Training Camp/Preseason Stuff

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Re: Training Camp/Preseason Stuff 

Post#61 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:03 am

What's an "Earned Edition" uniform? Has this been a thing before?
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#62 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:40 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:I get that we have had a hole at backup big lately but I don't see the need for a 4th big. Realistically is there a big difference between Jakarr and whoever would be that center.

If our 3 young bigs can't cut it whether that be due to injuries or poor performance then we need to reevaluate. We should have enough for 95% of games at least.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app

I'd say the Pacers need a veteran backup PF. I don't see how they're gonna get one.
We don't have the money to do so but there's a few ok options relatively speaking (at minimum level prices).

Taj Gibson
Anthony Tolliver
Wilson Chandler
Ersan Ilyasova
Demarre Carrol

I believe all are unsigned right now. That said, I kinda prefer a few cheap young guys at the end of the bench right now over another vet. We're fine on veteran presences and leadership honestly. Might as well give ourselves more chances to possibly find a diamond in the rough.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app

Yeah I thought about Gibson and Ilyasova and like you said even a vet minimum contract puts us in the tax. Lamb's contract is a bit of an issue but I can't see the team giving up a #1 to move him. Ideally they could trade him for a guy making $7.5 to 8 million who would be a PF but I'm not finding anyone like that. Maybe Belelica of the Kings but I don't think they need a shooting guard and they'd want a #1 most likely. I'd give them 2 2nds but probably not a #1.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,072

Post#63 » by Wizop » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:24 pm

Vonleh?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#64 » by Tom White » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:10 pm

Wizop wrote:Vonleh?

I think he tested positive for Covid before he was waived. No idea how he is doing or if that contributed to Chicago's decision to waive him.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:12 am

Wizop wrote:Vonleh?

I think he’s really proving to be more of a 5 defensively going forward.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#66 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:47 pm

I thought about Vonleh too, I saw he was waived. If we had the room and a roster spot it might be worth a 10 day contract to take a look at him but he is more of a 5 and his 3 point shot is digressing it seems.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:44 pm

I had to laugh. In the source for the Wiretap article that states that Steve Ballmer of the Clippers is the "Best Team Owner", I looked through it.
https://theathletic.com/2261119/2020/12/17/nba-owners-ranked/?source=dailyemail

Simon is neither listed as one of the 16 owners receiving any votes for Best Owner, nor one of the 10 receiving any votes for Worst Owner. He's....just existing. :lol: AND IT'S PROBABLY RIGHT! :lol:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:53 pm

Malcolm Brogdon is a big believer in Bjorkgren.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2020/12/17/pacers-malcolm-brogdon-believes-team-can-reach-50-wins-despite-changes/3922914001/

"I think this should definitely be a 50-win team," Brogdon said Thursday, which would be the same as a 44-win season with the 72-game schedule. "We were going to be a 50-win team last year. I think we should be peaking by the end of the year."
________
Going into Friday's final preseason game vs. the Philadelphia 76ers, a conference rival that has been a difficult matchup, new coach Nate Bjorkgren is pleased where the Pacers stand despite two exhibition losses to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

"The biggest thing is the ball movement and the weakside movement without the ball continues to get better," he said. "You saw that ball move pretty good in Cleveland. It was snapping around there and guys were looking for each other. There’s so much more to come with that."
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#69 » by Topofthekey » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:13 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:I had to laugh. In the source for the Wiretap article that states that Steve Ballmer of the Clippers is the "Best Team Owner", I looked through it.
https://theathletic.com/2261119/2020/12/17/nba-owners-ranked/?source=dailyemail

Simon is neither listed as one of the 16 owners receiving any votes for Best Owner, nor one of the 10 receiving any votes for Worst Owner. He's....just existing. :lol: AND IT'S PROBABLY RIGHT! :lol:

Let's hope this doesn't motivate Simon to get more hands on with the team in order to chase some kind of best owner award
Wizop
RealGM

Post#70 » by Wizop » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:00 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:43 am

Guys, Vic looked GOOOOOOOOD tonight. Lot of bounce, accurate shot, and his attacking led to opportunities for his teammates.

Sabonis looked MUCH better defensively this year. He bodied well, and he even attacked shots well near the rim. Honestly, he looked like if he could have a Myles Turner playing the 4 next to him instead of Justin Holiday, like there might be something killer there.
Also, Goga just needs some more confidence, and Bjorkgren seems to be the perfect fit for him to succeed. He had some growing pains, and some solid flashes tonight.

Kelan Martin needs to make this roster. I think he really offers something that can contribute to winning off the bench.

I think Cassius Stanley can help this team within 2 years. He’s got a lot of talent, but in ways that help teams and not just looks good in highlight plays (though, that too).

Lecque is looking for every shot he can get.

This pains me, but I don’t think that TJ McConnell is a good fit for this system. He’s really trying, and he has solid ball movement obviously, but his complete lack of willingness to shoot the 3, and his inaccuracy when he does, just kills the spacing. It really showed up on his pick and roll offense with Goga, as the defenders both just dropped giving Goga both no one to screen, and no space to roll, since TJ is no threat to take the jump shot off the top. Obviously, he’s a guy you might keep around because of his attitude in the locker room, but I think Aaron takes minutes from him, and when Lamb returns, if Sumner is hitting a 3, I just don’t see many minutes or opportunities for TJ Mac.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#72 » by Wizop » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:53 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:I just don’t see many minutes or opportunities for TJ Mac.

TJ has sure struggled. It'll be interesting to see if Bjorkgren alters things when the games count to let him do what he does well. The 2nd unit sure hasn't played well without the Holidays.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:42 am

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I just don’t see many minutes or opportunities for TJ Mac.

TJ has sure struggled. It'll be interesting to see if Bjorkgren alters things when the games count to let him do what he does well. The 2nd unit sure hasn't played well without the Holidays.

Sent from my phone.

Not only the Holidays, but they also didn't really get the benefit of Sampson/Sumner, either, as Bjorkgren was letting the other guys get some run to feel more comfortable.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#74 » by Wizop » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:56 pm

Leaf and Alize both waived.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:01 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:03 pm

Players must be waived by 5pm today in order to clear waivers by Monday and not get any days of pro-rated pay. I would expect to see Gray, Robinson, and Naz Mitrou-Long waived today.

The final question is do we waive Kelan to get under the tax (simplest solution), pay someone to take on Lecque to get under (probably wouldn’t require a 2nd, just $2m in cash?), or make some other trade to get under the tax? Could it be McConnell?
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#77 » by Tom White » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:40 pm

Do we know why Sumner did not play vs Philly? Was he hurt?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#78 » by pacers33granger » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:45 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
The final question is do we waive Kelan to get under the tax (simplest solution), pay someone to take on Lecque to get under (probably wouldn’t require a 2nd, just $2m in cash?), or make some other trade to get under the tax? Could it be McConnell?

I think we opt for one of the easier solutions, but my sneaky candidate for a trade to get under the tax is Doug. Love him, but odds are we don't resign him. The minutes at his position are really crowded when everyone is healthy (especially with Justin coming back) and unfortunately he can really only play SF.

There's minutes there given injuries and how crazy this season could be with players sitting periodically. But if the team likes what they saw from Kelan and believes he can take up any extra minutes then it may be best to get an asset out of Doug and get him to a team that could use him more.

Again, I doubt it actually happens and still have hopes for Doug to have a strong season under a new system that should cater to his skillset. But I think he has some positive value on the market and is expendable honestly.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#79 » by Tom White » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:46 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Just based on this shortened pre-season, I would try to move Lecque and/or McConnell. I hate to say that about McConnell, but he is not showing anything with this system, although I liked what he brought last year. Could the system change have made that much difference in his productivity? Is he just having a bad slump at the absolute wrong time? I'm having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with his game this season.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#80 » by pacers33granger » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:59 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Just based on this shortened pre-season, I would try to move Lecque and/or McConnell. I hate to say that about McConnell, but he is not showing anything with this system, although I liked what he brought last year. Could the system change have made that much difference in his productivity? Is he just having a bad slump at the absolute wrong time? I'm having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with his game this season.

He may just need more time. He may also just not be a fit anymore at all. But other than playing fast and being a pest on defense, the rest of the system is somewhat of a new thing for him. He's also been playing more with guys who are trying for minutes or roster spots, so hard to make much of what's happening in those lineups.

Return to Indiana Pacers