ImageImageImage

The Jarrett Culver Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#701 » by KGdaBom » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Beasley, Culver and Ant all looking good for the SG/SF spots. This causes a problem for the D'Lo at SG with Rubio at PG. Too many good players. What a problem to have.
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Post#702 » by DaMplsKid » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:01 pm

I know it's early in the season but I hope Culver has developed a 3pt shot. Because without this I don't see how he fits with the rest of our team. He shouldn't be the point forward bring the ball up the court and needs to play off our play makers we have (Dlo, Towns, Ant) for that to be effective he HAS to be able to knock down open 3's.

I would love to see him in the starting line up over Okogie.

The future should be Dlo, Ant, Culver, Defense, Towns. I think Culver and hopefully Ant play enough defense to complement Dlo/Towns.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#703 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:44 pm

Man, if Culver's improvement is for real...especially as a long 2 way wing player... that changes our trajectory big time assuming Edwards becomes a solid rotation wing or better as well.

Beasley/Culver/Edwards at the 2/3 with some time from D lo in two-PG lineups and Okogie is awesome. Even better if Nowell develops.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#704 » by Jedzz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:28 pm

He's a PG again. You saw it last night.
NattaNerNutta
Freshman
And1: 48

Post#705 » by NattaNerNutta » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:48 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Beasley, Culver and Ant all looking good for the SG/SF spots. This causes a problem for the D'Lo at SG with Rubio at PG. Too many good players. What a problem to have.

I'm still in the line of thinking we may very well see a Beasley (package) for Gordon deal before the deadline. Especially if Edwards and Culver continue improving.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#706 » by urinesane » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:37 am

Thread goes dead as Culver plays surprisingly well and looks like he's made a lot of improvements since March.

If you look at a lot of his rookie game, most of it comes down to him playing at a major disadvantage. In college he could use his size to his advantage (or at least be on a level playing field), but in the NBA everyone was suddenly faster AND stronger. If you look at Culver in the NCAA tourney, he's a very good basketball player, but it's difficult for most to have success at the NBA level before their body is developed more.

Culver seems to have made his body more of an asset rather than a liability which can be seen in his game between this year and last. As last year he had trouble moving anyone with his body, he often met a wall of a player and had to take tougher shots from further away. Now he can withstand some contact and finish through it, hit FTs, and his 3pt shot has zero hesitation and looks super smooth (vs his rookie year where it seemed more like a launch than an energy efficient jumpsot).

The guy's body is adapting to the game (due to him working like a maniac in the offseason) and he is starting to look more like his college self than in his rookie year (which makes sense since his body is much better built for it after adding 10-15lbs of muscle).

Nobody is untradeable, but now you need to get something pretty valuable to part with him this season. The ability to improve this much from one year to the next is incredibly valuable to a team in our situation, but I think most valuable by keeping him until his game levels off and you know what he can be. Culver's resolve to improve from March (when he rented a house with a gym so he could practice his jumpshot) is something that should be encouraged and rewarded by a franchise.

I think we are fortunate to have Culver on this roster and should give him time to keep learning/improving. He could still be a special player, just because he struggled his rookie year doesn't mean people should write him off.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#707 » by urinesane » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:55 am

Culver End of College:

Plays smart and methodically. Has good touch and solid instincts on both ends. Uses his length and size well against college sized players.

Culver Rookie year:

Notice how he can't back anyone down or move them physically and the highlights are often difficult shots he had to take that went in. Otherwise his 3pt shot is more of a launch (which was probably a combination of form, pressure, and lack of energy due to more physical demands of the game), while playing a new role on a cluster f*k team for most of the season.

Culver This Year:

This year he is bigger and more confident in his shot, he can back people down, withstand contact while driving (while giving himself the ability to score easier baskets), and his 3pt shot is taken with the mentality of a calm killer. He's more methodical in everything he's doing and isn't letting the other team speed him up.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#708 » by Dewey » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:09 am

urinesane wrote:Thread goes dead as Culver plays surprisingly well and looks like he's made a lot of improvements since March.

If you look at a lot of his rookie game, most of it comes down to him playing at a major disadvantage. In college he could use his size to his advantage (or at least be on a level playing field), but in the NBA everyone was suddenly faster AND stronger. If you look at Culver in the NCAA tourney, he's a very good basketball player, but it's difficult for most to have success at the NBA level before their body is developed more.

Culver seems to have made his body more of an asset rather than a liability which can be seen in his game between this year and last. As last year he had trouble moving anyone with his body, he often met a wall of a player and had to take tougher shots from further away. Now he can withstand some contact and finish through it, hit FTs, and his 3pt shot has zero hesitation and looks super smooth (vs his rookie year where it seemed more like a launch than an energy efficient jumpsot).

The guy's body is adapting to the game (due to him working like a maniac in the offseason) and he is starting to look more like his college self than in his rookie year (which makes sense since his body is much better built for it after adding 10-15lbs of muscle).

Nobody is untradeable, but now you need to get something pretty valuable to part with him this season. The ability to improve this much from one year to the next is incredibly valuable to a team in our situation, but I think most valuable by keeping him until his game levels off and you know what he can be. Culver's resolve to improve from March (when he rented a house with a gym so he could practice his jumpshot) is something that should be encouraged and rewarded by a franchise.

I think we are fortunate to have Culver on this roster and should give him time to keep learning/improving. He could still be a special player, just because he struggled his rookie year doesn't mean people should write him off.

Haha ya he’s been thrown under the bus by many - who’ve gone silent. Work in progress buts he made the effort to get better
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#709 » by Rookie-Mistake » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:44 am

Bust. What's concerning is that whatever forula Rosas has running he has used it on Edwards as well.

Alarm bells.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#710 » by Krapinsky » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:27 pm

Saw a stat today that said Culver has initiated the pick and roll 16 times this year yielding ZERO points. Amazing. Shooting 22% from 3 and 54% from the line. So bad.

Unfortunately he will continue to earn minutes so the front office can justify picking him #5 over all despite the fact that there are probably a half a dozen G-leaguers that are just as young and could out perform him.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie

Post#711 » by Rookie-Mistake » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:50 am

It's really disappointing that he hasn't improved his free throw percentage.. he had aver 200 days to improve it and it's just the same.. what a dud of a draft pick

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
WiggyWorld
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#712 » by WiggyWorld » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:05 pm

There’s no way he’s not out of the league in 2-3 years. He’s legitimately terrible at most offensive skills. He can’t finish through contact, he can’t shoot FTs (let alone 3s or midrange jumpers), he’s not really a good passer, etc. I just don’t see how he can turn it around at this point, which sucks because he’s probably not going to net the wolves any assets in a trade. :banghead:
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie

Post#713 » by Rookie-Mistake » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:59 am

Beasley out for the season. Its now or never for him to show something...
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#714 » by Baseline81 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:46 pm

Did the Wolves pick up his option? His $6.4M next year could be better used elsewhere.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,849

Post#715 » by life_saver » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:15 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Did the Wolves pick up his option? His $6.4M next year could be better used elsewhere.

option is for 4th year which will be 2022-23 season, not the next season
Magoose
Junior
And1: 141

Post#716 » by Magoose » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:42 pm

I'm ready to eat some crow for my take on Culver at the start of this season. I still believe that he worked on the right things, he got significantly more upper body strength and his shot mechanics look waaay better than in his rookie season.

However, besides his ballhandling the biggest issue is his confidence (or lack thereof). In that regard he's the anti-Ant. I think the ceiling for him if he gets his shot going is to become an elite roleplayer, borderline starter a la a more athletic Danny Green which is not what you have in mind for your #6 FRP that you traded up for.

With Beasley out he hopefully gets more burn to boost his value and his confidence.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#717 » by Jedzz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:52 pm

life_saver wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:Did the Wolves pick up his option? His $6.4M next year could be better used elsewhere.

option is for 4th year which will be 2022-23 season, not the next season

Yes they picked up his 3rd year already, long ago. Well can't remember if it was october or right after the draft or what.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,241

Post#718 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:06 pm

Yes. They picked up his 6.4M 3rd year option on December 28th (I believe that was the deadline).

His 8.1M 4th year option has to be picked up or declined before next season begins, so we'll know a lot more about how Rosas views Culver at that point (if he's still on the team).
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,348

Post#719 » by Calinks » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:17 am

He has another chance to find sometihng. He's in a though spot, he needs more minutes to show something but he hasn't been playing well enough to get minutes. Maybe with Beasley out they will pull a Juancho and throw him a couple starts to try and get his confidence up. His defense would be welcome and maybe he can find a grove.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,966

Post#720 » by Nick K » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:56 am

Calinks wrote:He has another chance to find sometihng. He's in a though spot, he needs more minutes to show something but he hasn't been playing well enough to get minutes. Maybe with Beasley out they will pull a Juancho and throw him a couple starts to try and get his confidence up. His defense would be welcome and maybe he can find a grove.

I think that's right. They see him everyday and how hard he works. I think they have to give him one more year after this one and give him every opportunity to succeed.

That's the problem drafting these young guys. It takes some guys a lot longer than others.

After looking at some Culver video from Texas Tech the guy looked great. He could shoot it and score in a variety of ways. He averaged almost 19 a game his sophomore year. There is a player in there somewhere.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves