ImageImage

Do you think Trae is sustainable in a series?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,039

Do you think Trae is sustainable in a series? 

Post#1 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:14 am

My biggest question is the free throws. I don’t personally mind the ref baiting techniques as that stuff is part of the mental side of basketball.

Do you think this is

1. Sustainable

2. Do you think his not foul drawing scoring is good enough to score on guys who are serious defenders with time to prepare for him
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Re: Do you think Trae is sustainable in a series? 

Post#2 » by Radioblacktive1 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:40 am

Yes and yes. The foul baiting is just something that he recently started relying on but he doesn’t need it to fill it up. He always gonna be a crafty finisher, the threes haven’t dropped since the Chicago game but they will, and we haven’t explored him off-ball that much but I think I’ve maybe seen him miss one catch&shoot three and that was tonight, and lastly, he’s deadly from mid-range. He doesn’t shoot from there often, but once the playoffs hit he’s gonna make a lot of money from middys. Point is, Trae is a SCORER scorer, the foul-baiting is just easy points.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#3 » by shakes0 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:58 pm

as long as defenders continue to chase Trae over screens with such reckless abandon he will continue to rack up trips to the line.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:12 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:My biggest question is the free throws. I don’t personally mind the ref baiting techniques as that stuff is part of the mental side of basketball.

Do you think this is

1. Sustainable

2. Do you think his not foul drawing scoring is good enough to score on guys who are serious defenders with time to prepare for him

This is a legit concern. In a 7-game series, it'll likely volley between too many FTs and too few from game-to-game. As far as elite defenders or other top players (Jrue, Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, Jimmy Butler, Vic Oladipo, etc), no way are referees going to put those guys in foul trouble on ticky-tack fouls every single game.

So, is it sustainable...unlikely. The deeper we go into the playoffs and the more eyeballs are on the games, the refs will likely start to swallow their whistles more and more.

Our coaching staff and Trae himself will likely need to adjust when the time comes.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#5 » by graymule » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:47 pm

So, is it sustainable...unlikely. The deeper we go into the playoffs and the more eyeballs are on the games, the refs will likely start to swallow their whistles more and more.

Our coaching staff and Trae himself will likely need to adjust when the time comes.[/quote]

:D

I've noticed that, in the playoffs, officials have more of a tendency to "let them play." However, if most players not named Labron, gripe too much, they will get a T. foul called on them. Therefore, the play is somewhat rougher.

Hawks are not great - - Not yet. But, boy, are they good !

:nod:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,869

Post#6 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:46 pm

Trae's thought:
In his junior year of high school, an undersized Trae Young got tired of bigger players trying to push him around.

Because he knew the ins-and-outs of what referees would have to call as a foul, Young found success in using the other team's physicality against it.

"That's when I really started focusing on just knowing what I'm allowed to do as an offensive player and what the defense is allowed to do, and so I just use, sometimes I just use their size and their strengths against them, " Young said.

The 6 foot 1, 180 pound guard has an uncanny knack for gauging a defender's approach and finding away to draw contact whether he's driving in the lane or getting a shot up on the perimeter.

He trains specifically on his balance and his ability to stop-and-start start....
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Lockdown504090
RealGM

Post#7 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:18 pm

jayu70 wrote:Trae's thought:
In his junior year of high school, an undersized Trae Young got tired of bigger players trying to push him around.

Because he knew the ins-and-outs of what referees would have to call as a foul, Young found success in using the other team's physicality against it.

"That's when I really started focusing on just knowing what I'm allowed to do as an offensive player and what the defense is allowed to do, and so I just use, sometimes I just use their size and their strengths against them, " Young said.

The 6 foot 1, 180 pound guard has an uncanny knack for gauging a defender's approach and finding away to draw contact whether he's driving in the lane or getting a shot up on the perimeter.

He trains specifically on his balance and his ability to stop-and-start start....
Read on Twitter
?s=20

The teams theyve played this season arent really defensive minded, and last season ,teams were under no circumstance going to seriously prepare for this since the hawks were so bad. im curious to see if this works on better defenses, and if it works more than once against them. Imagine if they had Embiid, who does the same things as harden but inside the arc? teams would be in bonus the whole game and be unable to play D :lol:

Actually hell, they could probably trade for him and contend this season.
Lockdown504090
RealGM

Post#8 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:51 pm

If his tricks work today I think he’s a better foul drawer than harden. The nets have two days to prepare they should be ready, especially since they got a good game out of the hawks
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:21 pm

This is pretty damning evidence. When Trae can’t draw fouls at a high rate, he’s a fairly pedestrian player this season. (And that 3-pt percentage is alarming.)

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#10 » by jayu70 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:14 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:My biggest question is the free throws. I don’t personally mind the ref baiting techniques as that stuff is part of the mental side of basketball.

Do you think this is Sustainable

It looks like the answer is...no.

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,901

Post#12 » by HMFFL » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:16 pm

The free throw attempts have cooled down and Trae continues to not shot from three at a high percentage.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:45 am

The postseason is going to be an eye opening experience for Young Trae.

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,901

Post#14 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:13 am

Jamaaliver wrote:The postseason is going to be an eye opening experience for Young Trae.

Read on Twitter
Indeed.
Trae needs the experience but we also just need him to produce. It's hard to defend him when he shoots 1 for 9.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#15 » by Spud2nique » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:The postseason is going to be an eye opening experience for Young Trae.

Read on Twitter

If “eye opening” means feasting on opponents then I agree. Trae is different. He’s built for this. He’s gonna eat during the playoffs.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#16 » by shakes0 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:36 pm

Read on Twitter

is Trae going to be playing all his playoff games coming off a week off for an injury?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#17 » by jayu70 » Sat May 29, 2021 12:14 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Read on Twitter

I guess we have our answer, Trae is 16-17 from the free throw line in the series so far.
Lockdown504090
RealGM

Post#18 » by Lockdown504090 » Sat May 29, 2021 1:47 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Read on Twitter

I guess we have our answer, Trae is 16-17 from the free throw line in the series so far.

It’s kinda fun watching the Knicks get manipulated by a guy that’s the size and close to the speed of some WNBA players. Idk why more people aren’t Impressed with someone who does what he does with the lack of physical talent he does.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 29, 2021 5:03 pm

jayu70 wrote:I guess we have our answer, Trae is 16-17 from the free throw line in the series so far.

:dontknow:

I mean he got 9 FTAs in Game One...and half that amount in the games since.

I just hope he holds up against Matisse Thybulle and Ben Simmons next round.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#20 » by jayu70 » Sat May 29, 2021 5:17 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:I guess we have our answer, Trae is 16-17 from the free throw line in the series so far.

:dontknow:

I mean he got 9 FTAs in Game One...and half that amount in the games since.

I just hope he holds up against Matisse Thybulle and Ben Simmons next round.

We still have 2 games to win vs the Knicks, so I'm not looking ahead.
The way I read the question was would Trae be effective/sustainable if he's not on a constant parade to the free throw line during the playoffs. The answer so far is Yes, he's still getting his points without lots of freethrows.

Besides the 'foul baiting' that people are complaining about he's not doing and have actually not been doing a lot of that for awhile.

Return to Atlanta Hawks