ImageImageImage

Odds of robert williams breaking out

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Re: Odds of robert williams breaking out 

Post#41 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:37 pm

Williams is breaking out as we speak.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#42 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:05 pm

He certainly looks like it when he's on the floor with lil pp
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
RodyTur10
Junior
And1: 360

Post#43 » by RodyTur10 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:29 pm

Scoonie wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:if he does, i see no reason why he can't be clint capela. i'd take that in a heartbeat. this is a big year for him, next year theis is likely gone, and tristan remains a stopgap. timelord needs to carpe jobem.

Capela is taller/longer, but he can be Capela-lite.

Robert Williams is much more skilled than Capela. As a passer and shooter it's not even close.
nic4747
Pro Prospect
And1: 523

Post#44 » by nic4747 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:14 pm

I don’t see any reason why he shouldn’t be in the rotation going forward. He gets easy buckets at a high efficiency. Had 10 rebounds and 4 blocks last game, and in another game he had 4 steals. Seems to be quick enough to not be a liability on defense on the perimeter. The only issue is he doesn’t take 3s.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#45 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:41 am

His jumper looks pretty clean, he took a corner three in the bubble, forget which game. Took and sank a 20 footer a few games ago. I think eventually he steps out and can stretch the floor no problem. But when you are the most efficient scorer in NBA history, why not just keep dunking on everyone instead for now?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Roland2000
Sophomore
And1: 359

Post#46 » by Roland2000 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:08 am

You know who he reminds me of.....especially how he runs....Dennis freaking Rodman. Also super athletic. Granted he's not the same defensively at all and has a ways to go with the rebounds....but, the way he carries himself....Dennis Rodman.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,529

Post#47 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:12 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:Almost none. He's an average backup with a shot to be a below average starter someday.

You seem to have decided that one error is not enough. :)

Assume Williams is permanently unable to put the ball on the floor in a useful way. That still leaves him on track to be a good starter, unless you think there are other skills he'll fail at as well. Do you have a particular list of such skills in mind?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,211

Post#48 » by TheMartian » Fri Jan 1, 2021 2:05 am

He has great passing skills for a big, and shows a hint of a shooting touch which I believe he can extend to develop a 3 ball. He's got the right mindset and is saying all the right things. What's not to like about this kid?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,879

Post#49 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jan 1, 2021 2:16 am

Cs need a big man coach who'll drill Rob on screening, defensive positioning/timing, and getting in rebounding position early. He gets boards due to his long arms and jumping ability but he's almost always boxed out by his man. It could also be a strength thing but there are moments where he just floats or stops on plays (on both ends). Got to do your work early and all the way through. Play never stops til your team scores or secures the ball on D.

But he's got the tools! Hope his body finally cooperates and he gets a full season of consistent playing time. He has great passing instincts and it's as if he knows where his teammates will be ahead of time! :o Would love to see a steady those of him as a roll big in PnR or guy in the dunker spot (esp when other team throws a zone against us).

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#50 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Jan 1, 2021 2:27 am

He’s a good passer, but he has GREAT vision for a center. At some point his passing will catch up to it, and I think he will be able to play a poor mans Horford role offensively.

Defensively, he makes things happen, but he is constantly out of position. In theory, that should get better with time as well.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,312

Post#51 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:55 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:Almost none. He's an average backup with a shot to be a below average starter someday.

Assume Williams is permanently unable to put the ball on the floor in a useful way. That still leaves him on track to be a good starter, unless you think there are other skills he'll fail at as well. Do you have a particular list of such skills in mind?

Slow down. You wouldn't even know the dude's name if he were on another team, lol.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#52 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:40 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:

Slow down. You wouldn't even know the dude's name if he were on another team, lol.

I would on a technicality -- I happen to have been the one person who predicted the Celtics would draft him. :)

Anyhow, the Celtics DID draft him. He's elite at one offensive skill (finishing alley oops) and good-not-great at some others (offensive rebounding/putbacks, passing). His shooting doesn't look broken. So he has an easy path to being an above average starter on offense. Do you disagree with that part?
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#53 » by Ernest » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:04 am

His passing looked really good the other night
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#54 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:43 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:

That is very funny.

However, he reminds me of when I watched a summer league game years ago when Philly threw out Rashaun Holmes and Christian Wood. Both stood out the way Williams has being noticeably athletic for big men. Both were struggling to be G leaguers/15th men on rosters back then and both are thriving right now. The clock is ticking on RW because his type of athletic advantage doesn’t last forever. I am encouraged by the fact that he was so much better after the time off before the bubble and it seems like he has taken another leap since then.

The best thing that could happen this season is if some of Langford, Nesmith, Williams and Pritchard look intriguing enough to bring back a stud along with TPE and picks. If RW keeps his PER close to 30 playing 15 mpg he stands to make a lot of money with his next contract. If he does that he might have trade value before that contract (unlike Wood and Holmes)
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,893

Post#55 » by Joshyjess » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:34 am

I'd say that the odds are getting better and better every game. It's been fun watching him improve almost every time he goes out there.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,879

Post#56 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:40 pm

NBA database (wish I was not too stingy to not pay for StatHead lol) goes far back as 1983-84 and no one on the Celtics has grabbed at least 15 boards in 20 minutes or less of PT. Except Timelord.

darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,940

Post#57 » by darrendaye » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:44 pm

Read on Twitter
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#58 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:46 pm

If Stevens wants to start two bigs, He should start Williams instead of Thompson.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,352

Post#59 » by tlee324 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:38 pm

I actually think he passes the ball fairly well, and knows the value of a tip pass off the rebound. He's got a good shot at being a starter.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#60 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:45 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:NBA database (wish I was not too stingy to not pay for StatHead lol) goes far back as 1983-84 and no one on the Celtics has grabbed at least 15 boards in 20 minutes or less of PT. Except Timelord.

At some point teams will figure out that you have to ALWAYS stay between Rob and the basket.

If he can reliably hit short jumpers of some kind against such schemes, he'll be a star.

Return to Boston Celtics