ImageImageImageImageImage

Andrew Wiggins one of Warriors' 'core four' players, Bob Myers says

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: Andrew Wiggins one of Warriors' 'core four' players, Bob Myers says 

Post#201 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:58 pm

cpower wrote:I've followed Wiggins long enough to say he is the bust of the decade...He may be a solid role player if he re-focus on this defense and just put up a few shots a game within the flow..but he is never going to be like that. He does not know what to do with bastketball, he dribbles for 5 secs then he jacks up a long 2...I feel like I am watching Vince Carter playing in 1999.. this league has changed so much that there is no place for iso ball unless you can make play for others and shoot 3s well. Wiggins is not going to survive much longer once he turns like 27..

Anthony Bennet and Markelly Fultz are WAY WAY WAY ahead of Wiggins in bust rankings.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#202 » by FNQ » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:59 pm

little known fact: after he said this Myers honked his red nose, sprayed the reporter with water that came from his trick flower, then made his getaway in a tiny Volkswagen with 40 other clowns
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#203 » by lars_rosenberg » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:50 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
cpower wrote:I've followed Wiggins long enough to say he is the bust of the decade...He may be a solid role player if he re-focus on this defense and just put up a few shots a game within the flow..but he is never going to be like that. He does not know what to do with bastketball, he dribbles for 5 secs then he jacks up a long 2...I feel like I am watching Vince Carter playing in 1999.. this league has changed so much that there is no place for iso ball unless you can make play for others and shoot 3s well. Wiggins is not going to survive much longer once he turns like 27..

Anthony Bennet and Markelly Fultz are WAY WAY WAY ahead of Wiggins in bust rankings.

Bennet yes, but Fultz is a better player than Wiggins right now. He's actually a decent starter.
Also, expectations for Wiggins were huge, he was hyped as the next LeBron. Fultz was not as hyped.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#204 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:51 pm

Myers a clown who thought DLo is a good fit on this team...dude doesn't even understand his own team/system, guy lucked into a roster with Steph/Klay/Dray and the rest is history
MarxyLebronist
Senior
And1: 330

Post#205 » by MarxyLebronist » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:05 pm

MarxyLebronist wrote:Obviously franchise fans have to determine what a player means to them, or what they will forgive and how they will rationalize/positively spin any commonly discussed issues. It's sort of like how so many fans have various things they don't forgive about Lebron (though his contract is never in question of course). Wiggins is sort of like other previous maxed players who were maxed for all sorts of non basketball reasons, and now their perfectly useful NBA pro athleticism and abilities get swept under the rug a bit. I guess it's just the nature of the salary cap nerd ball era. Spreadsheets and clever manipulations thereof seem to be the focus all too often. Wish they'd do away with the cap and see how badly teams hamper their own success spending however they'd care to. But anyway, I really liked that idea about re-ranking that draft, since it was so very deep, and thought I'd take a stab at some tiers as others mentioned. These are in no order, only in groups.

1-10: Jokic, Nurkić, Bogdanović, Embiid, Jerami Grant, Gordon, TJ Warren, Gary Harris, Dinwiddie, Capela
11-15: Smart, Hood, Wiggins, Randle, LaVine (another bad contract now probably)... really want Torrey Craig here, too, but already at 15! (he was undrafted)

Thoughts on others I didn't mention deserving a spot?
EDIT, Here's the draft list: https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2014.html

So actually, stuff like VORP makes this easier. Wiggins would rank 24th by that measure and, given that contract and his #1 status, would make him an unqualified bust to date no matter how many weights or BALCO "supplements" he hits. Here's hoping something useful comes out of him at some point.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#206 » by Phase 3 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:45 pm

Kerr referenced the core yesterday as Curry, Klay, Dray...and now Wiseman.

Didn’t take long for Wiggins to fall out of the core 4 lol.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#207 » by sonnyhill » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:58 pm

As a third option on offense, Wiggins is more than serviceable (think "poor man's Harrison Barnes"). As the second option on offense after Curry, Wiggins looks like "Harrison Barnes with Downs Syndrome."

Most disturbing about Wiggins is his inability to bring any intensity on the defensive end of the floor and not battle for contested rebounds.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#208 » by Mylie10 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:34 pm

You guys know that teams try to say positive things about their guys right? Especially in the off-season.

It’s called prudent
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#209 » by Little Digger » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:57 pm

2 fffffing games

Ridiculously ridiculous

Steph is a fraud

Dray is washed up

Wiggins can’t improve

Oubre is horrible
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#210 » by Mylie10 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:03 am

And the D’Lo trade, was for a salary slot. Not because Myers thought he was a great fit.

I get protecting the slot for a possible shot at Giannis, but not sure I’d have gone that route.

Parlayed that into Wiggins because of the pick and the salary protection. Great asset added to a bust contract, but maintained the salary slot. Options.

What if Kawhi tells the Clippers he wants to go to the Warriors? Need that contract and those picks. Doubt that would happen but makes it possible.

At the time of the Wiggins deal, I would have preferred a Covington move and hopefully some other pieces. Covington would fit nicely and his contract is really good for us. But it kills the salary slot unless you are willing to trade Klay or Draymond.

So there is more context to all of this than Myers is stupid
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#211 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:07 pm

clyde21 wrote:Myers a clown who thought DLo is a good fit on this team...dude doesn't even understand his own team/system, guy lucked into a roster with Steph/Klay/Dray and the rest is history

You know it's his job to lie to the press right?
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#213 » by Little Digger » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:15 am

Core 5

Read on Twitter
?s=21
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#214 » by azwfan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:43 am

Little Digger wrote:Core 5

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Core 6 (Cunningham)
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,654

Post#215 » by Coxy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:10 pm

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,654

Post#216 » by Coxy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:21 pm

Read on Twitter
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#217 » by FNQ » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:21 pm

Damn that's cold..
Spoiler:
He simply left D'Angelo Russell behind to lighten the load in the getaway van.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#218 » by Samurai » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:58 pm

Article seems pretty brutal but I'm not sure I can find anything in there that is flat out wrong either. Offensively Wiggins is thriving as the #1 option with our second unit guys; he knows he's the man in that group and acts aggressively and decisively. And "aggressively" isn't a word that has been used to describe him throughout his career. On the first unit he is more tentative, still trying to figure out how he fits in with Steph and avoiding the wrath of Draymond, but you can see steps towards becoming more comfortable each game. And he really seems to thrive taking on the role of a defensive stopper assigned to whomever the most dangerous wing the other team has. If I were nitpicking, I'd like to see his rebounding and assists tick a bit higher (both were higher last season) but the way he has been playing recently has been more than solid and more than I expected. Hope he keeps it up!
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#219 » by vagelis » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:46 pm

Watching the following highlights from the game against Lakers I think that Wiggins has changed his open 3s shooting motion.
He has started to jump a little bit and this seems effective. If I remember well he shot the open 3s standing in the ground and this made his shot to go in a straight line.
I think this change will help him

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#220 » by FNQ » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:04 pm

vagelis wrote:Watching the following highlights from the game against Lakers I think that Wiggins has changed his open 3s shooting motion.
He has started to jump a little bit and this seems effective. If I remember well he shot the open 3s standing in the ground and this made his shot to go in a straight line.
I think this change will help him

Will admit that his shooting results are better. Shot is still kinda flat for someone without a ton of accuracy history, but dont want to look a gift horse in the mouth. Hope he keeps it up

Return to Golden State Warriors