ImageImage

Re-Signed: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread (3yrs/$48m)

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Re: 3J Swishington: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread 

Post#301 » by yosemiteben » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:58 pm

Love that message being sent by JB, but some major assumptions being made. I highly doubt this means PJ is coming off the bench when the season starts. If that is what he meant, he would have said it.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#302 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:03 pm

Someone please tell me what PJ brings to the starting lineup that Miles doesn't?
It has been written...
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#303 » by Braggins » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:07 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Someone please tell me what PJ brings to the starting lineup that Miles doesn't?

Hes longer. He was a better defender last year than Miles has been thus far in his career. He was a better outside shooter last year than Miles has been in any season. His IQ seems a bit better.

Obviously, none of that has been the case this preseason and if he continues to play terrible and not be in shape then he'll likely lose his spot eventually, but we are still just talking about four preseason games after a year layoff so I think its premature to assume the PJ we saw in these last few games is the PJ we will see going forward.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#304 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:14 pm

Braggins wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Someone please tell me what PJ brings to the starting lineup that Miles doesn't?

Hes longer. He was a better defender last year than Miles has been thus far in his career. He was a better outside shooter last year than Miles has been in any season. His IQ seems a bit better.

Obviously, none of that has been the case this preseason and if he continues to play terrible and not be in shape then he'll likely lose his spot eventually, but we are still just talking about four preseason games after a year layoff so I think its premature to assume the PJ we saw in these last few games is the PJ we will see going forward.

Grain of salt with last year's comparisons especially defensively. Miles most often guarded opposing wings (thus Hayward) and often received the assignment of guarding the best player. This year they're competing for minutes at the 4.

Miles is the better foul shooter and if his dedication to improvement translates to shooting threes then Miles can erase that gap. Miles is also quicker laterally so he should be able to stay in front of most 4's, that erases his disadvantage with length. Miles has better instincts for rebounding as well, erasing his disadvantage with length.

If preseason doesn't matter due to small sample then why would the coach declare minutes will have to be earned?
It has been written...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#305 » by fatlever » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:16 pm

keep miles on 2nd unit. he might be only reliable scoring option on bench, which is needed.

close games with miles if he keeps it up.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#306 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:21 pm

fatlever wrote:keep miles on 2nd unit. he might be only reliable scoring option on bench, which is needed.

Washington needs to become a more reliable scoring option for the bench. He should play up vs. second units.
It has been written...
CatgutStitches
Junior
And1: 262

Post#307 » by CatgutStitches » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:23 pm

fatlever wrote:keep miles on 2nd unit. he might be only reliable scoring option on bench, which is needed.

This. If he continues playing well give him all the minutes you can, but I think he works better with the 2nd unit. I also like versatility off the bench and Miles is more versatile than PJ.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#308 » by yosemiteben » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:29 pm

I just have an issue of using 4 preseason games with the same starting lineup, then changing the starting lineup for the season opener. Either recognize the issue and address it in preseason, or see how things progress in the regular season, but seems foolish to make a change now.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#309 » by Braggins » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:37 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Braggins wrote:

Grain of salt with last year's comparisons especially defensively. Miles most often guarded opposing wings (thus Hayward) and often received the assignment of guarding the best player. This year they're competing for minutes at the 4.

Miles is the better foul shooter and if his dedication to improvement translates to shooting threes then Miles can erase that gap. Miles is also quicker laterally so he should be able to stay in front of most 4's, that erases his disadvantage with length. Miles has better instincts for rebounding as well, erasing his disadvantage with length.

If preseason doesn't matter due to small sample then why would the coach declare minutes will have to be earned?

Miles and PJ had virtually the same rebound% last year despite PJ having a year less experience and being nearly a year younger, so I'm not ready to say Miles is a better rebounder.

PJ's lateral quickness was still good for a PF when he was in shape and his length advantage is more important for a starting PF than Miles quickness advantage. Being quicker doesn't really make up for lack of length for a PF, either, as those traits aren't really that related in terms of their defensive utility/purpose. You could put Kemba at PF and him being the quickest PF ever wouldn't offset him being 6' tall.

If you just look at a tiny preseason sample where Miles has looked better than he has at any point in his career and PJ has been out of shape and looked terrible, then of course Miles seems like the much better player at the moment, but its too early to tell imo.

I don't actually mind if Miles were named the starter. I like him as a player, he seems to have improved, and you could definitely say he has earned the spot and PJ so far looks like hes blowing it this year, but If they both play up to their potential then PJ is the better fit as a starting PF for this team imo. I also think Miles is a better fit on the bench unit that needs someone other than Monk who can attack and get buckets, but that would admittedly be a lower priority than fixing the starting PF issue if PJ continues to suck.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#310 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:40 pm

I don't like splitting Ball and Miles. But I think right now Ball is first off bench, for either Rozier or Devonte'. And if PJ is still learning small ball 5 he should be doing it vs. bench players, not with the starters. I highly doubt they want to scrap the plan after just 4 preseason games and after PJ played 2 weeks of scrimmages in the bubble at the 5 exclusively, winning praise from the GM who said it looked like PJ was sprinkled with gold dust over the off-season. Maybe Kupchak meant gold rust?

I would be very disappointed in JB if he doesn't reward Miles after raving about how proud he is of Miles improvements across the board. Like PJ, Miles was asked to learn a new position. It fits him naturally and plays to his strengths but this is a competition for minutes at the 4. Miles is winning it. PJ has to get better at the 5 to keep his minutes. McDaniels made a leap as well, added 20 pounds and looks very versatile on both ends.
It has been written...
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#311 » by BigSlam » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:41 pm

fatlever wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

JB not messing around

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

PJ McMay!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
Braggins
RealGM

Post#312 » by Braggins » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:44 pm

I mean, PJ was literally the worst regular player on the team during the preseason. If we are just reacting to preseason he shouldn't even be in the lineup at all on opening day and McDaniels should be rewarded with the backup PF minutes opened up by moving Miles to the starting lineup.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#313 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:49 pm

Braggins wrote:I mean, PJ was literally the worst regular player on the team during the preseason. If we are just reacting to preseason he shouldn't even be in the lineup at all on opening day and McDaniels should be rewarded with the backup PF minutes opened up by moving Miles to the starting lineup.

We are building off last season. The development plan was for Miles and PJ to learn a new position with Miles going from 3 to 4 and PJ dabbling in 5. Hayward eliminated the 3 for Miles. When he was injured, Cody Martin got those minutes. Going back to last year JB has said multiple times Miles is a better weapon at the 4 and that's his natural position. It's also PJ's natural position. So they're competing for minutes at the 4. How could they make a comparison without at least some reliance on camp and preseason? Miles looked great at the 4 last year so preseason is an extension to his body of work there last year. It's no surprise Miles looks great there because the sample size includes last year.
It has been written...
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#314 » by DY_nasty » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:44 am

MasterIchiro wrote:
fatlever wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

JB not messing around

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

Sounds like JB already informed Miles he's the starter at the 4. Totally unexpected! Seems both players had polar opposite off-seasons. Miles is in the best shape of his life and adapted to the pace and space system, becoming more of a playmaker and PJ just seems totally out of shape and out of place.

lol

this is rich considering miles is a preseason and summer league all-star. is it possible we actually get to the season before writing speculative fiction?

being out of shape may be on PJ, but playing him as a stretch 5 is still on JB as well
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#315 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:49 am

I had wondered how much of his struggles were due to conditioning. Now I think we know.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#316 » by JMAC3 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:36 pm

We need to stop worrying who is starting so much, it is smarter to space out scoring between starters and bench units. If Miles is playing better than PJ then he will be closing games which is really most important thing.

I really see our starters as DG, Terry, Gordo, PJ and Zeller with Ball, Monk, One of Martins, Miles and Biz as the main backups.

We will probably be 9-10 deep most nights so McDaniels and Other Martin Twin will be left out in cold it sounds like until Injuries/Covid force our hand.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,398

Post#317 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:37 pm

It's a crappy way to start the season but I hope he rounds into form. He was playing like a vet last year, I don't see any reason he can't build on that if he locks in properly.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#318 » by DY_nasty » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:40 pm

what is wrong with this man
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#319 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:27 pm

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2021_advanced.html#advanced_stats::blk_pct

PJ ranks 7th in the league in block% (percentage of 2 point shot attempts he blocks while on the floor). Also ranks 11th in the league in total blocks. RIM PROTECTOR PJ
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#320 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:35 pm

I don't understand why PJ is so good at blocking shots, he doesn't have great size or wingspan, but damn dude has good instincts.

Return to Charlotte Hornets