Rudy Gobert, Jazz Agree To Five-Year, $205M Extension

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Rudy Gobert, Jazz Agree To Five-Year, $205M Extension 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:35 pm

The Utah Jazz and Rudy Gobert have agreed to a five-year, $205 million extension.

"It means that they believe in me," Gobert told ESPN. "They believe in what we've been building over the years with this whole organization, with Coach [Quin Snyder] and all the guys. For me, it's an incredible blessing. It's a very motivating feeling to know that we all share the same vision and we all share this goal for this state and for this franchise."

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Re: Rudy Gobert, Jazz Agree To Five-Year, $205M Extension 

Post#2 » by TNJazz » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:42 pm

Awesome! Getting both Rudy and Donovan signed to extensions is great for this franchise! Super strong foundations to build around. They have already made some quality moves recently and now that this is done, they can move to the next step of winning a championship!
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#3 » by luss54321 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:18 pm

TNJazz wrote:Awesome! Getting both Rudy and Donovan signed to extensions is great for this franchise! Super strong foundations to build around. They have already made some quality moves recently and now that this is done, they can move to the next step of winning a championship!

But can you really win a championship with Rudy Gobert as your second best player?
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#4 » by nedleeds » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:18 pm

Lol the crown jewel of terrible contracts. He'll turn 29 this season and hasn't made a jump shot in 7 years. $41 million for a 34 year old center who can't shoot, post up or pass.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#5 » by nedleeds » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:18 pm

luss54321 wrote:
TNJazz wrote:Awesome! Getting both Rudy and Donovan signed to extensions is great for this franchise! Super strong foundations to build around. They have already made some quality moves recently and now that this is done, they can move to the next step of winning a championship!

But can you really win a championship with Rudy Gobert as your second best player?

Taking up 30% of your cap.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#6 » by dan-man » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:42 pm

Two questions - what are you smoking and can I have some?
rrdjutriurt
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Post#7 » by rrdjutriurt » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:23 pm

That's just insane money for someone who doesn't really make you a championship contender. Claiming he left money on the table is just as crazy.
NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - BLAKE GRIFFIN
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#8 » by PDXKnight » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:10 pm

Such a nice guy, he only signed for 200 mil. :roll:

I think Rudy is incredibly talented and huge on the defensive end. I think if you’re utah it’s a move you likely have to make to keep the talent you have but I could also see this contract looking bad real fast. For as good as Rudy is on defense he’s also 2 years from 30 so his athletic decline is near. Additionally he isn’t a dynamic offensive player and paying near the max for a guy who isn’t gonna be your second option is a risky use of a huge amount of the cap. But then again in Utah’s shoes (they aren’t a big FA destination) probably the sensible move here to retain him
ace198
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#9 » by ace198 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:13 pm

A lot of good but not that good getting crazy amounts of money. Only players that should be getting 30+ million are tier 1 players.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#10 » by PDXKnight » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:15 pm

luss54321 wrote:

Nope not at all. But then could Utah have made better use of that money given how tough of a fa destination they’ve been?
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#11 » by PDXKnight » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:18 pm

ace198 wrote:A lot of good but not that good getting crazy amounts of money. Only players that should be getting 30+ million are tier 1 players.

I’m 50/50 here. In Utah’s shoes it’s a move you almost have to make because no one wants to come there In free agency unless they’ve got a legit shot at a championship.

That being said I’d agree it’s a massive overpay and it’s insane he’s making almost the same as the likes of Damian Lillard, James harden, lebron James, etc for 1/2 or 1/3 of the offensive production. In fact you could even make a case for him being a liability on some respects on offense due to having a limited game
Salty1
Senior
And1: 81

Post#12 » by Salty1 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:15 pm

OMG I THOUGHT HE WOULD GET 5/120 WOOOOW! worst contract in nba history right here!
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#13 » by Neeva » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:57 pm

Yikes
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#14 » by Jedzz » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:16 pm

Yeah they respect him. But they will have a harder time keeping a team around him. More losing can happen. Not sure players ever quite get this. 20 million a year just isn't enough to survive on and feel respected.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,911

Post#15 » by grumpysaddle » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:37 pm

Jedzz wrote:Yeah they respect him. But they will have a harder time keeping a team around him. More losing can happen. Not sure players ever quite get this. 20 million a year just isn't enough to survive on and feel respected.

If someone offers you $40 mil a year, you **** take it and don't look back. Especially if you're not a name like... Lebron James who can make significantly more in sponsorship and partnering deals.
NBA Moses
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#16 » by NBA Moses » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:05 pm

Mediocre player signs for $205 M and pats himself on the back for not asking for more. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Something is drastically wrong when this guy makes $205 M. They need to reappropriate the money trail. Lower tix prices,concessions,parking,cable bills,sportswear etc and pay this guy like 1/10th of what he just got.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#17 » by Jedzz » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:14 pm

grumpysaddle wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Yeah they respect him. But they will have a harder time keeping a team around him. More losing can happen. Not sure players ever quite get this. 20 million a year just isn't enough to survive on and feel respected.

If someone offers you $40 mil a year, you **** take it and don't look back. Especially if you're not a name like... Lebron James who can make significantly more in sponsorship and partnering deals.

Idk man. Absolutely if the money is all you care about. I'm less absolute if winning championships is a major goal in your career.

Why do some players take a small one or two year deal to sign on with a Championship worthy team and risk all when they could sign a 200 milion 5 year deal for a team that will not be winning that year? Didn't Durant do this and pay a price? But he's no longer a player that's never won.
NBA Moses
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#18 » by NBA Moses » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:18 pm

NBA receiving too much money from TV Networks.

Tv Networks charging businesses way too much money to advertise.

Businesses have to jack up the prices of their products to recoup their advertising. This is bleeped up. Im paying $30 for a case beer that should be $15 just so the Utah jazz can give Rudy Gobert $205 M .
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,911

Post#19 » by grumpysaddle » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:45 pm

Jedzz wrote:
grumpysaddle wrote:

Idk man. Absolutely if the money is all you care about. I'm less absolute if winning championships is a major goal in your career.

Why do some players take a small one or two year deal to sign on with a Championship worthy team and risk all when they could sign a 200 milion 5 year deal for a team that will not be winning that year? Didn't Durant do this and pay a price? But he's no longer a player that's never won.

Durant is Durant. He knew he'd make the money he gave up back. If a player like Gobert gives that money up, he's probably not getting another chance to make it. People can say all they want that players should give up 10s of millions of dollars, but if you're in that position yourself, you take the money and run.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#20 » by TimeisIllmatic » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:48 pm

Yeahhhhh, Utah will definitely regret this one down the line. It'll be fine for now but long term I don't see it looking too good. This is how teams become treadmill teams because of moves like this.

Return to Wiretap Discussion