ImageImageImage

Cam Payne news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,632

Cam Payne news and highlights 

Post#1 » by Saberestar » Thu Aug 6, 2020 10:35 pm

This guy deserves his own thread already, what a great signing he has been so far!

He is under contract for next season. Team Option for just $2M.

He has been a pleasant surprise defensively, I thought that he was a bit of a liability out there but no way. He is crafty.

Read on Twitter
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,909

Re: Cam Payne news and highlights 

Post#2 » by Fo-Real » Fri Aug 7, 2020 2:15 pm

Obviously this dude has wowed, makes Jones and Monty look like the may know how to assess talent. Bigger, it seems like the fact that Rubio has an actual competent backup, and can get proper rest has made him more effective. HAS CAM PAYNE ELEVATED RUBIOS GAME!?!?
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,247

Post#3 » by SunsRback4Good » Fri Aug 7, 2020 4:41 pm

He's our next Elliot Perry type of player minus the high socks. His jump shot looks funky but goes in so I ain't complaining. He should get a two year contract and hoping Rubio works with him and makes him an all.around player. I could see Payne putting up 9/5/2 on 45 fg % in 20 min next season.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#4 » by Saberestar » Sun Dec 6, 2020 9:40 pm

Read on Twitter
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#5 » by RunDogGun » Mon Dec 7, 2020 6:59 pm

Sounds like Payne is the backup point in that comment.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#6 » by cberry78 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 8:29 pm

RunDogGun wrote:Sounds like Payne is the backup point in that comment.
As he should be. His performance in the bubble made it his job to lose going into this season.

Sent from my moto e5 play using RealGM mobile app
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,044

Post#7 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:23 am

Biggest question mark is still is Payne for real a legit backup PG? We have 8 bubble games playoff teams were mostly treating like preseason and 4 preseason games in which he looked good to great.

Prior to that no team even wanted him as a roster spot. He didn't even play last year except those 8 games.

Before last year's 8 games:
19-20 - not signed by any team for regular season before bubble...so out of league for about 1 1/2 years
18-19 - 40 games - Bulls cut after 31, Cavs after 9
17-18 - 25 games with Bulls
16-17 - 20 games with OKC, then cut...14th pick, traded to Bulls after 20 games in 2nd year playing.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#8 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:49 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Biggest question mark is still is Payne for real a legit backup PG? We have 8 bubble games playoff teams were mostly treating like preseason and 4 preseason games in which he looked good to great.

Prior to that no team even wanted him as a roster spot. He didn't even play last year except those 8 games.

Before last year's 8 games:
19-20 - not signed by any team for regular season before bubble...so out of league for about 1 1/2 years
18-19 - 40 games - Bulls cut after 31, Cavs after 9
17-18 - 25 games with Bulls
16-17 - 20 games with OKC, then cut...14th pick, traded to Bulls after 20 games in 2nd year playing.
Sure, but plenty of contributors have had a bumpy path before figuring it out. PJ Tucker played 17 games as a rookie then spent 5 years out of the league before catching on with Phoenix. Christian Wood was waived 7 times including the summer of 2019 and he signed a huge deal a season later.

Is he a question mark? Yeah but the path to a rotation player isn't always linear.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#9 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:44 pm

He sucks but he is the only backup PG on the roster and only player that can save us from huge negative +/- when Chris Paul is not on court.

Our next option Etwaun Moore didn't even make it past 3 pre-season games going -49 before Monty saw enough.

When Payne plays well we go 8-0 (+89 on court), when he doesn't we go 0-4 (-25 on court).

That's why I think he's our 3rd most important player.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#10 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:07 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:He sucks but he is the only backup PG on the roster and only player that can save us from huge negative +/- when Chris Paul is not on court.

Our next option Etwaun Moore didn't even make it past 3 pre-season games going -49 before Monty saw enough.

When Payne plays well we go 8-0 (+89 on court), when he doesn't we go 0-4 (-25 on court).

That's why I think he's our 3rd most important player.

Yeah, Moore did play out of position at PG in a new system with new players so did struggle, but I'm not too worried about him. He's had to work hard since coming into the league as a 2nd round pick, working his way to becoming a starter and key guy in NO until last year when they revamped their roster to go young and rebuild. He also shot over 42% from 3 in 3 of the last 5 years and has a great floater..has been a better 3 pt shooter and a lot better 2 pt guy than Galloway, for example, with his floater. He was mentored by Rajon Rondo in Boston and Jameer Nelson in Orlando 6-8 years ago before becoming an impact starter in NO and his a hard worker and high character guy https://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/court-pelicans-forward/guard-etwaun-moore https://www.etwaun55.com/

I do see your point about Payne being the 3rd most important player which is a reason for my post about being worried because him having the range ofpossibly being somewhat close to what he was in the bubble to the player out of the league the previous 4 years for 210 games is a very wide variation.

But I view how much Ayton contributes as more important as well as Bridges development, though I know Bridges works very hard, is our most important defensive guy guarding from 1 to 5, and usually the toughest assignment as well as his much improved 3 pt %, much, much improved creating off of the dribble, as show multiple times against LeBron, and his great cutting and instints as well as his solid passing and assisting teammates.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#11 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:38 pm

I think they'll give Payne a shot to be in the rotation but if he flops Booker will essentially be the backup PG. They are going to want him to run some O anyway because hes good at it so this can work. Carter, Galloway, or Moore are all guys who can play with him in that scenario.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#12 » by Saberestar » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:10 am

I feel comfortable with Cam Payne as our primary backup PG.

I think he is way better now that he was in his first couple of years in the league.

He is much more stronger now and he can absorb the contact better, allowig him to protect the ball better and go to the rim more successfully.

He is more savvy now and he always have been talented, lack of talent was never a problem for his NBA career but he needed some years of experience and a different type of body.

He was amazing in the G-League last season , he did not play very well only in the bubble.
I think he will be good as a backup PG this season.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#13 » by cberry78 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:58 am

https://www.nba.com/suns/features/wreaking-havoc-94-feet-time

This is what I'm looking for out of Payne (and Carter).

Even if it's only effective for 3 or 4-minute spurts throughout the game, that's more than enough rest for CP3 and Booker to both be off the court resting. And if it works for longer stretches, even better.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#14 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:15 am

Saberestar wrote:I feel comfortable with Cam Payne as our primary backup PG.

I think he is way better now that he was in his first couple of years in the league.

He is much more stronger now and he can absorb the contact better, allowig him to protect the ball better and go to the rim more successfully.

He is more savvy now and he always have been talented, lack of talent was never a problem for his NBA career but he needed some years of experience and a different type of body.

He was amazing in the G-League last season , he did not play very well only in the bubble.

Playing well in the G league means nothing though. How many of these G league MVPs have done anything in the regular league?

2001–02 Ansu Sesay Forward United States Greenville Groove
2002–03 Devin Brown Guard United States Fayetteville Patriots
2003–04 Tierre Brown Guard United States Charleston Lowgators
2004–05 Matt Carroll Guard United States Roanoke Dazzle
2005–06 Marcus Fizer Forward United States Austin Toros
2006–07 Randy Livingston Guard United States Idaho Stampede
2007–08 Kasib Powell Forward United States Sioux Falls Skyforce
2008–09 Courtney Sims Center United States Iowa Energy
2009–10 Mike Harris Forward United States Rio Grande Valley Vipers
2010–11 Curtis Stinson Guard United States Iowa Energy
2011–12 Justin Dentmon Guard United States Austin Toros
2012–13 Drew Goudelock Guard United States Rio Grande Valley Vipers
2013–14 Ron Howard Guard United States Fort Wayne Mad Ants
Othyus Jeffers Forward United States Iowa Energy
2014–15 Tim Frazier Guard United States Maine Red Claws
2015–16 Jarnell Stokes Forward United States Sioux Falls Skyforce
2016–17 Vander Blue Guard United States Los Angeles D-Fenders
2017–18 Lorenzo Brown Guard United States Raptors 905
2018–19 Chris Boucher Forward Canada Raptors 905
2019–20 Frank Mason III Guard United States Wisconsin Herd

I guess Tim Frazier and Boucher have done decent, but that's it...and these are the best players each year in the G league. It's a totally different level.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,150

Post#15 » by bigfoot » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:02 am

bwgood77 wrote:

Playing well in the G league means nothing though. How many of these G league MVPs have done anything in the regular league?

I guess Tim Frazier and Boucher have done decent, but that's it...and these are the best players each year in the G league. It's a totally different level.

True that most in the G-leaguers don't translate to the NBA. There have been a few including Danny Green, Whiteside, Barrea, Quinn Cook, and Covington. Need to cross our fingers that Payne turns into a decent role player for the Suns.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,974

Post#16 » by Mr Puddles » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:19 am

cberry78 wrote:https://www.nba.com/suns/features/wreaking-havoc-94-feet-time

Even if it's only effective for 3 or 4-minute spurts throughout the game, that's more than enough rest for CP3 and Booker to both be off the court resting. And if it works for longer stretches, even better.

Although I don't put too much value into small sample sizes, Cam Payne was damn near perfect as a back-up PG in the 8 games he played for us last season: 11ppg 3 assists on 61%ts and 52% 3pg, while being energetic and pesty.

I like it that Monte is rewarding his good play with making the back-up PG spot his to lose.

If Payne doesn't work out, I think we'll grab a buy-out veteran PG later in the season, or trade a second-rounder for one (e.g. George Hill).
Spoiler:
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#17 » by Bogyo » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:50 am

Mr Puddles wrote:
cberry78 wrote:https://www.nba.com/suns/features/wreaking-havoc-94-feet-time

Although I don't put too much value into small sample sizes, Cam Payne was damn near perfect as a back-up PG in the 8 games he played for us last season: 11ppg 3 assists on 61%ts and 52% 3pg, while being energetic and pesty.

I like it that Monte is rewarding his good play with making the back-up PG spot his to lose.

If Payne doesn't work out, I think we'll grab a buy-out veteran PG later in the season, or trade a second-rounder for one (e.g. George Hill).

I also think these are the most probable scenarios, and nothing wrong with those. I'd even like the 3-4 minute full court press with those 2, just make sure if opposing team gets through it we have someone (a preferably poor FT shooter) to foul before the easy bucket. This shouldn't be all that bad, especially against another bench squad.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#18 » by nevetsov » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:28 am

He is starting to remind me a bit of socks Perry.

For those who don't remember him..

(From Wiki)

"The 6'0" (1.83 m) point guard... played ten games in 1991-92 for the Clippers before being waived and subsequently signed for the rest of the season by the Charlotte Hornets. He then moved on to Continental Basketball Association for two years before returning to the NBA with the Phoenix Suns where in 1994-95 he was voted runner-up as the NBA's Most Improved Player."
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#19 » by Saberestar » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:53 am

bwgood77 wrote:

What I was trying to say is that he has been playing very well in the G-League (and that is why Monty called him), then in the bubble, then in preseason. There is a new path since coming back from China.

I know that G-League is way worse than the NBA, but there are players that do not play great there (Lecque, for example) so I do not take that for granted.

Now he needs to extend that good play this season and he will get a long term deal contract, probably similar to the one that Jevon Carter got this offseason.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#20 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:20 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

What I was trying to say is that he has been playing very well in the G-League (and that is why Monty called him), then in the bubble, then in preseason. There is a new path since coming back from China.

I know that G-League is way worse than the NBA, but there are players that do not play great there (Lecque, for example) so I do not take that for granted.

Now he needs to extend that good play this season and he will get a long term deal contract, probably similar to the one that Jevon Carter got this offseason.

Yes, he's given us no reason in his play to have cause for concern, but preseason and 3/4 of the bubble games are against teams not trying too hard.

We'll see. I'd probably even feel better with Haliburton in that role despite being a rookie.

Return to Phoenix Suns