Welcome Shake Milton

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Re: Welcome Shake Milton 

Post#241 » by Negrodamus » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:58 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:Mike O Conner has a really good film breakdown up on the first game. Shake's defensive woes were largely adjustment to scheme changes. For instance on PnR help defense, he messed up cutting off the roller initially but fixed those mistakes by games end. Like it's already been said, he's going to get lightly roasted by the Kyrie's of the world but it would be unfair to expect him not to. He's going to be a solid defender overall and in the right spots generally. As long as he can do that, and his offense is as advertised, we have a hell of a player.

He also ripped Mattise to pieces so I'm not sure some around here can handle the watch.

He also repeats himself for emphasis after every sentence, which was making it hard for me to watch.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#242 » by Sixerscan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:07 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:Mike O Conner has a really good film breakdown up on the first game. Shake's defensive woes were largely adjustment to scheme changes. For instance on PnR help defense, he messed up cutting off the roller initially but fixed those mistakes by games end. Like it's already been said, he's going to get lightly roasted by the Kyrie's of the world but it would be unfair to expect him not to. He's going to be a solid defender overall and in the right spots generally. As long as he can do that, and his offense is as advertised, we have a hell of a player.

He also ripped Mattise to pieces so I'm not sure some around here can handle the watch.

He also repeats himself for emphasis after every sentence, which was making it hard for me to watch.

He was getting a little exasperated for the first preseason game after 3 months off, not sure how he's gonna get through the season lol.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#243 » by Sixersftw » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:12 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

He was getting a little exasperated for the first preseason game after 3 months off, not sure how he's gonna get through the season lol.

obsessive detail about a meaningless game? Does not ring any bells.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#244 » by Arsenal » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:42 pm

Pardon me if I don't freak out about some defensive lapses in the 1st meaningless preseason game under a new coach and new scheme. I have zero worries about Thybulle's D. And I have confidence Shake can at least become adequate on that end.
6ers83
Senior
And1: 195

Post#245 » by 6ers83 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:46 pm

He’s better than curry but do we start or or let him tear up 2nd string guys?
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#246 » by Kobblehead » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:55 pm

6ers83 wrote:He’s better than curry but do we start or or let him tear up 2nd string guys?

Let Maxey tear up 2nd string guys. We need Milton in the starting lineup because nobody in the current lineup can handle the ball in the pick and roll (aside from Tobias Harris to a marginal degree).
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#247 » by 76ciology » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:13 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
6ers83 wrote:He’s better than curry but do we start or or let him tear up 2nd string guys?

Let Maxey tear up 2nd string guys. We need Milton in the starting lineup because nobody in the current lineup can handle the ball in the pick and roll (aside from Tobias Harris to a marginal degree).

Maxey can run the PnR relentless like Doncic and Seth can play that role he played for the Mavs with Doncic.

The offense of our starting unit is just so lethargic right now that I think we need to start Milton.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#248 » by phillynative » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:12 pm

76ciology wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:

Maxey can run the PnR relentless like Doncic and Seth can play that role he played for the Mavs with Doncic.

The offense of our starting unit is just so lethargic right now that I think we need to start Milton.

So the sixers should play two six foot guards off the bench?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#249 » by 76ciology » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:21 pm

phillynative wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:

So the sixers should play two six foot guards off the bench?

Ive thought about this.

yes
1.)you can do this because you have multiple good defenders that you can pair them with. And two bigs who can be great rim protectors.
2.) im seeing teams going small with their 1-2-3. Namely, OKC that used a 3 guard line-up. Which was the league’s best 5 man unit. Mavs also used a 3 guard line-up during the playoffs with Doncic-Seth-THJ, the magic recently run a J Cole-Fultz-MCW trio. Yup, size wise we’re small but my point is you can now have a couple of small negative defenders if you can compensate it with speed and offense.
3.) you can run defensive scheme to mask it like zone defense (how Mia able to play defense with negative defenders, both Herro and Robinson on the court) or do how they would play against us when we try to dump the ball to biid. Make it hard for them to make the entry pass or to set-up their man (pre-switch) then once their man gets the ball, you double the guy and let the shotclock work against them.
4.) you’re going up against back-up players. It’s more of an issue if you are running a maxey-seth unit to start and end games.

^ then both guys would play with either pairs.
- Ben&D12
-Green,Thybulle&Biid
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#250 » by Arsenal » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:30 pm

I don't care so much if he starts or comes off the bench, but he better get 30 mpg. He can put up Tobias type "all-star" numbers if he gets the playing time.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,750

Post#251 » by Stanford » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:34 pm

Maxey
Shake
Green
Simmons
Embiid
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#252 » by agiaco » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:40 pm

Arsenal wrote:I don't care so much if he starts or comes off the bench, but he better get 30 mpg. He can put up Tobias type "all-star" numbers if he gets the playing time.

I was thinking this morning if Shake has all-star potential. He's better than Tobias already.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#253 » by Arsenal » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:15 pm

Stanford wrote:Maxey
Shake
Green
Simmons
Embiid

What happened to our $180M man?
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,750

Post#254 » by Stanford » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:17 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Stanford wrote:Maxey
Shake
Green
Simmons
Embiid

What happened to our $180M man?

Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#255 » by Monix » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:22 pm

Shake's gotta like the look of the Kennard extension
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#256 » by 51X3RF4N » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:42 pm

Monix wrote:Shake's gotta like the look of the Kennard extension
Isn't he under team control for like, 3 more seasons though? We could technically extend him for a few more at a higher amount? Not sure how contracts work. Wouldn't we be best served waiting 2 more years to extend him?

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#257 » by Monix » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:05 pm

yeah, he's got 3 years left but he'll get a nice fat deal if he stays healthy
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,115

Post#258 » by M2J » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:18 am

I just have to say from the onset that I'm slightly disappointed that Doc didn't think to start Shake initially.

It's not like Seth was some big free agent, and a starting opportunity is owed to him.

They need to get Ben into more screening opportunities using both Tobias and Shake. Seth has shown ball handling ability in his career, but hasn't so far in his short time.

I think it could work fine with Seth, but Shake may be the currently available key to unlocking this offense. Scoring spark 6th men are great to have, but not necessary if that player has the tools to fit the starting lineup and actually make them better. You then stagger, and allow Shake to play a different role with different lineups.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#259 » by 76ciology » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:39 am

Read on Twitter
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Post#260 » by blargh » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:24 pm

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

Westbrook largely guards himself these days. I thought Shake was tolerable on defense last night, but certainly not great. That could be enough for us though given all he brings on the offensive side.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers