Youtube TV, Hulu Live, Sling, Dish

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Youtube TV, Hulu Live, Sling, Dish 

Post#1 » by Old Man Game » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:13 am

Anyone else dealing with one of these carriers having dropped the Fox RSNs? I was looking today, I guess this "At&T Now" service still has them. Its more expensive than the rest but you do get HBO Max for free in the tier of service that has the RSNs. I'm thinking I may wait a week or so to see if Google works something out with Sinclair to get them back and if not just go ahead and pull the trigger on switching.

Anyway, this is such a sorry situation I thought it deserved its own thread.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Re: Youtube TV, Hulu Live, Sling, Dish 

Post#2 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:56 am

Yea it really is frustrating. I dropped sling last year for Hulu because they did the same thing. Now I’m in the same boat again this year. I did a 6 week purchase on hehestreams and I’ve been pretty satisfied. I would rather not do something like that but I have no choice. I would guess direct tv now will do the same when their agreement expires. League pass is just worthless with blackouts. This is on the nba for making their product so inaccessible.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#3 » by cjmcallist » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:24 pm

That situation is a cluster, and you're right - the NBA screwed up.

Another option is to buy League Pass, but use a VPN for blacked out games.

I'm in Dallas, so League pass works fine for me.
ThunderCeltic
Junior
And1: 358

Post#4 » by ThunderCeltic » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:09 am

Fox Sports Oklahoma(subsidiary of Fox Sports Southwest) is still carrying the games on COX in the Oklahoma City area. Tulsa area still gets Thunder games on Fox Sports SW but in other parts of the state they get the Fox Sports Southwest Dallas feed and get the Mavericks games instead.I believe in Little Rock they get both the Thunder and Grizzlies feed (being closer to Memphis) but with the local cable companies in Little Rock changing soon they may only get the Memphis feed.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Old Man Game » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:57 pm

From what I read Sinclair is literally thinking of doing their own streaming service which will have these channels on them next year. That would actually be sort of cool. Provided it wasn't priced out of range.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Old Man Game » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:59 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Yea it really is frustrating. I dropped sling last year for Hulu because they did the same thing. Now I’m in the same boat again this year. I did a 6 week purchase on hehestreams and I’ve been pretty satisfied. I would rather not do something like that but I have no choice. I would guess direct tv now will do the same when their agreement expires. League pass is just worthless with blackouts. This is on the nba for making their product so inaccessible.
Wait. What's hehestreams?

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:21 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Yea it really is frustrating. I dropped sling last year for Hulu because they did the same thing. Now I’m in the same boat again this year. I did a 6 week purchase on hehestreams and I’ve been pretty satisfied. I would rather not do something like that but I have no choice. I would guess direct tv now will do the same when their agreement expires. League pass is just worthless with blackouts. This is on the nba for making their product so inaccessible.

https://www.hehestreams.com/

It's what league pass should be but it's though reddit-like streams. It's more reliable than reddit but not free. Thabo mentioned it on a general board thread complaining about this same problem. I did a little research to make sure it was legit and signed up. You pay through paypal so I felt it was safe enough. So far the streams have been great. You can do a free trial. There is also a website from the creators of reddit that have free streams. It works but it's a little more frustrating. Make sure you have a pop up blocker.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Old Man Game » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:46 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

It's what league pass should be but it's though reddit-like streams. It's more reliable than reddit but not free. Thabo mentioned it on a general board thread complaining about this same problem. I did a little research to make sure it was legit and signed up. You pay through paypal so I felt it was safe enough. So far the streams have been great. You can do a free trial. There is also a website from the creators of reddit that have free streams. It works but it's a little more frustrating. Make sure you have a pop up blocker.
So I gather they are somehow just intercepting decrypting and restreaming the feeds you would otherwise get via league pass? If so that's Badass. I'm going to try it out. F Sinclair.

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:04 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Wait. What's hehestreams?

So I gather they are somehow just intercepting decrypting and restreaming the feeds you would otherwise get via league pass? If so that's Badass. I'm going to try it out. F Sinclair.

Basically. It's kind of nice that it gives you the option to choose which feed you want, home or away. It's nice to not have to listen to Cage. Also, you can go back and watch the game if you miss it. They also do MLB, NFL and NHL as separate packages.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#10 » by spearsy23 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:38 pm

They have a roku app. I'm sold. That's always been my biggest problem with streaming, I want to watch on my TV without jumping through hoops
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:21 pm

If you have an apple TV, I've been really impressed with how well the mirroring works. Mirroring youtube and other stuff has always been glitchy but I've had no problems at all.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Old Man Game » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:49 pm

I tried the trial last night on my computer. It was sort of glitchy for me but it may have been because I was trying to go through a VPN. Unfortunately I think I'm back to just going with AT&T now. Unless YouTube TV gets everything sorted out with Sinclair Broadcasting.

Thabo Sefolosha
Thunder Forum The Opening Tip
And1: 6,543

Post#13 » by Thabo Sefolosha » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:29 am

Hehestreams is really good. I've been using it for a while. You'll get the occasional hiccups e.g. having to refresh multiple times for the stream vid to pop up but besides that it's a solid price.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Old Man Game » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:09 am

Went ahead and subscribed to the at&t service today. So far it seems pretty good. Very comparable to YouTube TV in terms of picture quality and the user interface.

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Went ahead and subscribed to the at&t service today. So far it seems pretty good. Very comparable to YouTube TV in terms of picture quality and the user interface.

All of these companies have been losing the RSN's one by one. It seems like as their agreements expire, the network is dropped. I didn't sign up for AT&T because I assumed they'll just do the same.

On a side note I guess in the Covid "stimulus" package they passed something targeting illegal streams. I would imagine the end is near for Hehe streams.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/22/tech/illegal-streaming-felony-covid-relief-bill/index.html
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Old Man Game » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:33 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Went ahead and subscribed to the at&t service today. So far it seems pretty good. Very comparable to YouTube TV in terms of picture quality and the user interface.

All of these companies have been losing the RSN's one by one. It seems like as their agreements expire, the network is dropped. I didn't sign up for AT&T because I assumed they'll just do the same.

Certainly possible. Since there is no commitment with this product (as opposed to the company's similarly named "At&t TV" which has a 2 year commitment) I'll just cancel if they do. So far I really like it though. It has some things that neither youtube tv nor hulu live had. For 1, you start the app and it immediately stars the channel you had it on when you turned it off, like an old school tv. 2, the guide stays positioned on that channel, you don't start over from the top each time like Youtube did (can't remember if Hulu was like that because its been awhile since I had that).

ThunderBolt wrote:On a side note I guess in the Covid "stimulus" package they passed something targeting illegal streams. I would imagine the end is near for Hehe streams.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/22/tech/illegal-streaming-felony-covid-relief-bill/index.html

I saw that too. Immediately thought of our conversation about Hehe. Not entirely clear if live sports are encompassed by the bill's language because everything I've seen appears to relate to movies and tv shows but even if it isn't the formal end could be right around the corner with subsequent legislation now that they're focusing on this.

At some point the NBA will probably have to wake up and realize these Fox RSNs aren't adequate to serve and grow their fanbase.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#17 » by spearsy23 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:34 am

Charging 200 bucks for league pass and blacking out local games is ridiculous. I'd gladly pay tuned price if it wasn't for that.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Old Man Game » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:03 am

spearsy23 wrote:Charging 200 bucks for league pass and blacking out local games is ridiculous. I'd gladly pay tuned price if it wasn't for that.

Blackout restrictions should be illegal.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Old Man Game » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:39 pm

So last night was the first actual Thunder game via Fox Sports Oklahoma on At&t Tv Now that I watched. It was really bad. I wish I could've posted a pic for you all. During the actual game action it was grainy. Almost like the poor signal "snow" you'd get on an old analog TV but instead of white dots it was tan colored dots. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen on a streaming platform.

To make it even more frustrating, when they'd cut to graphics or back to the studio at halftime, the picture was crystal clear. It was literally just during the live game action. I'm hoping it was some one off. If not I'm going back to the drawing board. 80 bucks a month to be able to watch that? Yeah, no.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:47 pm

Old Man Game wrote:So last night was the first actual Thunder game via Fox Sports Oklahoma on At&t Tv Now that I watched. It was really bad. I wish I could've posted a pic for you all. During the actual game action it was grainy. Almost like the poor signal "snow" you'd get on an old analog TV but instead of white dots it was tan colored dots. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen on a streaming platform.

To make it even more frustrating, when they'd cut to graphics or back to the studio at halftime, the picture was crystal clear. It was literally just during the live game action. I'm hoping it was some one off. If not I'm going back to the drawing board. 80 bucks a month to be able to watch that? Yeah, no.

The only issue I had with hehe was for about five minutes the okc announcers had an echo in the first half.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder