ImageImage

OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Re: OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread 

Post#641 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:59 am

More fit. More dog walks, time to go jogging again, no random Thursday night beer and wings specials.

I also took up fasting every Monday starting the new year and I love it. It's not that difficult to do, and it kind of negates any weekend garbage you eat/drink....which also has gone down since being quarantined.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,447

OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread 

Post#642 » by steger_3434 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:54 pm

So I’ve been running around 30 miles a week at a 7:30/mile pace and biking around 80 miles a week averaging around 19 mph. Am totally losing muscle mass though. Before gyms were shut down I was benching 245 on my last set 10 times. I’m willing to bet I couldn’t do 205 right now on my last set.

I’m
Also an “essential” employee and in the last 40 days because of this pandemic I’ve only had 1 day off of work. Easter Sunday. I basically work 10 hour days every day including weekends, get cardio in, eat dinner with the wife, then go to bed to do it all over again. Mentally I’m shut down from working 39 out of the last 40 days

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,652

Post#643 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:55 pm

Bumping with a question for people who know more than me, or one of our doctors :)

I'm a long-time, short-distance runner. I'm talking like 2-3 miles, 3-4 times per week - nothing major. Every once in a while I'll push to do like a 10k event, or Crazylegs if I'm in Wisconsin, etc. This is also all I do, save some occasional yoga. I am slender build, 6'0 ~155, if it matters.

I also have exercise asthma which makes running in cold weather completely miserable, so I usually hibernate in the winter. This year though I thought what the hell, let's try Peloton. And as it turns out I love it. I have a history of knee problems in my left - I wear a brace to run and have gotten PT previously after an injury. On the bike, it feels like I have no pain. It's wonderful.

The question comes in here. I've been biking now for about 3 months and feel stronger, and like I'm working harder, than I have in years - probably since I was last in 10k shape. But I'm now also experiencing this weird sensation in both of my knees, where it feels like I step wrong and my knee is about to give out. It happened once on the bike, too. It's almost like my knee locks momentarily, which is good, because otherwise it'd go backwards. I don't know how to explain it.

This has never happened to me before. Could it somehow be related to biking, working different muscles, etc? I don't know if it's something I need to work through to continue to build strength somewhere, or if I need to pause what I'm doing to focus elsewhere, or slow down because of overwork, etc.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,993

Post#644 » by midranger » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:20 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Bumping with a question for people who know more than me, or one of our doctors :)

I'm a long-time, short-distance runner. I'm talking like 2-3 miles, 3-4 times per week - nothing major. Every once in a while I'll push to do like a 10k event, or Crazylegs if I'm in Wisconsin, etc. This is also all I do, save some occasional yoga. I am slender build, 6'0 ~155, if it matters.

I also have exercise asthma which makes running in cold weather completely miserable, so I usually hibernate in the winter. This year though I thought what the hell, let's try Peloton. And as it turns out I love it. I have a history of knee problems in my left - I wear a brace to run and have gotten PT previously after an injury. On the bike, it feels like I have no pain. It's wonderful.

The question comes in here. I've been biking now for about 3 months and feel stronger, and like I'm working harder, than I have in years - probably since I was last in 10k shape. But I'm now also experiencing this weird sensation in both of my knees, where it feels like I step wrong and my knee is about to give out. It happened once on the bike, too. It's almost like my knee locks momentarily, which is good, because otherwise it'd go backwards. I don't know how to explain it.

This has never happened to me before. Could it somehow be related to biking, working different muscles, etc? I don't know if it's something I need to work through to continue to build strength somewhere, or if I need to pause what I'm doing to focus elsewhere, or slow down because of overwork, etc.

While I’m not sure of your exact issue, oftentimes it’s a IT band problem. Could try some foam rolling.

I think running is typically working posterior muscles while biking kills your quads. So it could also be some quad tightening. Be sure to stretch.

As an aside, I love my Tread classes for those short to mid runs you describe. Long runs, any treadmill becomes excruciating. Obviously it’s super expensive, but it has been worth it for me.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,447

Post#645 » by steger_3434 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:37 pm

Sounds like an it band issue. Have you been professionally fitted on your bike? Not a bad idea to get one of you havnt.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#646 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:55 pm

midranger wrote:While I’m not sure of your exact issue, oftentimes it’s a IT band problem. Could try some foam rolling.

I think running is typically working posterior muscles while biking kills your quads. So it could also be some quad tightening. Be sure to stretch.

As an aside, I love my Tread classes for those short to mid runs you describe. Long runs, any treadmill becomes excruciating. Obviously it’s super expensive, but it has been worth it for me.

Thanks. I don't foam roll but have thought about it. I'll give it a shot to see if it helps. Yeah, my quads feel - like physically, to my hands, lol - way stronger than I recall them previously when running (which I presume is likely just my perception). I figured I was working different muscles, but I didn't know which. Thought maybe the biking without running was making me focus on one area too much while ignoring another.

We have a treadmill, but not the Tread. I use the Peloton app quite a bit though for stretching or yoga, so should give their running classes a try - both for enjoyment, and maybe it ends up helping me too.

steger_3434 wrote:Sounds like an it band issue. Have you been professionally fitted on your bike? Not a bad idea to get one of you havnt.

it was assembled to fit me, but I'm sure that doesn't mean the same thing. I have not had anything professionally done like by a bike shop or wherever would do such a thing, so good suggestion.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,700

Post#647 » by jimmybones » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:53 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:

Hard to say without physically observing you but I'm with midranger on the quads. I'd bet your hips/glutes are weak and your quads are overactive from the biking. Do you sit a lot, for work?

PS not a doctor but a personal trainer for 9 years specializing in rehabilitation. I've worked with some pro athletes and have the same credentials as some NBA trainers. Not trying to sound all look at me I know everything, cause I don't, but more than most...lol
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#648 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:10 pm

jimmybones wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

Hard to say without physically observing you but I'm with midranger on the quads. I'd bet your hips/glutes are weak and your quads are overactive from the biking. Do you sit a lot, for work?

PS not a doctor but a personal trainer for 9 years specializing in rehabilitation. I've worked with some pro athletes and have the same credentials as some NBA trainers. Not trying to sound all look at me I know everything, cause I don't, but more than most...lol

I sit for 9-10 hours a day for work alone. I get up on the hour to stretch, and take some calls standing during the day. But yes, lots of sitting at my desk (I hate standing desks).
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,700

Post#649 » by jimmybones » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:42 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
jimmybones wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

I sit for 9-10 hours a day for work alone. I get up on the hour to stretch, and take some calls standing during the day. But yes, lots of sitting at my desk (I hate standing desks).

Incredibly common and *usually* results in tight hips (and back) and weak hips/glutes.

Add in some hip thrusts and reverse lunges if you work out from home and can't hurt to stretch your hip flexors and back/IT band (as mentioned by the guys above). My 10 cents-through-the-internet-and-not-a-doctor prescription for you lol
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#650 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:45 pm

jimmybones wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
jimmybones wrote:

Incredibly common and *usually* results in tight hips (and back) and weak hips/glutes.

Add in some hip thrusts and reverse lunges if you work out from home and can't hurt to stretch your hip flexors and back/IT band (as mentioned by the guys above). My 10 cents-through-the-internet-and-not-a-doctor prescription for you lol

I ordered a foam roller to start working on my IT bands (really looking forward to that :blank:) and otherwise. I'll incorporate those stretches into my routine too.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,229

Post#651 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:25 pm

I've been doing P90X 6 days a week for years. Love it. I've tried other programs including P90X2 and P90X3 but the original is what works best for me. On the other day I usually do some of Tony's one on one workouts. Some of those are intense. I doubt the one on one workout DVD's are around anymore but they are all available on Beachbody on Demand.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#652 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 9:20 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I've been doing P90X 6 days a week for years. Love it. I've tried other programs including P90X2 and P90X3 but the original is what works best for me. On the other day I usually do some of Tony's one on one workouts. Some of those are intense. I doubt the one on one workout DVD's are around anymore but they are all available on Beachbody on Demand.

Love Beachbody on Demand. $99 per year and they have pretty much every type of workout available. I've done LIIFT4, P90X, Ten Rounds, and am now doing Muscle Burns Fat.

The original P90X is intense as hell. I'm generally into 30-35 minute workouts that just go hard the entire time with no break. P90X is almost double that, no joke.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,229

Post#653 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jan 6, 2021 9:26 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I've been doing P90X 6 days a week for years. Love it. I've tried other programs including P90X2 and P90X3 but the original is what works best for me. On the other day I usually do some of Tony's one on one workouts. Some of those are intense. I doubt the one on one workout DVD's are around anymore but they are all available on Beachbody on Demand.

Love Beachbody on Demand. $99 per year and they have pretty much every type of workout available. I've done LIIFT4, P90X, Ten Rounds, and am now doing Muscle Burns Fat.

The original P90X is intense as hell. I'm generally into 30-35 minute workouts that just go hard the entire time with no break. P90X is almost double that, no joke.

I still have the DVD's but I'm thinking about the On Demand to try to mix it up. But I always end up doing the original P90X. I started with the original P90 and then did X.

Any routine that gets you to move is a good one.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#654 » by crkone » Wed Jan 6, 2021 9:41 pm

I believe P90X is free on internet archive.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#655 » by BUCKnation » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:49 pm

Trained for and did a marathon recently where I finished under 5 hours. Until recently, never thought I'd be addicted to running but I think I am. Try to fit in at least 3 to 4 runs a week of 5+ miles now. Early in high school I remember skipping out on sports b/c I hated running so much so its a totally different attitude now that I'm older.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,459

Post#656 » by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:42 pm

BUCKnation wrote:Trained for and did a marathon recently where I finished under 5 hours. Until recently, never thought I'd be addicted to running but I think I am. Try to fit in at least 3 to 4 runs a week of 5+ miles now. Early in high school I remember skipping out on sports b/c I hated running so much so its a totally different attitude now that I'm older.

Got anymore of that running addiction left over? I need to get back on the fitness horse but I'm finding it to be harder now that I've hit 30. :lol:
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#657 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:34 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
jimmybones wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

I ordered a foam roller to start working on my IT bands (really looking forward to that :blank:) and otherwise. I'll incorporate those stretches into my routine too.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

So it's been about a month now, and just wanted to say that running really helped me out. I also started using the roller, but thankfully running regularly started helping almost immediately. I also added some targeted hip and IT band stretches.

midranger, you were also right about the Peloton running classes. I've always hated running on a treadmill, but their classes are great there. It's not an exhaustive workout - at least not those I've taken so far - but the coaching/talking and music seems to help it be less boring than a treadmill usually is.

Thanks for the tips, gents!
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,013

Post#658 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:41 am

Chase sapphire preferred/reserved have credits for pelton. If you have the reserve, you basically get a year of peleton app free. It's not perfect since I can't figure out how to save/organize my favorites but a decent amount of variety and really like their 15 min hit workout. Real easy to tell at yourself to do 15 min when you don't have to leave, need no equipment and only 15 min. I've always been good at binging workout and runs on weekends but this is the first time I can get myself to continue during the week.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#659 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:24 pm

The Peloton app really is great, and I'm sure the machines are too. I rolled my eyes at the whole thing for a couple years - probably mostly because of the cringy commercials - but when I found out they had an app and tried that out, I became a believer.

You can bookmark classes and access those from each exercise type by using the filters, but agrees there isn't easy organization. If you use the web browser version, you can create playlists ("stacks") for yourself now, which get pushed to the app.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#660 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue May 18, 2021 1:41 pm

Anybody have any experience with buying from Bulk Supplements? I bought some creatine as seemed like legit company but went to Reddit/read some reviews and got me nervous about if the stuff is non-toxic, sigh. But seems like every supplement has some skeptical reviews. GNC is often more expensive but at same time willing to pay more if know its quality.

Anybody here use creatine and have an opinion? Been reading ton of info and seems safe as long as keep hydration up. I've never been a big supplement guy as never want to put anything bad into body but seems like alot of positives and I'd like to continue to get more lean muscle. I've knocked about 2-3% off in last year by working out (bands and cardio), trying to increase protein (whey isolate & foods, and more recently trying to cut sugars/junk food.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks