ImageImageImage

Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,119

Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#1 » by Arsenal » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:13 pm

Enough with the "Offseason" threads. The season has started so let's get the general discussion going here.

First general theme as the season starts: It appears the braintrust wants to see this team in action for a few weeks before reconsidering a James Harden trade, including the possibility of putting Ben Simmons on the table.

My take is that we should do everything possible to boost value of our non-Ben trade assets through the end of January. E.g. if Tobias and Shake are putting up a combined 40 ppg with good efficiency, Rockets may cave and let them serve as the foundation for a Harden deal instead of Ben.

But if they're playing like that, we'll probably be damn good and the team may not want to make a major move.
Arsenal
RealGM

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#2 » by Arsenal » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:18 pm

Re: Game against NY Knicks tonight.

I'd prefer to rest Embiid either tonight or tomorrow at Cleveland. We should be able to win both games without him and need to not wear him out in this compressed season. That's also why we got Dwight. He's more than capable of handling the load. It also gives an opportunity for more usage for Tobi, Shake, etc.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#3 » by youngcrev » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:26 pm

Arsenal wrote:Re: Game against NY Knicks tonight.

I'd prefer to rest Embiid either tonight or tomorrow at Cleveland. We should be able to win both games without him and need to not wear him out in this compressed season. That's also why we got Dwight. He's more than capable of handling the load. It also gives an opportunity for more usage for Tobi, Shake, etc.

They probably will, or at least put him on some type of minute restriction. Would be nice if we could just crush them and have the 4th quarter not matter, but that's not how the Sixers roll.
6ers83
Senior
And1: 195

Post#4 » by 6ers83 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:27 pm

Arsenal wrote:Re: Game against NY Knicks tonight.

We are not winning in Cleveland tomorrow after playing tonight. Do we ever win in Cleveland??
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#5 » by Arsenal » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:31 pm

We're better this year. I expect us to win both games if Embiid plays in both. If it was my decision, I'd sit him tomorrow against CLE. That gives him 3 days rest between tonight and the game against TOR on Tuesday.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#6 » by 76ciology » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:49 pm

If Sixers drags this harden thing..

Harden’s value decline (age and becoming more of a 1 year rental) while we can see how good really are Maxey and Shake.

Nets also looks like they dont need to do the Harden trade.

That’s how I look at it.

The risk is a team like the Nuggets or Celts who seems to be having trouble may be open to put Murray or Brown on the table.

But it’s not that easy because Woj and Shams would just leak whats on the table and could make some “awkwardness” for the teams who put their key guys on the table
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#7 » by Arsenal » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:56 pm

76ciology wrote:If Sixers drags this harden thing..

Harden’s value decline (age and becoming more of a 1 year rental) while we can see how good really are Maxey and Shake.

That’s how I look at it.

The risk is a team like the Nuggets or Celts who seems to be having trouble may be open to put Murray or Brown on the table.

But it’s not that easy because Woj and Shams would just leak whats on the table and could make some “awkwardness” for the teams who put their key guys on the table

If the Rockets really want Simmons more than anyone else, they'll give us the last crack at a deal before pulling the trigger anywhere else. Morey knows he can safely wait them out.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#8 » by the_process » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:56 pm

76ciology wrote:If Sixers drags this harden thing..

That’s how I look at it.

And Morey needs to be the one leaking that info to try and suppress the market.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#9 » by 76ciology » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Love that howard eskin tweet. This guy is so funny :lol:

Morey man.. this guy lies a lot and i love it.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#10 » by Arsenal » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:51 pm

We should sit Jo tonight but I don't think we're going to. We can beat Cleveland without him.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#11 » by 76ciology » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:44 am

Arsenal wrote:We should sit Jo tonight but I don't think we're going to. We can beat Cleveland without him.

Welcome to the “False Prophets Club”.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#12 » by Arsenal » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:46 am

76ciology wrote:
Arsenal wrote:We should sit Jo tonight but I don't think we're going to. We can beat Cleveland without him.

Welcome to the “false prophet club”.

I still support sitting Jo because we would have lost anyway. Better to rest him in a game we're destined to lose! :lol:
76ciology
RealGM

Post#13 » by 76ciology » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:12 am

Arsenal wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Welcome to the “false prophet club”.

I still support sitting Jo because we would have lost anyway. Better to rest him in a game we're destined to lose! :lol:

To be fair you said “can beat Cleveland” and not “will beat cleveland” hahaha
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,999

Post#14 » by eyeatoma » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:31 am

Arsenal wrote:Enough with the "Offseason" threads. The season has started so let's get the general discussion going here.

First general theme as the season starts: It appears the braintrust wants to see this team in action for a few weeks before reconsidering a James Harden trade, including the possibility of putting Ben Simmons on the table.

My take is that we should do everything possible to boost value of our non-Ben trade assets through the end of January. E.g. if Tobias and Shake are putting up a combined 40 ppg with good efficiency, Rockets may cave and let them serve as the foundation for a Harden deal instead of Ben.

But if they're playing like that, we'll probably be damn good and the team may not want to make a major move.

We should add a poll.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#15 » by Arsenal » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:23 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Enough with the "Offseason" threads. The season has started so let's get the general discussion going here.

We should add a poll.

For what? Beard trade?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#16 » by 76ciology » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:25 pm

Arsenal wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

We should add a poll.

For what? Beard trade?

No.

Poll between short term contender or long term mediocrity.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,999

Post#17 » by eyeatoma » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:34 pm

Arsenal wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

We should add a poll.

For what? Beard trade?

Yeah
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#18 » by Arsenal » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:08 am

No Kork popping for 2 weeks because of injury. Time for Matisse to stake his claim!
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#19 » by Arsenal » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:06 am

We should target Blake Griffin in a Tobias trade. Only 1 year left on his deal w/a player option. He may even opt out this upcoming summer, which would be great.

He's also embraced the role of a volume 3PT shooter, which is obviously what we need in Tobias' spot.

Just not sure we could get him without adding too many assets to Tobi.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#20 » by VDT » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:34 am

Griffin is a terrible contract and a bad fit. We dont need to get bigger. He is slower than Tobias and a bigger liability defensively.

He is also rapidly declining. What is left now is not a very good player and that's before taking into account his horrendous contract.

It's also almost a certainty he will get injured during the year.

And he s not opting out, dont kid yourself. No one is giving him anything close to what he is getting now.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers