ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Hornets (Dec 30 8:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs vs Hornets (Dec 30 8:30PM EST) 

Post#41 » by BlueSan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:38 am

Apz wrote:Doesnt help that most of our guys cant hit the ocean. But been a lot of that those first rounds, not just for mavs. Bit first 2 games we missed everything, against clippers we hit everything, now we missed again. And same for a lot of other teams. Think its because of the short preseason, things just isnt natural yet in teams.

Im not panicking. If we are below 500 after 41 games I will panic. Not because im in a hurry, but because I dont want knicks to have a chance to get a great pick

Guys that has very little to do with the strange offseason or whatever.

Hitting shots especially when you are open is not like in September you are hitting them, but then you struggle because of the short off-season and suddenly can't shoot jack.

In basketball, some things like the feeling for the game, feel for the speed of it, intensity, and stuff like that are connected with the team's conditioning and rust, and so on.
Hitting shots is however not one of them. It has to do with how good someone is as a shooter, how hot he is currently (which is usually just statistical dip on and off or mental stuff) But in general you are just as a good shooter early in the season as you are late in the season, the only thing that affects you late in games or season is conditioning. Bad conditioning will affect your shot.

Look there were some teams that had longer rests, but those teams had less solid game time and current standings are all over the place. But that is NOT an excuse. Certain teams came prepared and their guys in shape. Certain have not.
Certain teams were able to adapt, players as their coaches and personnel, certain teams did not.

When someone is telling me that the problem with the game is that the other team came out aggressive and got you off the rhythm blah blah after 4 games and this is not the first time you are saying it. I start to roll my eyes.

You are in a freaking NBA - if your team is not coming out as a whole to play aggressively and hard more or less every single game then there is something wrong. So I don't know what the F is going on. But it is one thing you are losing games because you have been outplayed and what not and totally another if the problem you are stressing is that the other team basically played harder.

So what the F is going on?

Once again. I am not saying those things as just another couch guy who never played basketball. I never played it at that level sure. But I played it at a reasonably high one and I played with some guys who are now NBA guys, so while I have zero idea what is going on in Dallas, I do know that things as mentioned above are pure nonesense
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,764

Post#42 » by Archx » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:08 am

In my opinion, these few games are a perfect example why i didn't fully agree with people last season when they said Mavs had historic offense with or without Luka. There is something going on with him and Mavs are feeling the full effect.

Offense has been atrocious (apart from LAC game which was a huge anomaly) and it is hurting them big time. This is far from what we have seen in the bubble from him when he could literally put his team on his back and carry them in multiple games. He has no lift in his legs and can't hit a long shot but his lack of confidence around the rim is even more concerning. I can't believe how many shots and layups he already missed. He improved his energy on defense but at this point i would be happy if he just goes back to what he was doing last season :banghead: ...

Also, Powell is a huge concern, as much as i like him as a person, he is completely lost out there. It's frustrating to watch him pump fake the galaxy and then see his puzzled face when things don't go his way.

I said it before but i really miss JJB. He came in to the game, played 10-15 mins and quickly had like 5-7 assists. Very underrated player who was also a voice on the bench. They also miss Curry more than people are willing to admit. I was concerned about their chemistry and it's showing how lost they are on offense. Specially their 2nd unit is lacking big time.

I hope Rick figures out sooner than later that THJ and Jrich in the starting unit is just not working. They need Maxi to start and play his 3&D role with the starting unit.
taibumu
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#43 » by taibumu » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:28 am

You don't have a lot of idea about Luka, his competitiveness and their big balls.
A piece is history about his 3 point shots...

https://youtu.be/z8RjmJdW2Bs

Enviado desde mi Mi 10 mediante Tapatalk
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,574

Post#44 » by oldshoolballer » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:46 am

Should have kept Curry, big mistake.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#45 » by Bob8 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:07 am

Talking a lot about Powell don't make sense. They're not losing like that because of him. It's really simple. Luka came totally unprepared and is playing like ****. If others play like against Clippers everything will be fine, but that's not realistic expectations. They can play better than today for sure, but that won't be enough for playoffs with that kind of Luka.

Luka needs 3-points shooting, if he wants to attack the rim.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#46 » by Heezzi » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:29 am

arkuo wrote:Mavs need another playmaker so Luka can play off ball some. Cant have Luka taking 45 dribbles in one possession that just ends on a 35 foot step back miss. Seen those too often from him and he seems to miss a ton of those. When every possession goes through Luka it becomes very predictable. Even Lebron needs Rondo or Schroeder to handle PG duties for some stretches and Lebron is already athletic and can take anyone to the rim. We got an overweight kid who thinks he can take anyone to the hole only to take an ill advised step back three.

They literally got rid of their best point guards behind Luka. And them team goes when Luka goes.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#47 » by Bob8 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:44 am

Heezzi wrote:
arkuo wrote:Mavs need another playmaker so Luka can play off ball some. Cant have Luka taking 45 dribbles in one possession that just ends on a 35 foot step back miss. Seen those too often from him and he seems to miss a ton of those. When every possession goes through Luka it becomes very predictable. Even Lebron needs Rondo or Schroeder to handle PG duties for some stretches and Lebron is already athletic and can take anyone to the rim. We got an overweight kid who thinks he can take anyone to the hole only to take an ill advised step back three.

They literally got rid of their best point guards behind Luka. And them team goes when Luka goes.

Curry was never Pg and Delon didn't do much.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#48 » by JD45 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:41 pm

Maxi played really well. Yet he spends most of the game on the bench.

THJ had a nice offensive game, but his defense is consistently bad. So he played about normal.

The rest of the team was trash tonight. Luka needs to improve just to deserve an All-Star appearance. MVP is not a possibility.

Powell was certainly not the reason for the loss, but is still the most baffling coaching decision. Maxi is dramatically better. WCS looks better with more upside. At this point I suspect Tyler Bey would be better.

The Hornets hit some hard shots. The Mavs missed many wide open shots. Sometimes that happens and is just part of the randomness of the game. Maybe there was some bad preparation and practice decisions that left the Mavs tired. The players are responsible for the decisions leading to silly turnovers. The coaches are responsible for the very poor rotation (ie Powell) decisions.

They will be better when KP returns, but if this keeps up they will dig too much of a hole to get out of.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#49 » by Heezzi » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:36 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Heezzi wrote:

Could've fooled me. He's averaging more assists per game this season than Brunson.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#50 » by Bob8 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:44 pm

Heezzi wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Heezzi wrote:

Could've fooled me. He's averaging more assists per game this season than Brunson.

He is averaging 1.8 in his career. If that is acceptable to you, than Mavs has really lost Pg.
blabla
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#51 » by blabla » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:19 pm

gomavs wrote:is there any way to listen to the game? I tried to find KESN on the web, but all I can get is the national ESPN broadcast.
https://www.siriusxm.com/sports/nba/dallas-mavericks

Return to Dallas Mavericks