ImageImageImageImageImage

Triple Double King Russell Westbrook Appreciation Thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Re: Russell Westbrook in DC Appreciation Thread. 

Post#61 » by NatP4 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 10:50 pm

DCZards wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Hopefully Beal worked on the same thing. His defensive impact was a massive net negative last year. Need both of the to prevent off the dribble penetration to be a good defense

Beal had a massive offensive load to carry last season. He should be somewhat excused for his subpar D.

Somewhat, but he was one of the absolute worst defenders in the NBA last season by a lot of advanced metrics. I get that it was a throwaway year, but hopefully competitive Beal comes back this season and we see him have a much better impact with lower usage and more giving a crap. I’m sure he’ll be fine on that end.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#62 » by NatP4 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 10:57 pm

Just a note: in the practice footage that has been released so far, Neto,Mathews,Pacecniks, and Taylor were all wearing purple shirts probably indicating 3rd string or non rotation guys. The 2nd unit looked to be Ish Smith, Jerome Robinson, Troy Brown, Yoeli Childs, and Mo Wagner.

1st unit looked to be Bryant, Rui, Beal, and Westbrook as expected. Looks like Bertans and Lopez are still not at camp.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#63 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 8, 2020 11:25 pm

Frichuela wrote:Good listen.

His priority this off-season has been to improve his defensive impact. Russ being a consistent plus defender this season would make a big difference, particularly in regards to containing dribble penetration and closing in on the 3 point line.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Gonna have to have faith that both Russ and Beal save enough energy on offense that they will use on defense. That'll also make things easier on the interior defenders. Everyone eats instead of barfs.

Can we also add Montez Sweat and Chase Young to our defensive rotation - when they're not busy?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Doug_Blew
Junior
And1: 313

Post#64 » by Doug_Blew » Tue Dec 8, 2020 11:35 pm

NatP4 wrote:Just a note: in the practice footage that has been released so far, Neto,Mathews,Pacecniks, and Taylor were all wearing purple shirts probably indicating 3rd string or non rotation guys. The 2nd unit looked to be Ish Smith, Jerome Robinson, Troy Brown, Yoeli Childs, and Mo Wagner.

1st unit looked to be Bryant, Rui, Beal, and Westbrook as expected. Looks like Bertans and Lopez are still not at camp.

Is Advija in camp?
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#65 » by doclinkin » Tue Dec 8, 2020 11:41 pm

Doug_Blew wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Just a note: in the practice footage that has been released so far, Neto,Mathews,Pacecniks, and Taylor were all wearing purple shirts probably indicating 3rd string or non rotation guys. The 2nd unit looked to be Ish Smith, Jerome Robinson, Troy Brown, Yoeli Childs, and Mo Wagner.

Is Advija in camp?

Yes he is. Bonga too. We are seeing snippets, so it is hard to tell if players are consistently on the same squad as in some drills we see different configurations.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#66 » by prime1time » Wed Dec 9, 2020 1:14 am

NatP4 wrote:
DCZards wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Hopefully Beal worked on the same thing. His defensive impact was a massive net negative last year. Need both of the to prevent off the dribble penetration to be a good defense

Beal had a massive offensive load to carry last season. He should be somewhat excused for his subpar D.

Somewhat, but he was one of the absolute worst defenders in the NBA last season by a lot of advanced metrics. I get that it was a throwaway year, but hopefully competitive Beal comes back this season and we see him have a much better impact with lower usage and more giving a crap. I’m sure he’ll be fine on that end.

What was Brad's defense like for his entire career? Seems weird to penalize him because of one year.
TheBlackCzar
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#67 » by TheBlackCzar » Wed Dec 9, 2020 3:41 am

Welcome to DC Big Russ....... teach our youngins well....
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#68 » by DCZards » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:52 pm

This is from The Athletic. Says a lot about the relationship between Russ and Scotty...and maybe even more about Russ.

Anthony Morrow vividly remembers one of the many times Scott Brooks ripped into Russell Westbrook.

Westbrook had just completed a sloppy first half in Miami, missing seven of his 10 shots while dishing only one assist. The Thunder fell down considerably in the first quarter before battling back to make it close by the end of the second. It was the winter of 2015, a difficult time for Oklahoma City, which was fighting through injuries to remain in the playoff picture. OKC fans now callously refer to that year as “The Plagues of Egypt Season.” This team needed more from its point guard, so when it gathered in the locker room, Brooks approached him — in front of everyone.

“It was just one of those situations that was real tense in the locker room,” said Morrow, who played for the Thunder from 2014 to 2017. “Scott came in and went right at him. … He just went in on him.”

Morrow remembers Brooks’ accusations. “You’re turning the ball over!” and “We need you!” and, as he so subtly describes, “Some other choice words; you know what I’m saying?”

Come the second half, it all changed. Westbrook sank five of his seven shots. He turned the ball over only once — and the giveaway didn’t occur until the final minute, when the game was mostly decided. Morrow doesn’t consider the turnaround a coincidence.

“I’ve seen Scott chew his ass out before. And every single time that happened, Russ responded in a positive way. Every time,” said Morrow, an esteemed veteran in that locker room. “So, I think he respects it. He respects Scott. And I think that just seeing the way that they move, it was different than how they move with other people on the team. And I can understand that. Scott was a point guard. He saw something in Russ that was special and said, ‘He’s my point guard. No matter what anybody says, he’s my point guard.’”

“The crazy thing is I never saw Russ go back at him. … In the moment, he would be pissed off, because coach is calling you out,” Morrow said. “Nobody wants that ever. But you know it’s gonna happen to everybody at some point. I’ve never seen him go back at him. He just went out and responded on the court.”
NatP4
RealGM

Post#69 » by NatP4 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Thanks for posting, Zards. I always wondered about this in DC, with Wall being an established superstar before Brooks was here. Figured he could never really call him out for poor play.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#70 » by Frichuela » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:17 pm

Not sure if this was discussed in an another thread.
https://www.bulletsforever.com/2020/12/17/22179668/russell-westbrook-houston-rockets-culture-concerns-james-harden#comments

This is one of the upsides of having a solid pro like Westbrook who takes things seriously. I am quite excited to see if his professional attitude rubs off on the younger players, very important.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#71 » by gambitx777 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:07 pm

Watching Russ teaching some D to D.A. in camp was really cool.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#72 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:09 pm

:eek1:
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#73 » by TGW » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:20 pm

I'd appreciate if he got in his car and drove his ass back to Houston.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by Frichuela » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:24 pm

nate33 wrote:Image

:eek1:

Shocking.

I honestly wonder if he is playing hurt.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#75 » by doclinkin » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:08 pm

Or if his COVID bout messed with his overall fitness. Neither of which should affect poor decision making or turnovers.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by Frichuela » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:54 pm

“Quad” soreness..

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#77 » by Wizardspride » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#78 » by smoothSeph » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Knew something was off. Let him rest up no point in rushing him back.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#79 » by queridiculo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:19 pm

smoothSeph wrote:
Read on Twitter

Knew something was off. Let him rest up no point in rushing him back.

This begs the question, why the **** wouldn't you just let him heal up?

It's not like the Wizards were starved for options out there.
wall_glizzy
Junior
And1: 199

Post#80 » by wall_glizzy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:23 pm

queridiculo wrote:This begs the question, why the **** wouldn't you just let him heal up?

It's not like the Wizards were starved for options out there.

Needed him back ASAP or we'd look like rubes, stuck running lineups with only two guards

Return to Washington Wizards