ImageImageImage

Odds of robert williams breaking out

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Re: Odds of robert williams breaking out 

Post#21 » by Elrod is Back » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:31 pm

I am bullish on RWIII and think he should get serious time for a couple of months to develop against real game competition. Even if he makes mistakes. The payoff is too enticing to do otherwise.

Some of you may remember back in 1990 when Jan Volk signed Stojko Vrankovic to the the team. Stojko was a 26 year-old 7-2 Croatian center who had been a late bloomer. Stojko was a huge man with surprising agility and he was a decent passer and a tremendous shot blocker. He was sort of like a Croatian Mutombo if he panned out. The Cs hired Dave Cowens to be his personal tutor and to work with him to get him up to speed to play in the NBA.

By mid-season Stojko was frustrated that he was getting into games in what today would be termed the Tacko Fall zone. Cowens, too, came to Stojko's defense, saying Stojko was at the point where he needed to be given real minutes in meaningful NBA games to develop.

Stojko never got those minutes. The Cs were having a terrific season and Coach Chris Ford had a bunch of players in their 30s--i.e. Bird, McHale, Parish-- and he was all about winning that season, not developing guys for years down the road.

Until we see Kemba back in action and clearly at 100 percent, there is no reason to believe the Cs can contend this season. They are closer to the play-in tournament than the NBA finals.

If Kemba returns at full speed, that could change matters and press Danny to use the TPE and a 2021 no. 1 pick to firm up the bench for a run in the 2021 playoffs.

if Kemba does not get back to 100 percent, then the point of this season is to develop the kids, starting with Jayson and Jaylen and then Time Lord, Grant, Pritchard, Nesmith and Langford. Save the TPE until the off-season when we have a much better idea of what we presently have on the roster.

This is a long way of saying that Robert should be getting 15-20 minutes per game, at least until Kemba comes back or until he shows he has no business ever playing in the NBA.

I thought his play was scintillating last night. Let Tristan and Theis be his mentors. He is the wildest of wild cards, but he has the tools to be the fourth best Celtics center in team history. As JoJo White once put it when talking about Rajon Rondo also applies to Robert: What he does can't be taught, and what he can't do can be learned.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#22 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:07 am

Timelord is making an early run to break the FG% record. Shooting a mere 87% from the field!
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#23 » by SMTBSI » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:23 am

It's his passing that gives me the most hope. That's evidence he's actually got some real basketball instinct, as opposed to just being the classic pogo stick player running around catching lobs and not much else.

He's some relatively modest team-defense improvements away from being a pretty tantalizing multi-tool player.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#24 » by 3D Chess » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:52 am

SMTBSI wrote:It's his passing that gives me the most hope. That's evidence he's actually got some real basketball instinct, as opposed to just being the classic pogo stick player running around catching lobs and not much else.

He's some relatively modest team-defense improvements away from being a pretty tantalizing multi-tool player.

Made a great pass to Tatum for a pretty wide open 3 in the last few possessions of game 1 of this Pacers mini series.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,893

Post#25 » by Joshyjess » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:20 am

He is definitely doing the most that he can with the minutes that he is getting. He's got an incredible motor to back up his freakish athletic ability. If he keeps up this kind of progress, I really think he can take Theis' spot as a starter before too long.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#26 » by playa-hater » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:28 am

the Odds was the OP question. 0.0000000002%

Stevens holding him back.

Now imagine if Stevens would die on the hill for RW instead of Theis.. :o :o :o :o :o
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#27 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Joshyjess wrote:He is definitely doing the most that he can with the minutes that he is getting. He's got an incredible motor to back up his freakish athletic ability. If he keeps up this kind of progress, I really think he can take Theis' spot as a starter before too long.

Given how short his minutes tend to be, has that motor really been proven or tested?

But yeah -- I'm ready for him to get all the center minutes Thompson doesn't. Let's see how quickly he can clean up his worst recurring mistakes. He's too good for me to worry much about mistakes that may happen only rarely.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#28 » by ParticleMan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:19 pm

he's our nuke laloosh, million dollar body ten cent head.

to his credit, he seems very serious about improving. he works hard. he fits in. he tries to do the right thing. and he makes enough wow plays that he's still worth giving some PT to. but until he learns to stop having gaffes like at the end of the indy game, he's going to be limited. that and stay healthy.

if he does, i see no reason why he can't be clint capela. i'd take that in a heartbeat. this is a big year for him, next year theis is likely gone, and tristan remains a stopgap. timelord needs to carpe jobem.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#29 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:21 pm

ParticleMan wrote:he's our nuke laloosh, million dollar body ten cent head.

to his credit, he seems very serious about improving. he works hard. he fits in. he tries to do the right thing. and he makes enough wow plays that he's still worth giving some PT to. but until he learns to stop having gaffes like at the end of the indy game, he's going to be limited. that and stay healthy.

if he does, i see no reason why he can't be clint capela. i'd take that in a heartbeat. this is a big year for him, next year theis is likely gone, and tristan remains a stopgap. timelord needs to carpe jobem.

I remember Jaylen making a worse mistake at the end of a game a few months ago.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,779

Post#30 » by Scoonie » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:24 pm

ParticleMan wrote:if he does, i see no reason why he can't be clint capela. i'd take that in a heartbeat. this is a big year for him, next year theis is likely gone, and tristan remains a stopgap. timelord needs to carpe jobem.

Capela is taller/longer, but he can be Capela-lite.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#31 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:34 pm

What gaffe did he have against Indy? He almost won them the game by himself the first matchup and I don't even think he played in the fourth last night while Theis and Thompson are out there fouling and clanking iron. Thompson and Theis missed more shots last night than Williams will miss in a month.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#32 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:38 pm

Fake Latin FTW!
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#33 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:43 pm

He'll break out, for spurts at a time

He'll still miss half the season due to injuries regardless and never be a consistent starter due to his head.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#34 » by ParticleMan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:00 pm

^^and i think a big reason jaylen didn't play much as a rookie was exactly that, he had no clue out there half the time. jaylen's progressed a lot faster than rwill, so now a gaffe like that from jaylen is a shock. otoh i wasn't even surprised when timelord somehow managed to give up an and-1 layup off a simple screen with under 10 seconds to play. it's hardly an isolated incident.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:23 pm

The and-1 is 100 pct on Grant for not switching. Like 10 seconds prior, Rob had stripped Warren at halfcourt to give the Celtics the lead. if that's a gaffe to you, jeez.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
WeLikeOurGuys
General Manager
And1: 7,151

Post#36 » by WeLikeOurGuys » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:26 pm

Williams defensive reads have been much better this season.
I just worry about him staying healthy playing 25 plus minutes a game.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,257

Post#37 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:36 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:The and-1 is 100 pct on Grant for not switching. Like 10 seconds prior, Rob had stripped Warren at halfcourt to give the Celtics the lead. if that's a gaffe to you, jeez.

Forget who it was but one of the local writers looked at the play and said it seemed like they made a decision to switch to not switching (no pun intended) for that last play to throw IND off and give them a different look, for what it's worth.
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,780

Post#38 » by flintsky21 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:08 pm

He won't as long as Theis is in the roster or Brad is the coach. He played so well in the first game against Indiana and got rewarded with a whooping 11 minutes in the second game, one in which he played well as well. This is the best we've seen him and he still can't play more than a slumping Theis. That's just how it will be.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:36 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:The and-1 is 100 pct on Grant for not switching. Like 10 seconds prior, Rob had stripped Warren at halfcourt to give the Celtics the lead. if that's a gaffe to you, jeez.

Forget who it was but one of the local writers looked at the play and said it seemed like they made a decision to switch to not switching (no pun intended) for that last play to throw IND off and give them a different look, for what it's worth.

I guess that's one of those things no on except the coaches knows, so yeah, could be a mistake on Rob there then.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#40 » by SMTBSI » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:13 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:

I remember Jaylen making a worse mistake at the end of a game a few months ago.

Ooh, I like that highlighting color. Nice and visible on my screen. None of the connotations of mod blue or correction pen red. More distinct than bolding. :thumbsup:

Return to Boston Celtics