ImageImage

Miles Bridges Arrested: Felony Domestic Violence, Wife Speaks Pg.85

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Re: Birdland Presents - The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#781 » by CuseMayne » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:53 am

JMAC3 wrote:There were more than a handful willing to trade him for a pick in this years draft in 20-30 range....

I do believe we have been bad for so long, that we have a view on a player that if they can't start then they are terrible.... there is nothing wrong with being a guy who comes off the bench that plays 25-30 minutes a night. Those guys have value too and him being 13th pick in the draft that is a reasonable outcome.

I was willing to include him in a trade to secure Wiseman as I was super low on Edwards and Ball (but Ball is really exciting me now, fingers crossed). I figured he didn't have a lot of room to improve and it was a decent idea to sell high. I am an enormous fan of Bridges, as I have his jersey and a poster of him in my room. He's been impressive in these first 3 preseason games...and it was a bit unfair to say he didn't have a lot of room to improve as he is still only 22 years old. Obviously rooting for him hard to succeed, and maybe the spark he needed was coming off the bench (and playing alongside LaMelo will seemingly help a lot too). He's looked hungry (figuratively and a bit literally, as he looks to be in very good shape :lol: ) to show what he can do, something I wish I could say for PJ...I know the small ball 5 thing is a tough new role to jump into, but he's been very uninspiring so far. Miles should have him a bit concerned that his starting spot isn't as secure as we all thought it would be about a month ago.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#782 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:35 pm

JB has said he's been most impressed with Miles and proud of him.

JB has also said minutes will be earned this year, whether the player is older or young.

The implication is that camp and preseason are an audition.

PJ did not show enough to win Zeller's starting spot.

Did Miles do enough to win PJ's starting spot? I think Miles deserves to be a starter. He earned it.

But I think groupings matter. JB wants PJ with the first group and Miles more with LaMelo.
It has been written...
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 902

Post#783 » by MugzZo » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:49 pm

If miles wins pj's spot is pj tradeable? Maybe for markenen spl?
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#784 » by DY_nasty » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:17 pm

MugzZo wrote:If miles wins pj's spot is pj tradeable? Maybe for markenen spl?

i hope we never trade anyone or for anyone based on preseason
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#785 » by Radu_Hornets » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:35 pm

DY_nasty wrote:

Thank you.

I understood this when we beat the defending champion Miami Heat during preseason.

Preseason means nothing and I don’t why, I have the feeling that PJ just doesn’t care enough about preseason to be 100% on the court.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#786 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:07 pm

Radu_Hornets wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:

Thank you.

I understood this when we beat the defending champion Miami Heat during preseason.

Preseason means nothing and I don’t why, I have the feeling that PJ just doesn’t care enough about preseason to be 100% on the court.

That would be unfortunate considering his starting spot is in jeopardy
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#787 » by DY_nasty » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:11 pm

Radu_Hornets wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:

Thank you.

There's stuff to take away - especially for second year guys and players looking to make their value clear to their own teams...

but trades? lol. no
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#788 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:15 pm

When the coach says players will have to earn minutes and that no one is guaranteed a starting spot, yeah, preseason matters. I really think Bridges deserves the reward. Some will say he benefited by facing second units but if that's an excuse then he was never really given a chance to earn minutes since his minutes vs. inferior competition don't really count. He dominated second units because he's a starting caliber PF. Maybe PJ would benefit from facing inferior competition on the second unit rather than getting spanked by starters, coming up empty and looking like doo doo.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#789 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:32 pm

Read on Twitter

What does this mean for Miles Bridges? Did he just earn a promotion?
It has been written...
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#790 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:56 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Read on Twitter

He should. Bridges grabbed 15 boards last game busting his ass. I dont think PJ had 15 boards the while preseason. Its inexcusable to come into camp out of shape when all you literally have to do is workout in the offseason.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#791 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:59 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:
Read on Twitter

He should. Bridges grabbed 15 boards last game busting his ass. I dont think PJ had 15 boards the while preseason. Its inexcusable to come into camp out of shape when all you literally have to do is workout in the offseason.

Miles is the better dribbler, better passer, better athlete, better rebounder.

Where does PJ have a clear edge over Miles? Shooting last year but Miles is the better foul shooter and obviously dedicated to improvement so that could change quickly. Miles is freaking SOLID. Reward the guy!
It has been written...
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,137

Post#792 » by Snidely FC » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:20 pm

no mystery to me Miles is the guy best suited to be on the end of Lamelo's exciting passes

Lamelo Ball = Miles Unleashed
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Post#793 » by _tijo_ » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:46 pm

The turnaround on this board on Miles Bridges is quite a sight to behold. I feel like the majority of people wanted to trade him away like a month ago, and now he's the clear starter and PJ is trash. After 4 freakin pre-season games. This board...
Who I woulda took:
2022: Duren | 2021: Bouknight, Jones | 2020: Ball | 2019: PJ | 2018: Porter Jr | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,147

Post#794 » by JMAC3 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:55 pm

_tijo_ wrote:The turnaround on this board on Miles Bridges is quite a sight to behold. I feel like the majority of people wanted to trade him away like a month ago, and now he's the clear starter and PJ is trash. After 4 freakin pre-season games. This board...

Exactly my view.

People flip flop back and forth after the littlest bit of success or struggle...
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#795 » by LofJ » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Yeah, recency bias is a real thing. It makes us dumber than we should be.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#796 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:27 pm

I feel the posters who wanted to ditch Miles for late round first value didn't assign appropriate weight to his work as a 4 going back to last season, extending through camp and preseason and fortified by praise from JB. It's difficult to isolate his stats to the 4 and the larger and more damning sample shows what he did as a 3.

I think we need to make an adjustment here. It's not about being irrationally down or up on Miles the player. It's about changing evaluation towards Miles as a 4.

If you missed JB praising Miles as a 4 last year on multiple occasions then it might appear the embrace of him now is spontaneous or reactionary to a small preseason sample. If you saw Miles as a miscast 4 last year then this preseason is an exclamation point on a more favorable forecast for him rooted in evaluations that predate preseason.

I feel like the conversation has shifted erratically to one where PJ's full year sample is being compared to 4 preseason games for Miles. So Miles' more outspoken supporters who want him to start are being framed as reactionary.

I think in the end we're left with surplus at the 4 because both Miles and PJ play better there. Miles is no more a 3 than PJ a 5.

So may the best man win the battle of minutes up for grabs at the 4 and let's embrace the idea that Miles is exclusively a 4. So there will always be comparisons to PJ and there will always be proposals that try to deal from a surplus to fill a need. Neither PJ nor Miles are untouchable. And thank God none of you are in a position to deal Miles for a late first.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#797 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:34 pm

Or better yet, Miles + LaMelo for pick 1!
It has been written...
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#798 » by HornetJail » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:00 pm

I would have easily done that to secure Wiseman. Obviously not the most popular opinion on the sub, but unless MIN wanted more, that would've been the move to make.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#799 » by yosemiteben » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:06 pm

If it takes being exactly a 4 and not a 5 or a 3 for you to play well, that's a problem. The NBA is not that position specific and values adaptability and multiple skillsets. That's especially so if you don't have any elite skills, which at this point I don't think either Miles or PJ have.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,039

Post#800 » by JDR720 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:07 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Charlotte Hornets