ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers Weakness/Faults

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Lakers Weakness/Faults 

Post#1 » by thomas1897 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:12 pm

The Lakers strength in 2020 were the resurgence of Dwight Howard, the stellar play of Javale McGee and the stars. Rob Pelinka has done an excellent job. Did he extract too much from this roster and the replacements were very good but there was not enough. Is there something Rob Pelinka knows he needs but is patiently waiting to make the right move and have Frank Vogel work the player additions into the Lakers system. Let's not have too many loses trying to figure it out.
Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 7,080

Re: Lakers Weakness/Faults 

Post#2 » by Freighttrain » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:36 pm

I just posted something similar in the game thread, but I'll voice it here as well. I think it's more so about the intensity we're currently playing at if anything. We're going through the motions, not really having a scheme and we're relying on our offensive weapons, which we have in overload and we're winning games on that end. Our mentality has been that of getting slowly back into the rhythm, more process-oriented, so I'm not expecting any changes until the final month of the regular season when they'll ramp it up. They just lack a concerted effort which is logical, having that championship hangover whilst also dealing with the shortened offseason. It kinda sucks and it's not the same high level we saw last year, but it is to be expected.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#3 » by stan francisco » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:30 pm

The only ‘weakness’ is that the team hasn’t had much time together yet. Time will fix that.

As you guys mentioned above, I think we will gradually shake the hangover from the finals as well as gradually tighten up this new machine.

Personally, I can’t wait to see a shut-down-defense third quarter again. That’ll be my sign that we’re ready.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#4 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:56 pm

Freighttrain wrote:I just posted something similar in the game thread, but I'll voice it here as well. I think it's more so about the intensity we're currently playing at if anything. We're going through the motions, not really having a scheme and we're relying on our offensive weapons, which we have in overload and we're winning games on that end. Our mentality has been that of getting slowly back into the rhythm, more process-oriented, so I'm not expecting any changes until the final month of the regular season when they'll ramp it up. They just lack a concerted effort which is logical, having that championship hangover whilst also dealing with the shortened offseason. It kinda sucks and it's not the same high level we saw last year, but it is to be expected.

But it's not like they brought back the entire team from last season. Harrell, Matthews, Schroder and Gasol didn't win it all so they should be hungry. Why not pull them aside, talk to them and run with these horses for now until AD and the rest wake up from this stupor?
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#5 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:21 pm

Kuzma. He's gotta figure it out this year. Hes gotta take over games. Hes gotta win games for us, Thats the next step for his development.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,830

Post#6 » by Beethoven » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:28 pm

^ I sort of disagree on that. Kuz has to embrace a good niche role on this team in terms of defense and 3pt shooting and the occasional cut to the basket. That will help the team. Treating him like a 3rd star like last year will hamper us again down the road and it is not him.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,946

Post#7 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:52 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Kuzma. He's gotta figure it out this year. Hes gotta take over games. Hes gotta win games for us, Thats the next step for his development.

This isn't going to happen. It should be clear by now, four years in, that Kuzma's never going to be more than a role player. At least not on a team that wants to win anything. And that's fine. We thought we might have something special after his rookie year, but we don't. And again, that's fine. Every team needs role players and minute eaters.

But looking at his advanced and prorated numbers, he hasn't really improved much of anything since he got here. In terms of winning games, he can't create anything for himself offensively outside of the sporadic spurts where he gets hot. The Memphis series is a perfect example: 9 points in the first quarter of Game 1, 7 points in 51 minutes over the remaining 7 quarters.

Can't necessarily knock his effort or anything basic like that -- he tries -- he's just not especially smart or skilled enough to be the player we wanted him to be.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:49 pm

Set expectations for yourself... Did we look like a championship team at any point last season until the playoffs? Not to me...

We won close ugly games all season last year, looked like we had glaring holes, but it all came together in the bubble... And not even early in the bubble, but the last couple games.

Our main focus right now is getting through the season healthy... Second is to evaluate the weapons we have and see how they might fit together when it counts.
There is no effort being made right now to make us look like some preventative juggernaut... We're going to look broken for a large part of this season, but it will just be looks, not actual failings.

We could use a solid Wing, we could use a Backup 7'er... We'll see what happens in the buyout market.

But don't get too caught up in the eye-test right now... You probably won't like it too much.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#9 » by Speedlot » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:28 pm

We need to develop assets. That is always the key and something that should always be on a team's mindset. Championship winning or not.

Lebron and AD are not assets. Don't get me wrong. They're easily our best players, but we will not trade them, ever. How they do don't really matter as far as asset building.

Out best assets right now is Caruso and Kuzma. Kuzma with that disgusting team favoring contract. If Kuzma plays just slightly better right now he would be so valuable around the league as a trade piece.

Kuzma, Dennis, and Harell are being featured more for this reason. Esp if Dennis extends with us. Their contracts are nice tradeable assets. Imagine if Kuzma develops so much that Kuzma and a 2nd nets us stars like Harden. It's a meme, but it's very realistic if Kuzma turns into a Brandon Ingram type value. Would rockets people trade Harden for Brandon and a 2nd? Almost immediately. I know we got AD, but the pelicans right now is incredibly happy with the package we gave them.

Look how valuable Caruso is now to other teams. He's super tradeable ( we won't do it ) . But he as an asset is sky high...THT is encroaching as well, though not quite there.

All in all keep developing assets. Let Lebron and AD coast, and pad stats for individual accolades.

The future is bright and I love Rob to death. I did not comprehend that we could do all these until we got away from Mitch.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,830

Post#10 » by Beethoven » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:11 pm

We need Timofey Mozgov
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,255

Post#11 » by heezyo2o » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:53 pm

Speedlot wrote:We need to develop assets. That is always the key and something that should always be on a team's mindset. Championship winning or not.

Lakers aren't going to extend Kuzma to just trade him away a few months later. Perhaps down the line if things don't work out, but no way they trade him this year
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,946

Post#12 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:36 pm

Here's a fun fact. I don't think it's a bad contract, but we're paying as much for Kyle Kuzma as the Rockets are for Christian Wood.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#13 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 10:41 pm

Speedlot wrote:We need to develop assets. That is always the key and something that should always be on a team's mindset. Championship winning or not.

The future is bright and I love Rob to death. I did not comprehend that we could do all these until we got away from Mitch.

It's just amazing how Rob came from being doubted by critics to now being hailed as a freaking Genius. Ramona Shelburne said she doubted if Rob understood how salary caps work last year. The guy passed the bar and was trusted by smart players like the late Kobe Bryant, no way he's below average but let's call a spade a spade. AD was recruited by Lebron and Klutch. After they won the chip, More good FA's were attracted by the prospect of playing with superstars and of course the chance to win it all.
Again, not that long ago, Bob Myers was proclaimed as the Wizard of team management and now his team is about to pay 147 Million dollars in luxury tax and they would probably be lucky to advance to the 2nd round. Again, I'm not saying both guys are not smart people, but let's pump the brakes here.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#14 » by chefy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:57 pm

Beethoven wrote:We need Timofey Mozgov

:rofl:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers