Gobert Available?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Re: Gobert Available? 

Post#81 » by AingesBurner » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:31 pm

stitches wrote:A deal that I think might be done is one that involves the supermax BUT it's heavily incentives laden. Example

- Sure... you get the 35% BUT... only if we win a championship... or only if you are MVP.
- 34% if you get 1st team All-NBA and DPOY
- 33% if you get 1st team All-NBA
- 32% if you get 2nd team All-NBA and DPOY
- 31% if you get 2nd team All-NBA
- 30.5% if you get 3d team All-NBA and 1st team All-Defense
- 30% if you get 1st team all-D
- 29% if you get 2nd team all-D
- 28% in any other case.

Something like this...

And IMO(like others have said above) if Gobert doesn't sign an extension it will be a mistake to wait it out and see what happens. If all negotiations fall through... just trade him. Please! Yes, we will take a step back this year, but it's better to take a step back for a year than to lose an all-NBA talent for nothing.

I hate this...

I definitely like this but is it legally possible under the CBA?
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#82 » by stitches » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:57 pm

GobertReport wrote:I definitely like this but is it legally possible under the CBA?

AFAIK yes.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#83 » by KqWIN » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:03 pm

Just don't think this is going to end up well. He has much better basketball options to sign with in DAL and TOR next summer. If we try to trade him, we will get pennies. Gobert is undervalued to begin with, he's on expiring, and he's a C. We're going to get nothing if we trade him.

This is just a very bad situation for UTA. I say give him the money he wants. All the other paths are awful.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 977

Post#84 » by red4hf » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:12 pm

What to make of the Wiretap story? It's all over the place.....
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#85 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:12 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

If that's true and he hasn't been budging, we should have known this much earlier and we should have traded him when teams were throwing insane offers for worse players.

WT story that he's willing to accept less than Super Max.

But that could still mean annual cap numbers over $35 million.

With Rudi being a perennial DPOY and Mitchell being an all-star, the Jazz have been first or second round exits.

Can the Jazz take another stop by extending Rudi? Donovan played better than he ever has in the bubble, though they still were eliminated in the first round.

Are the Jazz willing to increase their payroll with pretty much the same roster, meaning extending Rudi with at least a max contract on top of the max contract they just signed Mitchell to as well as a big contract to Clarkson if the results are the same as the past 2-3 years?

On another note, imagine if Hayward stayed and the Jazz added Mitchell as well. They might have at least been able to reach the WCF by now.

But they'd have had to extend Mitchell this opast offseason and possibly Hayward as well (if he signed the same type of contract he signed with Boston). Then they'd be looking at a Super Max extension for Rudi the next offseason.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#86 » by KqWIN » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:14 pm

stitches wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

If that's true and he hasn't been budging, we should have known this much earlier and we should have traded him when teams were throwing insane offers for worse players.

I think it's pretty obvious that this guy is talking out of his ass...but it's not unrealistic. Anyone with a brain could have made this assumption that this is where the negotiation point is.

I'm not sure a Rudy trade can land more value than one year of Gobert. There is no trade market for him. The only logical landing spots that would treat him as a long term asset already have max space to sign him in the summer (TOR and DAL).
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 356

Post#87 » by vryadli » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:50 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

I was a great fan of Gobert, may be greatest on the board. But if this is true, I don't especially care about him going somewhere. He is valuable for Jazz only if he confirm his value chemistry-wise in Duncan style i.e show all kind of unselfish examples. I think hi may be - just may be comparable to Tim in total impact - and even that is rather a stretch. Asking so much he put himself way below Tim both as team member and as competitor. So, I think it' better to let him go rather earlier than later.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#88 » by ForeverRDjazz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:56 am

We can finish out this year and still reach a deal next year or let him walk if things don't work out? Love to keep Rudy here and like to be wise while doing it. Fair deal for both sides. Face it owner won't be making money this year with Covid.
devilsadvocate9
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#89 » by devilsadvocate9 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:59 pm

wco81 wrote:
stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

With Rudi being a perennial DPOY and Mitchell being an all-star, the Jazz have been first or second round exits.

Can the Jazz take another stop by extending Rudi? Donovan played better than he ever has in the bubble, though they still were eliminated in the first round.

Are the Jazz willing to increase their payroll with pretty much the same roster, meaning extending Rudi with at least a max contract on top of the max contract they just signed Mitchell to as well as a big contract to Clarkson if the results are the same as the past 2-3 years?

On another note, imagine if Hayward stayed and the Jazz added Mitchell as well. They might have at least been able to reach the WCF by now.

But they'd have had to extend Mitchell this opast offseason and possibly Hayward as well (if he signed the same type of contract he signed with Boston). Then they'd be looking at a Super Max extension for Rudi the next offseason.

People keep saying this, but they didnt have Bojan!!!! And almost swept a team that made the WCF if they won the Game 1 OT game

Here's a good question: Would you rather have Bojan or Hayword now? Who's better? Contracts considered, I'd take Bojan!!!
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,297

Post#90 » by sip » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:22 pm

devilsadvocate9 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

People keep saying this, but they didnt have Bojan!!!! And almost swept a team that made the WCF if they won the Game 1 OT game

Here's a good question: Would you rather have Bojan or Hayword now? Who's better? Contracts considered, I'd take Bojan!!!
Bojan is great but a healthy Hayward is a much better player. He is on another tier defensively as well as a playmaker. Then of course if you are talking about the version of Hayward that we last saw in a jazz uniform then it isn't even close. Put that Hayward on last years jazz team and we might be looking at a banner. That is how highly I view the Mitchell/Hayward combo.

Also as far as that Nuggets series goes yes we were missing Bojan but they were missing Harris the first 5 games and Barton the entire series.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#91 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:52 pm

I am not that worried yet about Gobert's contract. The Jazz were never giving the supermax. They have to let that timeline play out so they can get to the real deal. Once the supermax is no longer on the table Rudy's camp will push for the largest max the Jazz can pay, they Jazz will push back with a max that's more than other teams can pay with incentives in the contract. Rudy will sign that contract.

The team is literally built around him, not many other teams would pay what we would for Rudy, and we just signed Donovan to a max and have a great team of guys around Rudy. There are very few places Rudy could go to that even make sense.

If he won't sign the max then you trade him. But I would bet 100 dollars he signs some form of a max contract before too long. My guess is it will be a 4 year 120 million dollar contract with incentives that can get him a few extra million for defensive player of the year, a championship, and and other metrics.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#92 » by dautjazz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:19 pm

I mean in the end of the day there are maybe like two guys who are truly unavailable, Giannis and Doncic, every other team would probably pull the trigger on trading their best player for one of these guys. MAYBE the Lakers wouldn't part with Lebron because of the revenue he brings in while he's around, but I wouldn't be surprised if LA traded Lebron for Doncic, but I would be surprised that the Mavs pulled the trigger on that offer.

In terms of centers, it's probably have to be AD for the Jazz, but AD would probably force a trade, but yeah I'd probably be ok with Gobert for another player on my top 10:

Lebron
Giannis
Doncic
AD
Leonard
Harden
Curry
Jokic
Lillard
Durant (if he's like 80% of the player he was before injury)
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#93 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:37 am

sip wrote:
devilsadvocate9 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Bojan is great but a healthy Hayward is a much better player. He is on another tier defensively as well as a playmaker. Then of course if you are talking about the version of Hayward that we last saw in a jazz uniform then it isn't even close. Put that Hayward on last years jazz team and we might be looking at a banner. That is how highly I view the Mitchell/Hayward combo.

Also as far as that Nuggets series goes yes we were missing Bojan but they were missing Harris the first 5 games and Barton the entire series.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
I'd take Boogie every day shooting the clutch shot! Chokeward didn't cut it.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Post#94 » by babyjax13 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:57 am

Slam and some other sources (none really good) indicating that Rudy is holding out for the supermax. Hopefully that is not accurate.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Hikari
Starter
And1: 255

Post#95 » by Hikari » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:45 am

Read on Twitter
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#96 » by AingesBurner » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:53 am

Hikari wrote:
Read on Twitter

Damn that’s a lot of cheddar, hopefully 20-25% is Performance based.
Ingles is cooked.
Hikari
Starter
And1: 255

Post#97 » by Hikari » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:18 am

Read on Twitter

197 mil is evaluation of league value for Rudy. 200 mil would be at Utah price.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#98 » by Catchall » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:00 am

It's sounding like Rudy is going to get Paul George-type money. PG13 signed for 5 years @ $190M.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#99 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:22 am

Do the Jazz stay under the cap with Rudy and Mitchell’s extensions kicking in?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#100 » by KqWIN » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:57 am

Only reporting on the situation so far is a random Pacers blogger and a Utah Utes talk show host. Take a second to think about where you’re getting your info from people.

Return to Utah Jazz