ImageImageImage

Who Is The Weakest Starter On This Team?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Re: Who Is The Weakest Starter On This Team? 

Post#21 » by Teffer10 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:29 pm

The Mavs actions on Powell epitomize Einstein's definition of insanity.
The guy is 29.5 years old yet they keep giving him heavy minutes thinking that things will change for the good.

If last night didn't flip on the Mavs FO lightbulb, I don't know what will.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#22 » by fuller4379 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:26 am

Powell. Not worth $11 million per year. I thought it was a bad contract the day they signed it. He was a below average player before the injury. I thought of him as a league minimum contribution.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,023

Post#23 » by daoneandonly » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:59 pm

fuller4379 wrote:Powell. Not worth $11 million per year. I thought it was a bad contract the day they signed it. He was a below average player before the injury. I thought of him as a league minimum contribution.

Exactly this. The FO's obsession with him is just inexplicable.
guille_4
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by guille_4 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:01 pm

In the past 3 seasons IMO he's been a pretty solid player, he's had very solid On/Off statistics.

Whilst I also thought $11M per year was an overpay, I don't agree with thinking of him as a league minimum contributor. He's definitely a rotation player and although he's a weak starter, IMO he's a solid bench piece.

I think something around $7M-$8M would have been fair value for his contribution at the time his contract was signed.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,023

Post#25 » by daoneandonly » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:43 pm

guille_4 wrote:In the past 3 seasons IMO he's been a pretty solid player, he's had very solid On/Off statistics.

Whilst I also thought $11M per year was an overpay, I don't agree with thinking of him as a league minimum contributor. He's definitely a rotation player and although he's a weak starter, IMO he's a solid bench piece.

I think something around $7M-$8M would have been fair value for his contribution at the time his contract was signed.

I think Powell deserved the contract DFS got, 4 mil a year. DFS and Maxi deserved the 8 mil a year Maxi got.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#26 » by fuller4379 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:47 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
guille_4 wrote:In the past 3 seasons IMO he's been a pretty solid player, he's had very solid On/Off statistics.

I think Powell deserved the contract DFS got, 4 mil a year. DFS and Maxi deserved the 8 mil a year Maxi got.

Maybe league minimum is an exaggeration. He is a good bench/role player, but $11 million is too much. I agree with you that somewhere in the $4 million range is probably what he is worth and what another team would probably pay for him. Hell, McBuckets got 3 years and 22 million from Indiana.
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#27 » by deb » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:56 pm

fuller4379 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Maybe league minimum is an exaggeration. He is a good bench/role player, but $11 million is too much. I agree with you that somewhere in the $4 million range is probably what he is worth and what another team would probably pay for him. Hell, McBuckets got 3 years and 22 million from Indiana.

Before the injury he was definitely worth more than 4 million per year, he still is. An actual rotational piece that you can get at that price is a bargain and a no brainer. 11 per year for four years was too much before the injury though and is terrible after it...
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Teffer10 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:16 pm

deb wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Before the injury he was definitely worth more than 4 million per year, he still is. An actual rotational piece that you can get at that price is a bargain and a no brainer. 11 per year for four years was too much before the injury though and is terrible after it...

I thought Powell was a MLE player at the time and was absolutely shocked when he got basically double that.
I also wasn't sure who they were bidding against because there didn't appear to be any interest for him around the league...at least not anywhere near that price.

I also think it is debatable as to whether he is a rotation caliber player on a championship caliber team now.
An argument could be made that KP, Maxi, Johnson, WCS, Boban and DFS are all better players at the either the 4 or 5 justifying Powell as #4 on the depth chart at both positions.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,993

Post#29 » by Mr B » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:19 am

Whoever is playing center until KP gets back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Dallas Mavericks