Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA: 2020-21 Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

ChicagoStrong
General Manager
And1: 2,345

Around the NBA: 2020-21 Season 

Post#1 » by ChicagoStrong » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:25 pm

Here's to a new season.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Around The NBA - 20/21 Season 

Post#2 » by DASMACKDOWN » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:45 pm

Lets GOOOOOOOOO!!!!
The Cult of Personality
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Re: Around The NBA - 20/21 Season 

Post#3 » by Pax for Prez » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:51 pm

Read on Twitter
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#4 » by DASMACKDOWN » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:57 pm

Wow it still feels like these guys are getting really overpaid. But the market says they arent.

I mean seriously these contracts are basically saying someone like Hutchinson is worth at least 13 mil to a franchise. I dont know if I agree with that but the data says thats what its worth
The Cult of Personality
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Re: Around the NBA: 2020-21 Season 

Post#5 » by Pax for Prez » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:09 pm

Read on Twitter
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#6 » by DASMACKDOWN » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:10 pm

whaaaaat
Read on Twitter
The Cult of Personality
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#7 » by Leslie Forman » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:24 pm

Let's be real here, the Spurs over the last 25 years have really only ever done three things of consequence that weren't complete layups – draft Manu, Tony, and Kawhi.

Without those three (and some guy from the Virgin Islands of course), they are just another nothing franchise that doesn't tank and drafts decently.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,064

Post#8 » by MrSparkle » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:54 pm

Well, the NBA star's are mostly grid-locked atleast another year; the inevitable Harden trade ought to wrap things up...

... until the next round of finger-pointing, injuries and playoff disappointments. Thing is, only 1 team wins the chip, and expectations are high for the star-hoarders 3 (LAL, LAC, BRK), not to mention the big-budget contenders (PHI, MIL, MIA)... and a slew of other superstar contenders (POR, BOS, DAL, DEN).

So I'm all for:

1. Not resigning Lauri; keeping the cap clean. Because you never know who becomes available from those 10+ good teams that were losers.

2. Internal development (primarily Williams and Coby).

3. Drafting top-14 next year.

4. Getting the scrub fest out.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#9 » by TheStig » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:58 am

Leslie Forman wrote:Let's be real here, the Spurs over the last 25 years have really only ever done three things of consequence that weren't complete layups – draft Manu, Tony, and Kawhi.

Without those three (and some guy from the Virgin Islands of course), they are just another nothing franchise that doesn't tank and drafts decently.

How many franchises have drafted 3 hall of famers with non lotto picks? Pretty big accomplishment if you ask me. That's before having one of the greatest coaches of all time or being a model small market franchise.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#10 » by TheStig » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:04 am

MrSparkle wrote:Well, the NBA star's are mostly grid-locked atleast another year; the inevitable Harden trade ought to wrap things up...

... until the next round of finger-pointing, injuries and playoff disappointments. Thing is, only 1 team wins the chip, and expectations are high for the star-hoarders 3 (LAL, LAC, BRK), not to mention the big-budget contenders (PHI, MIL, MIA)... and a slew of other superstar contenders (POR, BOS, DAL, DEN).

So I'm all for:

1. Not resigning Lauri; keeping the cap clean. Because you never know who becomes available from those 10+ good teams that were losers.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we are doing the stealth tank and will trade some guys to get additional assets.
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#11 » by cjbulls » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:19 am

TheStig wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Well, the NBA star's are mostly grid-locked atleast another year; the inevitable Harden trade ought to wrap things up...

So I'm all for:

I have a sneaking suspicion that we are doing the stealth tank and will trade some guys to get additional assets.

If that were true then he would have been traded at the draft
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,406

Post#12 » by Indomitable » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:26 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:whaaaaat
Read on Twitter

He will be their starting guard next year. He is their best young player. He is an 2 way player. Why is this shocking? He actually guarded Jamal Murray well.
:banghead:
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,521

Post#13 » by dice » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:36 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:Wow it still feels like these guys are getting really overpaid. But the market says they arent.

I mean seriously these contracts are basically saying someone like Hutchinson is worth at least 13 mil to a franchise. I dont know if I agree with that but the data says thats what its worth

what data? hutchinson has only played 1400 damn minutes in his career
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#14 » by Dresden » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:47 am

Luke Kennard got 4/64. I guess if you're anybody in the nba these days, you can expect to make at least 15 mil.
Leslie Forman
RealGM

Post#15 » by Leslie Forman » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:53 am

TheStig wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:Let's be real here, the Spurs over the last 25 years have really only ever done three things of consequence that weren't complete layups – draft Manu, Tony, and Kawhi.

How many franchises have drafted 3 hall of famers with non lotto picks? Pretty big accomplishment if you ask me. That's before having one of the greatest coaches of all time or being a model small market franchise.

Sure. But everybody talks about them as some sort of incredible, model franchise that always does the right thing. Nah. They are every bit as susceptible to making bad signings and trades as any other franchise.

Without the luck of getting two of the biggest no brainer #1 picks in history, they don't really have much of anything in terms of brilliant moves, especially recently. Guys like Parker and Ginobili aren't slipping through the cracks today like they did back then. Leonard is the one amazing move I really give them a ton of credit for. It takes balls to give up a good young player like George Hill for a middling draft pick like that.

But that's basically it for the last 19 years. Dejounte Murrays and Derrick Whites ain't gonna do squat for you. The trade with Toronto was an absolutely awful one too that they may have only done to spite the Lakers, which is just unbelievably stupid (and looks like was a blessing for the Lakers).
TheStig
RealGM

Post#16 » by TheStig » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:04 am

Leslie Forman wrote:
TheStig wrote:

Sure. But everybody talks about them as some sort of incredible, model franchise that always does the right thing. Nah. They are every bit as susceptible to making bad signings and trades as any other franchise.

Without the luck of getting two of the biggest no brainer #1 picks in history, they don't really have much of anything in terms of brilliant moves, especially recently. Guys like Parker and Ginobili aren't slipping through the cracks today like they did back then. Leonard is the one amazing move I really give them a ton of credit for. It takes balls to give up a good young player like George Hill for a middling draft pick like that.

But that's basically it for the last 19 years. Dejounte Murrays and Derrick Whites ain't gonna do squat for you. The trade with Toronto was an absolutely awful one too that they may have only done to spite the Lakers, which is just unbelievably stupid (and looks like was a blessing for the Lakers).

So 3 hall of famers and a slew of starters and role players isn't much? Sure they don't do everything perfect, no one does. But they've drafted the best out of anyone in the last 20 years considering they're mostly late 1sts.

Of course, Parker, Manu and Kawhi.
Murray was on his way preinjury.
Kyle Anderson
Corey Joseph
George Hill
Splitter
Udrich
Scola
White

Signing guys like Scola and Bowen from obscurity.

They did all this without any lotto picks. These guys were all late 20's or late 2nds. It's really impressive. Then they plucked a great 3 and D guy from nowhere. Probably the best unsigned guy outside of Ben Wallace.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,221

Post#17 » by Dan Z » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:05 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:Wow it still feels like these guys are getting really overpaid. But the market says they arent.

I thought the NBA was struggling financially due to the China stuff (Morey's tweet) and the pandemic. I guess I was wrong...?
Leslie Forman
RealGM

Post#18 » by Leslie Forman » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:15 am

TheStig wrote:So 3 hall of famers and a slew of starters and role players isn't much? Sure they don't do everything perfect, no one does. But they've drafted the best out of anyone in the last 20 years considering they're mostly late 1sts.

Of course, Parker, Manu and Kawhi.
Murray was on his way preinjury.
Kyle Anderson
Corey Joseph
George Hill
Splitter
Udrich
Scola
White

Signing guys like Scola and Bowen from obscurity.

They did all this without any lotto picks. These guys were all late 20's or late 2nds. It's really impressive. Then they plucked a great 3 and D guy from nowhere. Probably the best unsigned guy outside of Ben Wallace.

Keith Van Horn instead of Tim Duncan, and all of this results in jacksh*t.

Also, Scola (who did not come from "obscurity," he was hot property in Europe at the time but as was feared, didn't come over until ages later) literally never even played for them.

Look I ain't saying the Spurs suck or something. But all this exaltation of them as some sort of incredible, brilliant, light years ahead sort of organization is silly. They haven't done a goddamn thing of note except Kawhi in forever.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#19 » by TheStig » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:15 am

cjbulls wrote:
TheStig wrote:

So I'm all for:

I mean that's when his value was at the lowest. I think they're going to pump up his value and then possibly trade him. Depends on what they think about him long term.
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#20 » by cjbulls » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:18 am

TheStig wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
TheStig wrote:I have a sneaking suspicion that we are doing the stealth tank and will trade some guys to get additional assets.

I mean that's when his value was at the lowest. I think they're going to pump up his value and then possibly trade him. Depends on what they think about him long term.

Value is higher when there are assets to trade. There’s a reason why most deals happen in the offseason. Teams want a guy when they can work him in for a whole season, training camp, etc.

If you pump him up, that means he’s doing well and you will want to re-sign him.

Return to Chicago Bulls