Game 2 : Detroit Pistons (0-1) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (1-0) - 7:00 PM

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Re: Game 2 : Detroit Pistons (0-1) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (1-0) - 7:00 PM 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:53 am

Pistons ready to pack it in. That 9-0 run at the end of the second overtime broke them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#22 » by afarmenian » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:02 am

Man Love was Brutal two more years of this is going to be rough. Doesnt really look like he cares much and is playing out the string until the checks stop coming. Drummond was awful until those clutch free throws.

You can tell Drummond has absolutely no feel for winning basketball on offense, now that his older and heavier he cant just jump over guys and he has no motor at all or awareness of his abilities. That said he is big and strong and he contributes with some real solid rebounding and offers some basket protection. He needs to just be told to do what Mcgee is doing and lay off the burgers and he will be around another 6 years.

Sexton is a walking bucket right now, what a turnaround from his rookie year. Garland looks just bigger and taller even though he probably just put on a little muscle. Gets the ball hopping around and neither looks like a complete liability on defense this backcourt could work.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#23 » by Stillwater » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:14 am

^ it takes a little longer for Veteran bigs esp oft injured ones like Love to get in game shape so he will be fine I dont agree about the notion he isnt interested or anything. Dre getting hacked was always going to happen in DET and he still got the boards.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#24 » by afarmenian » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:28 am

Stillwater wrote:^ it takes a little longer for Veteran bigs esp oft injured ones like Love to get in game shape so he will be fine I dont agree about the notion he isnt interested or anything. Dre getting hacked was always going to happen in DET and he still got the boards.

I try not to be reactionary after one game but I mean to me he has been jogging up and down the court since Lebron left, seems content with chucking threes and looking around when he misses bunnies. He is to us what Griffin is to Detroit.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by jbk1234 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:05 am

afarmenian wrote:Man Love was Brutal two more years of this is going to be rough. Doesnt really look like he cares much and is playing out the string until the checks stop coming. Drummond was awful until those clutch free throws.

You can tell Drummond has absolutely no feel for winning basketball on offense, now that his older and heavier he cant just jump over guys and he has no motor at all or awareness of his abilities. That said he is big and strong and he contributes with some real solid rebounding and offers some basket protection. He needs to just be told to do what Mcgee is doing and lay off the burgers and he will be around another 6 years.

Sexton is a walking bucket right now, what a turnaround from his rookie year. Garland looks just bigger and taller even though he probably just put on a little muscle. Gets the ball hopping around and neither looks like a complete liability on defense this backcourt could work.
Kevin Love was fourth among starters in FGAs, only 12, and last year, when he complained about it, people said that was a problem. Drummond took 21 shots, Garland took 14, Your walking bucket took 23 shots to go along with 3 assists and 4 turnovers.

Love probably pulled down six of the last seven defensive rebounds. The plus/minus numbers are what you'd expect. We won't beat good teams with this type of shot distribution.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#26 » by Harper4Ferry? » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:05 pm

Dre sealing his man on the break and cherry picking an easy dunk/assist for Garland should happen at least once a quarter. Otherwise, Dre should basically only score off of garbage collection. I can't believe how many inefficient plays we kept running for him.

Also, hopefully Garland will just start bombs away on some of the wide open 3point looks he's getting. We have 2 elite rebounders in there, may as well use them.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#27 » by Stillwater » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:41 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:Dre sealing his man on the break and cherry picking an easy dunk/assist for Garland should happen at least once a quarter. Otherwise, Dre should basically only score off of garbage collection. I can't believe how many inefficient plays we kept running for him.

Also, hopefully Garland will just start bombs away on some of the wide open 3point looks he's getting. We have 2 elite rebounders in there, may as well use them.
i guess but he wont be getting many open looks if those bombs start falling at a high clip when unguarded. So the real question is can he get himself open enough when hes dt or has the other teams best defender glued to him .
I think he is playing his cards right and since Sexton is taking attn away from him as well as others he just might be a starter in this league
esp with bail out bigs on the roster but its early and hes pretty much just been ignored up until now
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,380

Post#28 » by JonFromVA » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:53 pm

The Detroit announcers thought Andre was pressing playing back in Detroit. He did play better in the second half, especially when we made an effort to pass the ball to him in good position and he, Collin, and Darius got some huge steals.

Speaking of, I didn't double check, but DG may have set his career high for assists in the game with 12 and was a team high +19 and just 2 turnovers.

Isaac couldn't get anything going on offense, but continues to be our designated defender.

Collin had some lapses in judgement, but ended up 19 for 23 from the field. Wow. Imagine if/when he cleans those up?

Killian Hayes struggled and wasn't even used in the 2nd half. So, just a reminder playing point in the league at 19 is a hard even when for a 6'5 player.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by jbk1234 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:06 pm

JonFromVA wrote:The Detroit announcers thought Andre was pressing playing back in Detroit. He did play better in the second half, especially when we made an effort to pass the ball to him in good position and he, Collin, and Darius got some huge steals.

Speaking of, I didn't double check, but DG may have set his career high for assists in the game with 12 and was a team high +19 and just 2 turnovers.

Isaac couldn't get anything going on offense, but continues to be our designated defender.

Collin had some lapses in judgement, but ended up 19 for 23 from the field. Wow. Imagine if/when he cleans those up?

Killian Hayes struggled and wasn't even used in the 2nd half. So, just a reminder playing point in the league at 19 is a hard even when for a 6'5 player.
Sexton was 15 of 23 from the field and that was with a goaltend call. Before Plumlee fouled out, he couldn't finish anything in the second half. When the game gets tight, he still gets really predictable.

Drummond was definitely pressing his first game back in Detroit.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#30 » by Stillwater » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:40 pm

afarmenian wrote:
Stillwater wrote:^ it takes a little longer for Veteran bigs esp oft injured ones like Love to get in game shape so he will be fine I dont agree about the notion he isnt interested or anything. Dre getting hacked was always going to happen in DET and he still got the boards.

I try not to be reactionary after one game but I mean to me he has been jogging up and down the court since Lebron left, seems content with chucking threes and looking around when he misses bunnies. He is to us what Griffin is to Detroit.

I think he is being reduced in his role right now while JBB tries to see what he has etc. but mostly because the rust is real . Constantly relying on Love as a go to option really cannot be in the long term plans regardless but they should def utilize his ability to play at a high level as motivation for player development around him instead of asking him to step back
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#31 » by Stillwater » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:46 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:The Detroit announcers thought Andre was pressing playing back in Detroit. He did play better in the second half, especially when we made an effort to pass the ball to him in good position and he, Collin, and Darius got some huge steals.

Sexton was 15 of 23 from the field and that was with a goaltend call. Before Plumlee fouled out, he couldn't finish anything in the second half. When the game gets tight, he still gets really predictable.

Sexton looked stymied with the ball a couple times when the offense around him was gridlocked almost as if they expect him to do it alone... it's going to be a big adjustment for not only him but his teammates in those situations where we need good cutters to create for themselves off ball and give Sexton options outside of standing there and fighting his natural urge to score. He passed up multiple open 3s in the name of following the plan. I dont expect him to survive in this offense if he has to be completely unselfish to satisfy anyone. his skillset is score first and his defense and hustle has been solid.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,380

Post#32 » by JonFromVA » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Sexton looked stymied with the ball a couple times when the offense around him was gridlocked almost as if they expect him to do it alone... it's going to be a big adjustment for not only him but his teammates in those situations where we need good cutters to create for themselves off ball and give Sexton options outside of standing there and fighting his natural urge to score. He passed up multiple open 3s in the name of following the plan. I dont expect him to survive in this offense if he has to be completely unselfish to satisfy anyone. his skillset is score first and his defense and hustle has been solid.

The more Collin plays decisively and demonstrates he will see teammates and give up the ball, the more they'll move, trust him and get him back the ball. Plenty of simple things they can do to make his life easier like for instance Boston did with IT and those dribble handoffs.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers