ImageImageImageImageImage

2020/2021 general thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

MarxyLebronist
Senior
And1: 330

Re: 2020/2021 general thread 

Post#41 » by MarxyLebronist » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:21 pm

Very excited to watch Halliburton in action tonight. Hope everyone else keeps up with him.
Would be criminal to not run Metu and Guy at least 15 minutes each but I expect that will be the case.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#42 » by nolang1 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:40 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
What about White makes you think hes "clearly better" than Bogdan? Oh ya... White is also 26.5 YO.

Fultz is a broken player, but sure I understand gambling on his potential. I don't think that was an awful contract, the same way that Bogdan's contract clearly wasn't awful either.

He can actually play defense and in the bubble when he got to start, he averaged 23, 5, and 6 per 36 minutes. Lol were you expecting that to be some brain teaser of a question?

Also Fultz's and Bogdan's contracts only look comparable when you just look at the straight dollar amounts and ignore the players' ages. There's a big difference between a team option in the last year versus a player option plus a trade kicker.

So we are picking random 8 game samples and judging players solely based on that now?

When Fox was out early in the season, Bogdan had an 8 game stretch where he averaged 21, 6.5, 4 while shooting 53% from the 3pt line on 7 attempts per game. We went 5-3 and he was instrumental in winning us most of those games.

Does that mean anything?

Why are you so hyper focused on Fultz? Hes a pg, I simply put him in as another example because he signed that day. That said he has been trash and was signed simply on potential, so yes Bogdan is older but hes also the far safer bet to live up to his contract. There were plenty of other guys to mention.

Again, I'm not upset that the Kings didn't resign him. Once it was clear we couldn't move Buddy and Haliburton fell to us it made zero sense to tie up another 70+ million. That said his contract is more than fair.

Not sure why you are constantly so aggressive in your responses.. I literally asked you a simple question? Get your panties out of a bunch.

Because you seem to consider him the worst contract when even his is better than Bogdan's. It's pretty simple to gather from your assertions (Bogdan is better than all those players, Fultz was 'trash') that you don't understand how defense works. White is borderline all-defense at point guard, and the bubble isn't exactly a random stretch when it's the only games anyone has played in the last 9 months and the Spurs played more young players with Aldridge out and looked better than they did earlier in the season. So yes, that stretch from Bogdan is worse because it came with worse defense (worse everything except three-point shooting) and against worse competition.

Bogdan is literally the least likely of that group to live up to his contract. If he's still starting this time next year it would mean Huerter and Reddish were both busts, and once again the Hawks added the maximum amount of other stuff to his contract to make it the worst possible 4/72. If someone like Fultz gets worse his contract expires next year.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#43 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:09 pm

nolang1 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
He can actually play defense and in the bubble when he got to start, he averaged 23, 5, and 6 per 36 minutes. Lol were you expecting that to be some brain teaser of a question?

Also Fultz's and Bogdan's contracts only look comparable when you just look at the straight dollar amounts and ignore the players' ages. There's a big difference between a team option in the last year versus a player option plus a trade kicker.

So we are picking random 8 game samples and judging players solely based on that now?

When Fox was out early in the season, Bogdan had an 8 game stretch where he averaged 21, 6.5, 4 while shooting 53% from the 3pt line on 7 attempts per game. We went 5-3 and he was instrumental in winning us most of those games.

Does that mean anything?

Why are you so hyper focused on Fultz? Hes a pg, I simply put him in as another example because he signed that day. That said he has been trash and was signed simply on potential, so yes Bogdan is older but hes also the far safer bet to live up to his contract. There were plenty of other guys to mention.

Again, I'm not upset that the Kings didn't resign him. Once it was clear we couldn't move Buddy and Haliburton fell to us it made zero sense to tie up another 70+ million. That said his contract is more than fair.

Not sure why you are constantly so aggressive in your responses.. I literally asked you a simple question? Get your panties out of a bunch.

Because you seem to consider him the worst contract when even his is better than Bogdan's. It's pretty simple to gather from your assertions (Bogdan is better than all those players, Fultz was 'trash') that you don't understand how defense works. White is borderline all-defense at point guard, and the bubble isn't exactly a random stretch when it's the only games anyone has played in the last 9 months and the Spurs played more young players with Aldridge out and looked better than they did earlier in the season. So yes, that stretch from Bogdan is worse because it came with worse defense (worse everything except three-point shooting) and against worse competition.

Bogdan is literally the least likely of that group to live up to his contract. If he's still starting this time next year it would mean Huerter and Reddish were both busts, and once again the Hawks added the maximum amount of other stuff to his contract to make it the worst possible 4/72. If someone like Fultz gets worse his contract expires next year.

Now I think you are literally imagining things. My only comment about Fultz in my second post was "Fultz is a broken player, but sure I understand gambling on his potential. I don't think that was an awful contract, the same way that Bogdan's contract clearly wasn't awful either." Nothing about this is untrue. His shot is broken, hes spent a good amount of time injured, and when he was healthy last year he was so negative on offense that is wiped out any contribution he made on the offensive end.

But again, why are you mixing my words? When did I ever say hes the "worst contract"

And lets be clear here. DRPM has Fultz as the 20th ranked pg. It also has White as the 25th ranked pg. Far from "All-defense at point guard". DBPM backs that up. Funny enough Bogdan has both of them beat in terms of impact according to ESPN DRPM.

Either way from your first reply you have been condescending. I've had run ins with you before, and from I can tell others have as well. You clearly are aiming to be the smartest in the room instead of just having a rational conversation where 2 people exchange thoughts. So clearly this convo isn't going anywhere. Take care and merry Christmas!
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#44 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:14 pm

MarxyLebronist wrote:Very excited to watch Halliburton in action tonight. Hope everyone else keeps up with him.
Would be criminal to not run Metu and Guy at least 15 minutes each but I expect that will be the case.

What's the status of Metu? I count 15 players without him and Guy.

Fox/Joseph
Buddy/Haliburton/James/Ramsey
Barnes/GRIII/Woodard/Jefferies
Bagley/Bjelica/Parker
Holmes/Whiteside

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/cap/

Kinda confused because sportrac doesn't even list him as one of our 2-way guys?
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#45 » by MarxyLebronist » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:23 pm

He looked great is all I know!
But alas, they waived him as it turns out. Wow if someone gets him for nothing now...
I'll stand corrected if he's just no good, but he looked better than many out there this preseason.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#46 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:04 pm

MarxyLebronist wrote:He looked great is all I know!
But alas, they waived him as it turns out. Wow if someone gets him for nothing now...
I'll stand corrected if he's just no good, but he looked better than many out there this preseason.

Ya tough to judge solely off a small sample shortened covid pre-season. Spurs had 2 years to look at him and wanted zero to do with him, Spurs fans were happy to move on.

That's not to say he can't eventually do what Holmes/Wood have done the past few years. I would have preferred paying Parker to go home and bringing Metu in, or at least signing him to a 2-way contract. But I can understand keeping Parker for salary matching purposes.
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#47 » by MarxyLebronist » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:32 pm

Holmes does not look like there's upside, and he's older now.
But he's more polished offensively for sure, and it looks like the Kings will try to run and score a ton this year.
Perhaps Metu will be on a 2-way or something useful. He was the most active rebounder/shot changer on the floor who was not Whiteside, in the preseason. But he got into crazy foul trouble and I imagine is more work than teams can do. If the Spurs gave up on him, that indeed says a lot.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#48 » by nolang1 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:29 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Does that mean anything?

Now I think you are literally imagining things. My only comment about Fultz in my second post was "Fultz is a broken player, but sure I understand gambling on his potential. I don't think that was an awful contract, the same way that Bogdan's contract clearly wasn't awful either." Nothing about this is untrue. His shot is broken, hes spent a good amount of time injured, and when he was healthy last year he was so negative on offense that is wiped out any contribution he made on the offensive end.

But again, why are you mixing my words? When did I ever say hes the "worst contract"

And lets be clear here. DRPM has Fultz as the 20th ranked pg. It also has White as the 25th ranked pg. Far from "All-defense at point guard". DBPM backs that up. Funny enough Bogdan has both of them beat in terms of impact according to ESPN DRPM.

Either way from your first reply you have been condescending. I've had run ins with you before, and from I can tell others have as well. You clearly are aiming to be the smartest in the room instead of just having a rational conversation where 2 people exchange thoughts. So clearly this convo isn't going anywhere. Take care and merry Christmas!

Cool story - I don't know about smartest guy in the room, but I definitely succeeded in being smarter than you by not ignoring age as it pertains to contracts that pay players based on what they will do over the next 3+ seasons rather than what they did last season. That's literally on par with being like "why is this freshman getting drafted higher than this senior who was better than him last season?" lol.

I could grant someone not knowing about White because he's one of the most underrated players in the league (although saying Bogdan was 'clearly' better than him when you clearly haven't watched much of him cancels that out), but it takes a particular amount of homerism to say he was better than a player like Anunoby who started for the team with the 2nd-best regular season record.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#49 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:37 am

nolang1 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

Cool story - I don't know about smartest guy in the room, but I definitely succeeded in being smarter than you by not ignoring age as it pertains to contracts that pay players based on what they will do over the next 3+ seasons rather than what they did last season. That's literally on par with being like "why is this freshman getting drafted higher than this senior who was better than him last season?" lol.

I could grant someone not knowing about White because he's one of the most underrated players in the league (although saying Bogdan was 'clearly' better than him when you clearly haven't watched much of him cancels that out), but it takes a particular amount of homerism to say he was better than a player like Anunoby who started for the team with the 2nd-best regular season record.
You clearly lack reading comprehension so ill give you a pass. Seeing how my op clearly said except OG. I've watched plenty of white and I like him, go look through my posts on the t&t board I was advocating for sac to trade for him last year.

Still doesn't change the fact Bogdan has been and is better than him. As for value over contract. Bogdan is literally signing his prime deal. He has shown more than white and deserved the contract more than thinking white is going to somehow turn another level, yet Bogdan is capped out. If you haven't checked (I don't blame you since you probably don't pay much attention) white isn't exactly some 21 year old kid.

But like I said all good!

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#50 » by MarxyLebronist » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:51 am

Metu signed to a 2 way acc. to Woj this evening, making me very happy.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#51 » by City of Trees » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:50 am

Did you guys see this tonight?

Read on Twitter
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#52 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:05 pm

City of Trees wrote:Did you guys see this tonight?

Read on Twitter

I'm not saying that Ball is going to be a complete bust, but I also have zero idea how he had so much hype behind him. I get it was his 1st game and rookie jitters, but he seems like such a flawed player with a broken shot.
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#53 » by MarxyLebronist » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:26 pm

Very early in the season, but can easily say there really was no decision to make between Ball and Wiseman or Edwards when you also factor in the Lavar tax lol. I have seen that sweet pass he made, though I find Campazzo's game much more appealing and saw the new ORL guard smoke him constantly in a final preseason game. The evidence we have is the evidence we have. Haliburton still outshines them all for me, but a few more new guys I'm planning to check out more in the coming days here. Another guy I really like so far: Achiuwa in Miami. I will go ahead and risk "poster credit" and say he'll be better than Wiseman as far as this year's bigs drafted. If I eat crow on that it will mean Wiseman overcame every single one of the major question marks that, like Ball, his handlers managed to hype past in some way rather than address through proof on court. and that he became an All Star. Because Achiuwa is all toughness and heart and strength, and he's the real deal. Perfect scenario for him there. There will be some foul trouble first tho lol.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#54 » by City of Trees » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:34 pm

Merry Christmas everyone.
nolimit0820
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#55 » by nolimit0820 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:25 am

Although only two games in... Man Brooklyn looks tough.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#56 » by City of Trees » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:41 am

What BBIQ grade would you hand out after watching Thomas Bryant dunk the putback WHILE PLAYING ON DEFENSE!

Read on Twitter
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,001

Post#57 » by OGSactownballer » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:23 pm

City of Trees wrote:What BBIQ grade would you hand out after watching Thomas Bryant dunk the putback WHILE PLAYING ON DEFENSE!

Read on Twitter

:crazy: :banghead:
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#58 » by BoogieTime » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:15 am

Maybe I’m a bit dejected from this last suns game, but I still think we should be going young this year.

Im hoping there is a market for these vets. Buddy/Barnes helped to win the nuggets game
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Post#59 » by Sactowndog » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:46 am

BoogieTime wrote:Maybe I’m a bit dejected from this last suns game, but I still think we should be going young this year.

Im hoping there is a market for these vets. Buddy/Barnes helped to win the nuggets game

I think Barnes would be a great fit on the TWolves.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,001

Post#60 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:57 pm

BoogieTime wrote:Maybe I’m a bit dejected from this last suns game, but I still think we should be going young this year.

Totally disagree with this sentiment and have all along.

Last year was an injury plagued, bad chemistry COVID fluke and a throwaway.

This is how we should have looked last year - healthy. It’s where everything left off two years ago. In an upward trajectory with a growing young core.

Winning is ultimately the priority. Having an attitude of being in a perennial rebuild is automatically self defeating. We need to start winning and building towards being a contender and you cannot do that by losing. Right now we are looking like there is a team wide chemistry and effort building to work together and win. We cannot just arbitrarily break that with a premature move. And we absolutely do not want to do ANYTHING that is not a now and later clear improvement.

Return to Sacramento Kings