Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

erasmusmrr
Sophomore
And1: 26

Re: Gobert Available? 

Post#101 » by erasmusmrr » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:12 pm

Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert has agreed to a five-year, $205M extension,
@ESPN_MacMahon
reports. Jazz’s two cornerstones — Gobert and Donovan Mitchell — are now under contract on long term deals.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#102 » by red4hf » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:27 pm

Good for Gobert, and good for the Jazz...... No info if any of the money is based on achievements.......
vtime
Rookie
And1: 245

Post#103 » by vtime » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Bad contract but I’m okay with it because Utah isn’t typically a a free agent destination and he is an All Star and because the team should be I. Playoff contention most of the contract because of Mitchell’s extension. Maybe they can move Conley’s expiring for a disgruntled player on a bloated contract
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 198

Post#104 » by @ndrew » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:59 am

I don't understand the hate for Rudy. Next year, media and fans will take another scapegoat whom going to take big market. But such a lack understanding for the game is sad. It's quite obvious people don't watch Utah Basketball or don't understand basketball at all.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#105 » by zero24gravity » Tue Jan 5, 2021 11:02 pm

@ndrew wrote:I don't understand the hate for Rudy. Next year, media and fans will take another scapegoat whom going to take big market. But such a lack understanding for the game is sad. It's quite obvious people don't watch Utah Basketball or don't understand basketball at all.

Right!?!?! This is likely UNDER market value for him. Impact, impact, impact... those things are well beyond the simple box-score states (which are still pretty damn good).
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#106 » by sip » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:48 am

zero24gravity wrote:
@ndrew wrote:I don't understand the hate for Rudy. Next year, media and fans will take another scapegoat whom going to take big market. But such a lack understanding for the game is sad. It's quite obvious people don't watch Utah Basketball or don't understand basketball at all.

Right!?!?! This is likely UNDER market value for him. Impact, impact, impact... those things are well beyond the simple box-score states (which are still pretty damn good).
No it is not under market value. You can say impact all you want and Rudy clearly has a positive impact but he doesn't have a superstar impact. Especially in the playoffs and he is now being paid like a top 5 player in the league and we all know he isn't that. There isn't a single person on this board that wouldn't trade Rudy in a second for guys like Luka, Giannis, KD, Curry, AD, LeBron, Kawhi, Harden, Lillard, Jokic, Embiid and Tatum. Then you have a few other guys that are maybe's like Trae Young, Beal, Butler, Bam, Towns and Sabonis.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
@ndrew
Analyst

Post#107 » by @ndrew » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:02 am

I wouldn't trade him Tatum and the list that started from T. Young.
He is overpaid today (Maybe), but his contract will be treated totally different in 2 years with new extensions.
sip
Rookie

Post#108 » by sip » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:38 am

@ndrew wrote:I wouldn't trade him Tatum and the list that started from T. Young.
He is overpaid today (Maybe), but his contract will be treated totally different in 2 years with new extensions.
In 2 years it will likely be viewed even worse. You will have a 30 year old center with 4 years and over 160 million left on his contract.

vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#109 » by vryadli » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:53 am

sip wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

No it is not under market value. You can say impact all you want and Rudy clearly has a positive impact but he doesn't have a superstar impact. Especially in the playoffs and he is now being paid like a top 5 player in the league and we all know he isn't that. There isn't a single person on this board that wouldn't trade Rudy in a second for guys like Luka, Giannis, KD, Curry, AD, LeBron, Kawhi, Harden, Lillard, Jokic, Embiid and Tatum. Then you have a few other guys that are maybe's like Trae Young, Beal, Butler, Bam, Towns and Sabonis.

Others
I wouldn't trade him for Harden, Lillard, Jokic, Embiid and Tatum. At least if we want wins, not superstats.
Curry, Giannis, LeBron, Donicic - yes.
Others are a wash.

And Harden with his current "impact" is pretty impressive. It is pity though that great winner Westbrook didn't get even a honorable mention this year in the lists of Gobert superior.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#110 » by zero24gravity » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:15 am

sip wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Disagree. Advanced metrics disagree, as well. (winshare top5, D-winshare top3, O-winshare top5, 12th D+/- ... and in 2019-20 those were even higher..... just for example) His impact is ELITE, and that's not just homer-eye test.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#111 » by Rauxcee » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:09 am

sip wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Actually, I wouldn't trade him for those guys. He's better than some of those you listed, and the others don't make us any better than we are now for the same absurd contract.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#112 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:17 am

Opponents would score 150pts on a nightly basis against Jazz if they didn't have Gobert.
sip
Rookie

Post#113 » by sip » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:14 am

You guys are crazy if you wouldn't trade Gobert for guys like Jokic, Tatum, Embiid and a few of those other guys. Gobert is a complimentary piece that will be paid superstar money.

Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Post#114 » by Charlie_S » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:03 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Opponents would score 150pts on a nightly basis against Jazz if they didn't have Gobert.

100% true. Folks like to rag on Rudy for being one-dimensional but most of the other players on the roster are sub-par defenders right now, especially in the starting lineup. I get being critical about Gobert's extension but I'm getting a bit tired of this narrative - Donovan hasn't been a decent defender pretty much since his rookie season despite having elite physical traits to be great on that end, is he ever going to catch any flak for that?
sip
Rookie

Post#115 » by sip » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:34 pm

Charlie_S wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Opponents would score 150pts on a nightly basis against Jazz if they didn't have Gobert.

100% true. Folks like to rag on Rudy for being one-dimensional but most of the other players on the roster are sub-par defenders right now, especially in the starting lineup. I get being critical about Gobert's extension but I'm getting a bit tired of this narrative - Donovan hasn't been a decent defender pretty much since his rookie season despite having elite physical traits to be great on that end, is he ever going to catch any flak for that?
What board have you been on. We are extremely critical of Mitchell and all of our other perimeter defenders besides Royce who in my opinion is only a solid defender rather than a great defender that some believe. This is a flawed roster and I don't see anything changing anytime soon. We will win just enough to keep our front office employed which in turn will lead to the lack of creative roster moves that we have seen for years.

@ndrew
Analyst

Post#116 » by @ndrew » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:21 am

The one thing that Gobert can and have to improve is his offensive rebounding. Maybe he is limited by defensive scheme to run back ASAP, but player of his size should get more OffR

Return to Utah Jazz