Cleveland's getting a new name!

Moderator: TyCobb

Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,297

Cleveland's getting a new name! 

Post#1 » by Parataxis » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:24 am

Well, their team is. Presumably the city is still going to be Cleveland.

Congratulations, and well done. It'll be good when our sports radio is able to say your team name when you're visiting. <3

Read on Twitter
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,243

Re: Cleveland's getting a new name! 

Post#2 » by heezyo2o » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:11 pm

Seems like non native americans are more offended by these sports teams names than actual American Indians

Read on Twitter
dickfox
Senior
And1: 521

Post#3 » by dickfox » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:37 pm

If it's not the Cleveland Steamers, I just don't care.
marley game
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#4 » by marley game » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:12 pm

Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#5 » by Metallikid » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:48 pm

They will be the Cleveland Spiders as that was their name before Indians.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,144

Post#6 » by rapstarter » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:16 pm

heezyo2o wrote:Seems like non native americans are more offended by these sports teams names than actual American Indians

Read on Twitter

Give this a read:
https://www.ncai.org/resources/ncai_publications/ending-the-legacy-of-racism-in-sports-the-era-of-harmful-indian-sports-mascots
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#7 » by LivingLegend » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:10 pm

heezyo2o wrote:Seems like non native americans are more offended by these sports teams names than actual American Indians

Read on Twitter

Heres my thing... somebody mentioned to me that changing the name away from Indians is only erasing more and more Native American presence and awareness. The name Indians IMO isnt offensive. I get that people saw the Cheif Wahoo logo as offensive, fine, I get it--but Im not sure how changing the team name away from Indians helps anything in Native American culture.
Castle Black
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,958

Post#8 » by Castle Black » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:48 pm

Guardians..?!?

Holy crap that is terrible :lol:. Everything from the name to the logo is terrible. What a dumpster fire.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,874

Post#9 » by agkagk » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:27 pm

LivingLegend wrote:

Read on Twitter

Heres my thing... somebody mentioned to me that changing the name away from Indians is only erasing more and more Native American presence and awareness. The name Indians IMO isnt offensive. I get that people saw the Cheif Wahoo logo as offensive, fine, I get it--but Im not sure how changing the team name away from Indians helps anything in Native American culture.

I’m Greek, nothing offensive about the usc Trojans — and the Trojans were wiped out of existence.

Most us have the sense to know that teams are named after things of strength.

So ya know, it’s a form of flattery that the team is called the indians.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#10 » by LivingLegend » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:06 pm

Castle Black wrote:Guardians..?!?

Holy crap that is terrible :lol:. Everything from the name to the logo is terrible. What a dumpster fire of an organization.

They were deciding between the Spiders and Guardians. I think they made the right choice lol They are also the guardians because they have statues of guardians on the bridge right outside the stadium.

I will say-- the logo with the baseball and the G is absolutely terrible. They need that reworded ASAP before printing merch next season.

PS-- That dumpster fire of a organization has the most wins in the American League in the past decade from 2010-2020. :wink: All while operating with the leagues 24th-30th ranked payrolls.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#11 » by LivingLegend » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:09 pm

agkagk wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Read on Twitter

I’m Greek, nothing offensive about the usc Trojans — and the Trojans were wiped out of existence.

Most us have the sense to know that teams are named after things of strength.

So ya know, it’s a form of flattery that the team is called the indians.

Right, and if they found Indians bad--I was really pushing for them to renaming to 'Tribe'. It was already their nickname, a tribe is a group of unified people and there is nothing offensive about the term Tribe.

No idea why they didnt go with that. Apparently they wanted to get completely away from the native american theme.
marley game
Sophomore

Post#12 » by marley game » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:51 pm

D.R.E.A.M.
countryboy667
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#13 » by countryboy667 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:02 pm

This sort of thing is exactly why I don't follow baseball anymore, though I used to be the biggest Detroit Tiger fan who ever lived...drip, drip, drip--like water eroding a stone, eventually wokeness is going to kill sports. It's already starting to kill women's sports with all the "women" with male genitalia competing against real biological women. I'm just waiting till the first NBA scrub decides he "identifies as a woman" and demands the right to play for one of the WNBA teams and becomes the Wilt Chamberlain of the league.
marley game
Sophomore

Post#14 » by marley game » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:18 pm

yo

Rip32
Rookie
And1: 179

Post#15 » by Rip32 » Thu Oct 7, 2021 2:54 pm

The Cleveland Armpits

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#16 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Nov 4, 2021 7:29 am

My dumb idea is that if the Braves name and Tomahawk chop get cancelled, just keep it but change the meaning so it's that it means the players are brave. Like the logo being a gladiator with sword and shield or something.

Chicago Blackhawks new logo a helicopter or I guess a hawk that is black. Redskins become Red Skins but their logo is a football with red skin or a something or you could go the bird route there too and have a red skinned bird or something.

Indians the hardest because if you go with a Taj Mahal type logo and lean that direction it makes the same people mad as before.
marLeygkiLLa
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#17 » by marLeygkiLLa » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:49 pm

cleveland = new era

Return to The General MLB Board