah Jazz