ImageImageImage

Odds of robert williams breaking out

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

triple_threat
Veteran
And1: 2,045

Odds of robert williams breaking out 

Post#1 » by triple_threat » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:10 am

We all heard of his "slip ups" comment, but given his competition of only theis and Thompson, one would think he has a shot of breaking out. His per minute stays have always been good.

Given that he is only 23 and played 60 plus games, isn't he talented enough to justify allowing him to play through some mistakes in order to develop him? Or does he have no hope IQ wise?
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Re: Odds of robert williams breaking out 

Post#2 » by GoGreen » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:15 am

Doesn't seem to have his head straight. All the talent in the world, but idk if he'll ever "get it"
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#3 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:21 am

He seems to have pretty good court vision on offense.

That gives me some optimism about him learning it on defense as well.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#4 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:25 am

100 pct if healthy.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#5 » by Ernest » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:31 am

He already looks a lot better than he did when we first got him. He's not jumping into the rafters at every pump fake. The problem with all our bigs is that they are not really threats to score much in the post. So we play a lot of minutes with Grant williams as the 5 or with no real 5 when we can get away with it. I expect that RWill plays in most games this year and that should help build his confidence.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,961

Post#6 » by Shak_Celts » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:58 am

He will step it up this season if for nothing else, he wants to get a sizable check! If he's healthy, I think he will force Steven's hand eventually, gotta let him play.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#7 » by Dogen » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:44 am

OP dareth to post Time Lord's terrestrial identity in all lower case?

Then worldlings cast aspersions doubting His ascension to the pantheon of NBA immortals???

FOOLS!!!

Hey you! Can we come together?
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#8 » by OldCeltics » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:47 am

Huge fan of his, but come on :D
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#9 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:58 am

We will only see Timelord’s best form during his contract year I’m afraid.
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,673

Post#10 » by Tatumfor2 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:16 am

Win it for Al!!! :pray:
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#11 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:35 pm

Almost none. He's an average backup with a shot to be a below average starter someday.
dans1230
Rookie
And1: 1,159

Post#12 » by dans1230 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:13 pm

He is a better on ball defender then low post defender. Im not sure what he will "break out" of but i think hes carved in a role on this team. As confidence increases ( both his and brads) ill be interested to see what he can do.
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#13 » by Dave_From_NB » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:37 pm

The title of the thread could have been "Odds of Robert Williams Breaking Out", or "Odds of Robert Williams being Healthy". Albeit a short one, it feels like his entire career he's behind everyone else in conditioning and timing because he's perpetually coming back from injury.

I've got confidence that he's got enough upside to be a complimentary starter, in the way that Perk wasn't a star but was good enough with talent at other positions to win a championship.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,966

Post#14 » by darrendaye » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:57 pm

His playing time is also somewhat influenced by the offense. If Theis can't get his 3pt shot down, Brad will eventually go away from the 2 big starting lineup. If the bench struggles to score, Brad more apt to use Grant Williams as small-ball 5.

I'm not overly confident of a "break-out" with the shortened off-season. But I'm hoping to see him get consistent playing time and look to see if he becomes more assertive on offense with the ball in his hands. I loved him taking (and making) that 19ft elbow jumper in the Pacers game and would like to see him get up an attempt or 2 a game. I don't imagine he will attempt many face up drives this year, but, he definitely has the building blocks to be a threat there.

Just hope he stays healthy this year.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#15 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:58 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:We will only see Timelord’s best form during his contract year I’m afraid.

Sounds about right.

I don't doubt that Williams will be a useful enough big at his PEAK. But that might be 5 years from now. Bigs tend to take a long time. Bigs with talent and attitude issues even longer. Tyson Chandler, JaVale McGee, Hassan Whiteside, etc. You can't pick this sort of player and expect to rely on them. You pick them up after they've failed somewhere else. And we're the first team they fail for.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#16 » by JHTruth » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:07 pm

24istheLAW wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:We will only see Timelord’s best form during his contract year I’m afraid.

Sounds about right.

I don't doubt that Williams will be a useful enough big at his PEAK. But that might be 5 years from now. Bigs tend to take a long time. Bigs with talent and attitude issues even longer. Tyson Chandler, JaVale McGee, Hassan Whiteside, etc. You can't pick this sort of player and expect to rely on them. You pick them up after they've failed somewhere else. And we're the first team they fail for.

Depends on what you mean by "break out". Become an all-star? Starter? Or a very important part of the rotation?

He is extremely talented. Probably a solid 13-10 guy in his prime. And do you need more than that? Theis averaged 9-7 in his "career year" and everyone is talking about him leaving for a big contract next year. :lol: :lol:

I don't see why Rob couldn't be a the C of the Tatum-Brown era. The MLE is about the most Danny will pay for any C and Rob seems to be in line for that type of payday. Theis will probably move on and Tristan looks like a questionable signing.

I like his chances
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#17 » by JHTruth » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:10 pm

Ernest wrote:He already looks a lot better than he did when we first got him. He's not jumping into the rafters at every pump fake. The problem with all our bigs is that they are not really threats to score much in the post. So we play a lot of minutes with Grant williams as the 5 or with no real 5 when we can get away with it. I expect that RWill plays in most games this year and that should help build his confidence.

Grant Williams is one of the worst players in the NBA that actually gets mins through through the first three games. Long way to go to see what we have in Grant WIlliams
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#18 » by jmr07019 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:30 pm

I’m hoping Rob can “break out” enough that we are comfortable losing Theis in the offseason.
Show Love Spread Love
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,835

Post#19 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:16 pm

RW3 needs to “break out” defensively and health wise
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#20 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:32 pm

I can absolutely see by the end of the year a scenario where Theis has a fairly limited role and our C minutes are primarily TT and Timelord. Reasonable best-case this year for Williams in that scenario?

24 MPG, 11 PPG, 7 RPG, 2 BPG, 1.5 APG, 2 SPG, 70% FG%, 70% FT%

It might be "messier" than Stevens likes to see - more broken defensive sets, but also more "wow" plays that give us 2nd chance buckets or extra possessions that wouldn't happen without him out there. I think that is my main concern, Stevens values consistency over everything else. He'd rather a guy who is worse but very consistent get minutes than a guy who has highs & lows but averages out to a better player. I get it - with the consistent guy you know what you are getting, but it also caps our ceiling.

We are not a title favorite and as such we should actually be trying to find ways to increase variance in our outcomes. Lineups, players and styles of play where if they hit right in a 7-game series, we can win against anyone. We know what giving Theis 20+ MPG looks like against the best of the best.

Return to Boston Celtics