Post#1 » by ducler » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:05 pm

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Game 2: MEM vs ATL 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:51 pm

Atlanta is missing Capela and Gallinari. Should be an interesting duel between Ja and Trae.

EDIT: Melton is now out. Bane time?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:11 pm

Preview: Hawks aim to stay hot in Memphis

The Atlanta Hawks put on quite a show on Wednesday evening, scoring 111 points in the first three quarters and zooming to a lopsided victory over the Chicago Bulls. After a practice on Thursday and a break for travel on Christmas, Trae Young and the Hawks return to Memphis for a match-up against the Grizzlies on Saturday evening.

Atlanta and Memphis faced off twice in the preseason, splitting the results on the scoreboard, and these two teams are quite familiar with one another. As such, it will be interesting to see how both squads adjust with such a short turnaround and only one game for each side since the Hawks returned home at the conclusion of the preseason.

While the Hawks were explosive offensively in the opener, Memphis brings a different challenge on both ends, operating at a higher level than Chicago presented. One example is the overall play of Ja Morant, with the reigning NBA Rookie of the Year erupting for 44 points and nine assists in the Grizzlies’ first game of the regular season.

As of Friday evening, the Hawks are listed as 1-point underdogs in Memphis, which is a shift — potentially as a result of the busy injury report — from the opening line. Still, this is viewed as a virtual toss-up, and Atlanta has a chance to improve to 2-0 if they can replicate the offensive showing they put forth on Wednesday.
Hawks SB Nation
vtime
Rookie
And1: 245

Post#4 » by vtime » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:19 pm

What happened to Clarke? I thought he was a steal last year and thought for sure he would start at the 4 with JJJ out this year.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:24 pm

How are Hawks only up 2 after that half.

Having missed the Spurs games, I now know how they lost. The bench is Tyus with 4 players that don't know what to do with the ball. Jenkins had to end up playing Jonas with them, only to have Dieng hurt the starting rotation to close the half. Then when you do that, the overall chemistry suffers.

Bench is (3-13) & Grizz are down 2.

Great first half for Anderson.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Whole Truth » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:34 pm

Grizz up 2, Dillon gets a bad non call driving. then starts to force his offense, Grizz now down 2. for a 3 possession 6 point swing.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Whole Truth » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:42 pm

LMAO look at these rotations.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:44 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:47 pm

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#10 » by VCfor3 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:56 pm

vtime wrote:What happened to Clarke? I thought he was a steal last year and thought for sure he would start at the 4 with JJJ out this year.

Clarke was banged up preseason and missed a few games. We are hoping that him still recovering from that is why he hasn't been as effective. He seems to lack a little of his pop and shots that were automatic in the paint last year aren't hitting. As for the 3pt shot, he reworked it and it is awful looking. I don't know how much of that can be attributed to injury. Hopefully he gets healthy again and gets back to his old self before too long.

As for starting, he doesn't seem to pair very well with JV so I think that is why he is coming off the bench instead of starting. Also Anderson earned the start in preseason and has continued to play well.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#11 » by VCfor3 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:57 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

They've been killing it. Huerter has to be careful to not foul out though.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#12 » by VCfor3 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:59 pm

JV has struggled these first two games relative to his normal consistent self. Anderson has really stepped it up and I love Konchar in his limited minutes. The guy just plays hard.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Whole Truth » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:24 am

VCfor3 wrote:JV has struggled these first two games relative to his normal consistent self. Anderson has really stepped it up and I love Konchar in his limited minutes. The guy just plays hard.

JV doesn't fumble rebounds & miss bunnies, he's being fouled on both ends.

Morant finally had enough of the BS, gets a tech after taking contact with no call. While Young/Hawks are getting to the line flopping all over the court.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#14 » by VCfor3 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:31 am

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:JV has struggled these first two games relative to his normal consistent self. Anderson has really stepped it up and I love Konchar in his limited minutes. The guy just plays hard.

Morant finally had enough of the BS, gets a tech after taking contact with no call. While Young/Hawks are getting to the line flopping all over the court.

He has these first two games. Some were fouls sure, but plenty weren't. He'll shake it off and be back to himself before long. He is one player I'm not worried about.

Some of the foul calls and no calls were rough at the end of this game. Atlanta still probably wins but it would have been close.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Whole Truth » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:37 am

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

He has these first two games. Some were fouls sure, but plenty weren't. He'll shake it off and be back to himself before long. He is one player I'm not worried about.

Some of the foul calls and no calls were rough at the end of this game. Atlanta still probably wins but it would have been close.

No doubt, Memphis didn't play well at all & should have been blown out & maybe a better team would have.

Doesn't change the fact that teams can't breathe on Zion, while Morant can't get any respect while being extremely aggressive. It's straight up BS.

Fake ass league for true competition.

2nd quarter I think at the 4 minute mark, Ja was guarding Trey, watch the official on the side line, he called the foul before there was any contact on Trey's 3pt attempt, it was an anticipation call. He was going to call that 3pt foul regardless.. The officials hand went up before Trey initiated the contact on a missed shot. Yet Ja can't get to the line with actual contact at the rim, 2 games now..

I'm glad he took the tech to let the refs know a blind man could have done a better job.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#16 » by VCfor3 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:42 am

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

No doubt, Memphis didn't play well at all & should have been blown out & maybe a better team would have.

Doesn't change the fact that teams can't breathe on Zion, while Morant can't get any respect while being extremely aggressive. It's straight up BS.

I'm hoping that will change if Ja continues playing like he has. I think he is seen as "the up-and-coming" star but who is still young so maybe at fault and thus doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. Zion was gifted immediate high level stardom. Trae was able to earn his star status last year and get it verified with the All Star nod. Being tied to Luka because of the draft trade doesn't hurt either. Ja breaking out this year will put him roughly where Trae was last year so hopefully he'll start getting the respect and whistle at some point this season.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Whole Truth » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:47 am

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:He has these first two games. Some were fouls sure, but plenty weren't. He'll shake it off and be back to himself before long. He is one player I'm not worried about.

I'm hoping that will change if Ja continues playing like he has. I think he is seen as "the up-and-coming" star but who is still young so maybe at fault and thus doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. Zion was gifted immediate high level stardom. Trae was able to earn his star status last year and get it verified with the All Star nod. Being tied to Luka because of the draft trade doesn't hurt either. Ja breaking out this year will put him roughly where Trae was last year so hopefully he'll start getting the respect and whistle at some point this season.

Officiating bias cannot be a level playing field, Zion's gifted respect is the league catering to ratings over true & fair competition.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#18 » by VCfor3 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:49 am

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Officiating bias cannot be a level playing field, Zion's gifted respect is the league catering to ratings over true & fair competition.

It definitely isn't level, but I'm just hoping it starts to play in our favor at some point if it is going to be bias haha.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:58 am

Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Whole Truth » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:00 am

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I'm hoping that will change if Ja continues playing like he has. I think he is seen as "the up-and-coming" star but who is still young so maybe at fault and thus doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. Zion was gifted immediate high level stardom. Trae was able to earn his star status last year and get it verified with the All Star nod. Being tied to Luka because of the draft trade doesn't hurt either. Ja breaking out this year will put him roughly where Trae was last year so hopefully he'll start getting the respect and whistle at some point this season.

It definitely isn't level, but I'm just hoping it starts to play in our favor at some point if it is going to be bias haha.

In a sense, it is in our favor because Memphis could be looking at a lotto pick before 3J returns. So I'm not complaining too much about the outcome but for a young player like Ja it's got to be frustrating to watch the indifference & general lack of respect.

The upside is the bad calls will harden his game for the playoffs.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies