ImageImageImage

preseason opportunities

Moderator: ijspeelman

of these pick ups fighting for spots who do look forward to seeing the most in preseason

Stevens
6%
Maker
38%
Matthews
6%
Dotson
No votes
Bolden
13%
Mooney
No votes
Randolph
No votes
only interested in Okoro Windler etc
19%
other aka current core players only
13%
wade and anyone else I didnt list
6%

Total votes: 16

LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Re: preseason opportunities 

Post#101 » by LivingLegend » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:10 am

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:I love how this thread is 4 pages of debating Garland and Sextons impact lol
I'm legit trying to make it about anything else, but it's Kyrie v. Dion all over again except I'm not convinced Sexton or Garland are as good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

Neither am I but that's besides the point.

Let's talk about this then. How on earth did the Cavs just dedicate 4 preseason games to showcase the Canton Charge starting lineup. Why? A team that is coming off of what seems like a 15 month break basically treated the preseason games like nothing.

Kevin Love for 1 quarter in 4 games? Drummond out entire games? McGee for only 1 half? Like what are we doing?

This team needs all of the cohesion and practice it can get and they basically punted the entire preseason. Now we get to go into the RS with no practice together and the first 15 games are going to be sloppy as hell.

That was frustrating.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#102 » by Stillwater » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:15 am

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:I love how this thread is 4 pages of debating Garland and Sextons impact lol
I'm legit trying to make it about anything else, but it's Kyrie v. Dion all over again except I'm not convinced Sexton or Garland are as good.

Let's talk about this then. How on earth did the Cavs just dedicate 4 preseason games to showcase the Canton Charge starting lineup. Why? A team that is coming off of what seems like a 15 month break basically treated the preseason games like nothing.

Kevin Love for 1 quarter in 4 games? Drummond out entire games? McGee for only 1 half? Like what are we doing?

This team needs all of the cohesion and practice it can get and they basically punted the entire preseason. Now we get to go into the RS with no practice together and the first 15 games are going to be sloppy as hell.

That was frustrating.

Ny esp knox hitting 90% from 3 was an anomaly and sexton going 2 for 10 was as well on the opposite end of it. JM was on minutes restrictions i think as well as cedi and sexton plus they needed to give matthews a minute in there.
U have to think Maker Mooney and Randolf are on the block and Wade solidified himself into the 15.
Matthews was probably never getting much run here but that j is $.
I would have kept tucker on a flier over mooney or randolf who knows where he us now.
I see admiral schofield was just waived id take a look st him if i was Altman. 3/d high iq etc
It was always destined to fail if they rolled with garland and sexton together and will ve difficult to watch if it continues
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,983

Post#103 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:11 am

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

That was frustrating.
I mean every team is doing that because roster spots are at stake. Plus, Covid scrambled everything and there were a couple of injuries.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#104 » by JonFromVA » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I'm legit trying to make it about anything else, but it's Kyrie v. Dion all over again except I'm not convinced Sexton or Garland are as good.

That was frustrating.
I mean every team is doing that because roster spots are at stake. Plus, Covid scrambled everything and there were a couple of injuries.

So what'd we learn? Maybe keep Wade or Bolton, send everyone else to Canton, and go find a viable backup PG that isn't injury prone?

A 30-win team probably shouldn't be running preseason like they just went to the finals....

But hey, at least Cedi looks ready to ball.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#105 » by gflem » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:01 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

That was frustrating.

So what'd we learn? Maybe keep Wade or Bolton, send everyone else to Canton, and go find a viable backup PG that isn't injury prone?

A 30-win team probably shouldn't be running preseason like they just went to the finals....

Yeah, Bolden should be on the roster over McGee imo. I have never really been on the Dean Wade bandwagon but whatever, the last couple of roster spots usually don't matter anyway. the team is probably looking around at some players who were waived so there could be an addition coming from that. But to be honest the starters (minus Sexton) looked better than I expected in the very limited minutes they got in the first two preseason games.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#106 » by JonFromVA » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:19 pm

gflem wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I mean every team is doing that because roster spots are at stake. Plus, Covid scrambled everything and there were a couple of injuries.

Yeah, Bolden should be on the roster over McGee imo. I have never really been on the Dean Wade bandwagon but whatever, the last couple of roster spots usually don't matter anyway. the team is probably looking around at some players who were waived so there could be an addition coming from that. But to be honest the starters (minus Sexton) looked better than I expected in the very limited minutes they got in the first two preseason games.

Kevin played all of 14 minutes before getting hurt, and I guess he's actually hurt if they're talking about holding him out of the opener.

Wade shot the 3-ball well and we can always use floor spacers if we can figure out how to actually space the floor.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#107 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:40 pm

gflem wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I mean every team is doing that because roster spots are at stake. Plus, Covid scrambled everything and there were a couple of injuries.

Dotson looked okay, but I really don't think any of the back bench guys stepped up and made it difficult on the coaches in terms of a potential diamond in the rough.

Small sample size but I think if the Cavs should've signed Noel, or Henson for even less, rather than traded for McGee. Bolden is a third stringer.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#108 » by LivingLegend » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:44 am

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I'm legit trying to make it about anything else, but it's Kyrie v. Dion all over again except I'm not convinced Sexton or Garland are as good.

That was frustrating.

Screw a roster spot lol The Cavs have enough problems with their starting rotation let alone dedicating entire practice games to finding out who they want as their 13th-15th men on the bench
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#109 » by LivingLegend » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:45 am

JonFromVA wrote:
gflem wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Kevin played all of 14 minutes before getting hurt, and I guess he's actually hurt if they're talking about holding him out of the opener.

Wade shot the 3-ball well and we can always use floor spacers if we can figure out how to actually space the floor.

Wasn't Wade really really good in college before suffering a injury? It's not surprising to see him actually playing well.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#110 » by JonFromVA » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:56 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
gflem wrote:

Wasn't Wade really really good in college before suffering a injury? It's not surprising to see him actually playing well.

Yes, there's some talent/upside there that was worth exploring given he went undrafted.

His 3pt shooting is legit, and he's not allergic to playing defense/rebounding.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#111 » by Stillwater » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:41 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Yes, there's some talent/upside there that was worth exploring given he went undrafted.

His 3pt shooting is legit, and he's not allergic to playing defense/rebounding.

The way I saw it was he was always viewed as a high level role player after the first to seasons in college and of course the older he got and the more injuries he had the farther his stock dropped...but the game when healthy is pretty solid overall.
Kind of surprised a win now org didnt pick him up first.
Pelle was picked up on a ten day to get him in Canton. Could be an interesting development rim protector esp if they are not willing to wait for Maker to catch on to the new system
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by jbk1234 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:30 am

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

That was frustrating.

Screw a roster spot lol The Cavs have enough problems with their starting rotation let alone dedicating entire practice games to finding out who they want as their 13th-15th men on the bench

I mean 72 games is a lot of time to figure things. Unless we have a really good second half of the season, I don't think the playoffs are in the cards. I suspect the Cavs may treat the first 20 games or so of this season like preseason. It would not shock me if we only won 5-8 games in those first 20 until they settle into a starting lineup that works. It's pretty hard for a rebuilding team to do that in the preseason anyway because no one else is really playing their regular season starters either. You don't know how much of what you're seeing is going to hold up. Knicks fans are ready to crown Quigley ROY after beating some G League rotations.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#113 » by JonFromVA » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:46 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

I mean 72 games is a lot of time to figure things. Unless we have a really good second half of the season, I don't think the playoffs are in the cards. I suspect the Cavs may treat the first 20 games or so of this season like preseason. It would not shock me if we only won 5-8 games in those first 20 until they settle into a starting lineup that works. It's pretty hard for a rebuilding team to do that in the preseason anyway because no one else is really playing their regular season starters either. You don't know how much of what you're seeing is going to hold up. Knicks fans are ready to crown Quigley ROY after beating some G League rotations.

We can only do so much with the short pre-season and 4 games, but it was a chance to get a jump on other teams that will be "load managing" their players and playing a lot of mishmash lineups. Maybe this is the year we finally move out the players who would rather get their coach fired than work hard in pre-season?

You're right we do have very basic things to do like sort out our rotations and figure out what works best, but there's still the matter of what's the ceiling on that? On paper some lineups compliment each other better, but until we see it on the floor ... who knows?

I can usually go through our 5-man units from the previous season and at least make some predictions, but there's not much data there and players have changed. For instance, for those who'd like to see Garland sent to the bench, Sexton-Dellavedova-Osman-Love-Thompson was a decent lineup - but Thompson is gone, and it's unclear if Delly is healthy/can be more than an extra coach.

So, given the roster as it is, who can step in and fill the same role in that lineup? Potentially Drummond and Exum, but the data from last season indicates that individually swapping Exum for Delly and Drummond for Thompson was not effective. So, tbd...
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by jbk1234 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:57 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

We can only do so much with the short pre-season and 4 games, but it was a chance to get a jump on other teams that will be "load managing" their players and playing a lot of mishmash lineups. Maybe this is the year we finally move out the players who would rather get their coach fired than work hard in pre-season?

You're right we do have very basic things to do like sort out our rotations and figure out what works best, but there's still the matter of what's the ceiling on that? On paper some lineups compliment each other better, but until we see it on the floor ... who knows?

I can usually go through our 5-man units from the previous season and at least make some predictions, but there's not much data there and players have changed. For instance, for those who'd like to see Garland sent to the bench, Sexton-Dellavedova-Osman-Love-Thompson was a decent lineup - but Thompson is gone, and it's unclear if Delly is healthy/can be more than an extra coach.

So, given the roster as it is, who can step in and fill the same role in that lineup? Potentially Drummond and Exum, but the data from last season indicates that individually swapping Exum for Delly and Drummond for Thompson was not effective. So, tbd...

I do feel better coming out of this preseason than I did last year when the Celtics third string back court was roasting our starters.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#115 » by Stillwater » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:56 pm

finally the real season can begin again... the preseason basically only confirmed for me absolutely nothing can be determined in such a small sample other than that players like Maker and Darius need to be part of a well running system and not asked to improv or play outside themselves.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers