ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#181 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:07 am

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,211

Post#182 » by bisme37 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:59 pm

Read on Twitter
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#183 » by 31to6 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:06 pm

We need this kid to be somebody.

First impression is that he has SG size (more than SF).
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,674

Post#184 » by Celtic Esquire » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:35 pm

31to6 wrote:We need this kid to be somebody.

Start this kid at SG instead of Javonte Green.

He'll get a ton of open looks playing with Tatum and Brown, but knowing Brad, Nesmith will play in 2-3 spurts and get pulled after missing one defensive assignment. :banghead:
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#185 » by greenroom31 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:45 pm

Celtic Esquire wrote:

He'll get a ton of open looks playing with Tatum and Brown, but knowing Brad, Nesmith will play in 2-3 spurts and get pulled after missing one defensive assignment. :banghead:

Freshmen don't get to play big minutes here at Stevens University (Tatum and Smart are the lone rookies to get > 20mpg since Brad became coach). Doesn't bode well for Nesmith to beat your prediction above.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,219

Post#186 » by itrsteve » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Celtic Esquire wrote:

Blows my mind that we’re not using him in this manner.
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,674

Post#187 » by Celtic Esquire » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:40 pm

itrsteve wrote:
Celtic Esquire wrote:

That is just how Stevens coaches. If you are not a high lottery pick (i.e., the two Jays) expect only to play in short bursts and blowouts because Stevens REALLY REALLY REALLY wants to win those early season games against teams like the Cavs and the Pistons.

Forget about giving rookies a chance to learn and play through their mistakes because it's all about winning. AMIRITE?
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,857

Post#188 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:17 pm

It's only his first 2 games, but Nesmith's footwork on the perimeter looked awful. He's not very athletic, if he's playing with bad technique on top of being a below-average mover for an NBA wing, he'll be a turnstile. That has to improve.

I think he'll take care of it. He interviews like an accountable and bright kid, his demeanor on the court is good, there's no red flags. But it's unfair to expect him to just step into the rotation. He's a 21 year old rookie!
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,781

Post#189 » by flintsky21 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:28 pm

Celtic Esquire wrote:
itrsteve wrote:
Celtic Esquire wrote:

That is just how Stevens coaches. If you are not a high lottery pick (i.e., the two Jays) expect only to play in short bursts and blowouts because Stevens REALLY REALLY REALLY wants to win those early season games against teams like the Cavs and the Pistons.

Forget about giving rookies a chance to learn and play through their mistakes because it's all about winning. AMIRITE?

Imagine if for some reason the Celtics got rookie Jokic. He'll never progress into what he is now because Brad would pull him out immediately after a defensive booboo.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#190 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:03 am

Anyone else somewhat concerned the lottery pick can’t even take off his warmups?

Two years in a row the #14 pick is useless, although Romeo was more due to injury.

I’m still holding out hope but Brad has NEVER shown to be able to utilize a designated shooter like Nesmith in his offense. He could have Redick or Duncan Robinson and those two wouldn’t sniff the production they currently have because he doesn’t use shooters coming off pindowns or screens.

This is exactly why I wasn’t a big fan of the pick and fit in this offense. Still hopeful it will change this season
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#191 » by ParticleMan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:53 am

a bit worrying, yeah, but there was almost no preseason for him with the injury and he doesn't have the hoops instincts of pritchard so not surprised he's slow getting up to speed. so long as he stays healthy i think he'll get into the rotation by the ASB.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#192 » by SMTBSI » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:18 am

No real offseason or training camp, barely a preseason, thrown right into the deep end against the top of the East. I think that's just a recipe for failure for a raw young player.

If we don't see him at all in the next three games against MEM and DET, then I might grumble a bit.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#193 » by Scoonie » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:20 pm

My guess is that CBS doesn't believe that Nesmith is ready defensively to play any real minutes yet. Hopefully that changes soon, and we start seeing him get a few rotation minutes here and there.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#194 » by 31to6 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:32 pm

Pritchard’s getting all the backup 2 minutes right now, so .. we’ll see! I’m optimistic about Nesmith and Romeo, and think Danny’s left the wing cupboard pretty barren so that Brad has to play them.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#195 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:45 pm

The fact that he hasn't come out and beat Semi or Green for minutes is not encouraging. No real way to sugar coat that. At the same time, we can't always evaluate the picks in 1 year windows. Look at the playing time of Rozier or Bradley as rookies. Neither of them played as rookies drafted in the mid 1st. Perkins spent two years developing before he became a starter. Robert Williams is playing regularly now after very little in year 1 and on-and-off playing time in year 2.

A player can be a non factor and a huge disappointment in year 1 but also go on to be a good pick. Those aren't mutually exclusive. I'm not going to make a decisive call on Nesmith this year either way.

What is more concerning to me is the overall philosophy. Based on what they have/haven't done in FA, Ainge seems to be relying on these young guys to seize roles to start their careers. I know Langford had injuries last year, but he didn't seize a permanent role. Now Nesmith isn't doing so. Last year was a little bit of a different scenario because we had to let ton of guys go to get cap space for Kemba. We really only had the room exception to address the entire bench so it's understandable to have questionable depth. This year we had more flexibility. There's a huge TPE sitting there. We didn't use the bi-annual exception. This year it was more a conscious decision to rely on youth and that youth hasn't been able to beat out Green or Semi. Not good evaluation.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#196 » by Ernest » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:15 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
Celtic Esquire wrote:

Freshmen don't get to play big minutes here at Stevens University (Tatum and Smart are the lone rookies to get > 20mpg since Brad became coach). Doesn't bode well for Nesmith to beat your prediction above.

Well that post didn't age well. Brad must have read it right before the game and decided to play PP 30 minutes.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#197 » by Ernest » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:20 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:The fact that he hasn't come out and beat Semi or Green for minutes is not encouraging. No real way to sugar coat that. At the same time, we can't always evaluate the picks in 1 year windows. Look at the playing time of Rozier or Bradley as rookies. Neither of them played as rookies drafted in the mid 1st. Perkins spent two years developing before he became a starter. Robert Williams is playing regularly now after very little in year 1 and on-and-off playing time in year 2.

A player can be a non factor and a huge disappointment in year 1 but also go on to be a good pick. Those aren't mutually exclusive. I'm not going to make a decisive call on Nesmith this year either way.

What is more concerning to me is the overall philosophy. Based on what they have/haven't done in FA, Ainge seems to be relying on these young guys to seize roles to start their careers. I know Langford had injuries last year, but he didn't seize a permanent role. Now Nesmith isn't doing so. Last year was a little bit of a different scenario because we had to let ton of guys go to get cap space for Kemba. We really only had the room exception to address the entire bench so it's understandable to have questionable depth. This year we had more flexibility. There's a huge TPE sitting there. We didn't use the bi-annual exception. This year it was more a conscious decision to rely on youth and that youth hasn't been able to beat out Green or Semi. Not good evaluation.

A lot of it comes down to just knowing the system. Semi and Grant do. Nesmith had no summer league and only 2 games preseason. I guess the way I'm choosing to sugar coat it is that maybe Brad decided we can't have 2 rookies getting rotation minutes to start the season and PP was more ready or just we needed a point guard more. It doesn't look like he's in like to win rookie of the year but maybe he will be in the rotation in a few weeks. We can't really know whats going on at practice.
Bostondave
Analyst
And1: 2,058

Post#198 » by Bostondave » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:31 pm

I guess no insight into what's going on with Nesmith? I expected him to be Pritchard. Pritchard is getting some decent minutes. What's up with Nesmith?
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#199 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:04 pm

Thought it was a weird pick from the moment it was announced since they usually target guys who can do more than one thing and are versatile. We’ve also never seen Brad utilize a “shooter” in his system running all different types of action for him to get open.

Obviously Brad had input on the pick so liked the selection and thinks he can fit Nesmith in. Sill holding out hope that he can contribute later this year
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#200 » by robdog_5 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:13 pm

I'm wondering if we see him tonight. B2B and Tatum played 40 mins last night. Or just more Grant/Semi/Javonte

Return to Boston Celtics