ImageImageImage

Lonzo Ball, John Collins, or Lauri Markkanen?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Lonzo Ball, John Collins, or Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Would Lonzo Ball, John Collins, or Lauri Markkanen fit this team? If so, then who is preference #1, #2, and #3?

I think preference #1 for me would be John Collins, followed by Lonzo, and then Lauri.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: Lonzo Ball, John Collins, or Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#2 » by arkuo » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:21 pm

Personally, none of the 3 names mentioned.

Collins would have asked Atlanta for a contract similar to what Jonathan Isaac got. 4 years $80M. Which Atlanta was reluctant to give. I think it would require a near max to get Collins, in which case I would back off.

Lonzo Ball would come with Lavar Ball baggage. So... I don't think Cuban wants that kind of distraction around Luka right now.

Lauri is tricky. He is RFA which means you have to overpay to have a shot. But he hasn't shown anything consistent to demand more than 15M per if you ask me. Maybe he gets a contract similar to Davis Bertans? Maybe some team is willing to max him out based on potential? I dont know.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#3 » by matt6715 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:48 pm

John Collins 10 times out of 10. Already a 20 and 10 guy shooting 40% from 3, he would fit like a glove next to KP IMO. Essentially Dwight Powell if you turned all the sliders up to 100.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#4 » by HMFFL » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:03 pm

arkuo wrote:Personally, none of the 3 names mentioned.

Collins would have asked Atlanta for a contract similar to what Jonathan Isaac got. 4 years $80M. Which Atlanta was reluctant to give. I think it would require a near max to get Collins, in which case I would back off.

Lonzo Ball would come with Lavar Ball baggage. So... I don't think Cuban wants that kind of distraction around Luka right now.

Lauri is tricky. He is RFA which means you have to overpay to have a shot. But he hasn't shown anything consistent to demand more than 15M per if you ask me. Maybe he gets a contract similar to Davis Bertans? Maybe some team is willing to max him out based on potential? I dont know.
Jason Collins will expect the max.
Jonathan Issac isn't even on the same level as Jason Collins.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#5 » by JJP » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:16 pm

I'm not sure Collins expects the max, but it will be high.

Since he didn't sign an extension, he will likely enter next season as a restricted free agent. I'm not sure it will be all the difficult for the Mavs to be the highest bidder. Atlanta has no cap room to spare and few other teams do either. If the Mavs are going to go all out - this is the guy to go for.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#6 » by ejs78 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:17 pm

HMFFL wrote:

Issac is a much much better defender then John Collins.

Also not mentioned is Zach Collins.

Of all mentioned Id rank them:

John Collins
Zach Collins
Lauri
Lonzo

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#7 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:30 pm

I watch alot of Dallas, my #2 team, and I really think Lonzo Ball would be a nice fit. The Mavs need a secondary facilitator about as bad as they need more defenders. Relying on Luka to do it all is not sustainable. Ball brings positional versatility (PG / SG on offense, can guard PG/SG/SF on defense), secondary ballhandling and, despite his dad, a great character. He moves the ball quickly in the half court which really bodes well for the Mavs offense, but can run the break very well. His 3PT shot was up to 37% last season on high volume, which makes him an off ball fit next to Luka when they are together. He defends very, very well for a guard. It just seems like an interesting fit. And a guard rotation of 6'6 Ball and 6'5 Richardson is super intriguing. Both are plus defenders, shoot the 3 well enough, have plus handle and play quite unselfish. Cost will be the key, and in the end I dont think you pay both Richardson and Ball what they will demand. Given the recent spending spree, I think both come in around 18M AV next summer.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#8 » by Imon » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Agree with everyone in the thread - Collins is the only guy in the three that I would want on the team.
Given how he and the Hawks weren't able to come to an agreement though suggests he and his agent were asking for a deal that the Hawks couldn't stomach.
On the other hand, it could simply be that the Hawks are certain they are going to give Trae the rookie max extension after the end of this season and they don't want to give Collins his big payday and then have to add Trae's big extension on top of that.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#9 » by arkuo » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:08 pm

ejs78 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

John Collins
Zach Collins
Lauri
Lonzo

Good catch. I like Zach Collins for the team. Played a lot of power forward with the Blazers with Nurkic or Canter at C. Can defend and shoot the 3 which is what we actually need. Possibly would not require the max to pry out of Portland. John Collins would surely require a max.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#10 » by ejs78 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:16 pm

They also have alot in the frontcourt currently.

Nurkic
Kanter (RFA)
Giles (RFA)
Collins (RFA)
Anthony (UFA)
Covington

Giles could also be added to the list if you want another big or Blazers keep him and let Collins go.
arkuo wrote:
ejs78 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Jason Collins will expect the max.

John Collins
Zach Collins
Lauri
Lonzo

Good catch. I like Zach Collins for the team. Played a lot of power forward with the Blazers with Nurkic or Canter at C. Can defend and shoot the 3 which is what we actually need. Possibly would not require the max to pry out of Portland. John Collins would surely require a max.

Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#11 » by Apz » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:55 pm

For me its collins, lauri, lonzo. But, collins probably want a lot more then he is worth, lauri, if he is given a stomachable contract bulls will match. Really think he would fit at pf here tho and revive career, lonzo just happens to play where mavs is most stacked. If thj contnues as last season i prdfer renewing his since i think he will demand less to stay in an awesome situation, lonzo wants to get payed big.

But pretty sure someone said we can renew jrich and thj over the cap, so maybe possible to get one of them in, then renew thj and jrich, and then max out luka?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by HMFFL » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:02 pm

Lauri Markkanen must stay healthy.
Signing any of these players to longterm contracts depends if we believe they're a vital piece to winning a championship. I prefer us to not sign players just to do it. With someone like Luka we must add players that fit to achieve the goal to win a championship or else it doesn't make sense to me.

Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#13 » by Apz » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:37 am

HMFFL wrote:Lauri Markkanen must stay healthy.
Signing any of these players to longterm contracts depends if we believe they're a vital piece to winning a championship. I prefer us to not sign players just to do it. With someone like Luka we must add players that fit to achieve the goal to win a championship or else it doesn't make sense to me.

But it doesnt really matter. Luka will sign new contract so need to sign someone before that. Its "free" so to speak, its not like we get to keep the money if we dont sign someone. Better grab someone young that still got upside that can become better and if necessary use in trade later then get nothing
arkuo
General Manager

Post#14 » by arkuo » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:04 am

Frank Ntlikina and DSJ also failed to get extended past the deadline. Those two become RFA as well.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#15 » by arkuo » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:16 am

How much cash do we free up with THJ, James Johnson, and Richardson opting out?

I'd split that amount to sign Otto Porter (at his current rate of $26M), then Doug Mcdermott, and re-sign Richardson back.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#16 » by BlueSan » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:46 am

Wait the season, check the guys, go after guys you like...
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#17 » by Imon » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:29 pm

arkuo wrote:Frank Ntlikina and DSJ also failed to get extended past the deadline. Those two become RFA as well.

Does anyone seriously want DSJ back on the team?
I still kind of like him TBH, no hate here, but he's just not a good player.

I hope he gets a shot somewhere else like Fultz did - just not here.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#18 » by HMFFL » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:02 pm

Apz wrote:

But it doesnt really matter. Luka will sign new contract so need to sign someone before that. Its "free" so to speak, its not like we get to keep the money if we dont sign someone. Better grab someone young that still got upside that can become better and if necessary use in trade later then get nothing
I hope we become active before the trade deadline. I expect us to pursue some names that have expiring contracts. I just hope most of them stay healthy this season.

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#19 » by Teffer10 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:34 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Apz wrote:

I hope we become active before the trade deadline. I expect us to pursue some names that have expiring contracts. I just hope most of them stay healthy this season.

Completely agree!
Our best path to an improved roster is through trades and it makes sense.
Donnie can evaluate existing players that have a good chance to fit and then use trade assets to acquire them.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#20 » by arkuo » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:26 pm

Noticed that Atlanta played John Collins at C today so Gallinari can play PF.

If they really want to keep Collins, we can send them James Johnson for Clint Capela. Salaries match straight up. They take Capela's salary off their books, and use the savings to re-sign Collins for themselves. We get a defensive PF/C to play opposite KP.

Return to Dallas Mavericks