Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser"

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#501 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:37 pm

tontoz wrote:Historically shooters age well (Ray, Reggie, Korver, Dirk, Nash....etc). Bertans' age isn't a concern to me at all.

Korver's probably the best comp to him, and his best season was at age 33.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#502 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:40 pm

Ruzious wrote:
tontoz wrote:Historically shooters age well (Ray, Reggie, Korver, Dirk, Nash....etc). Bertans' age isn't a concern to me at all.

And tall shooters tend to last even longer. Nowitzki and Bird were All-Stars at age 35. Sam Perkins was good at age 35 and played until he was 39.

It'll be interesting to see if Bertans ever decides to bulk up and become more of a true PF rather than a SF/PF hybrid. It's an option that's always on the table since he is a legit 6-10. It could certainly extend his career like how Rudy Gay and Robert Horry extended theirs. He'd probably have to give up his vegetarian diet though.

It's not necessary now, but when he gets to be 31 or 32, he might need to do it.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#503 » by trast66 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:20 am

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

And tall shooters tend to last even longer. Nowitzki and Bird were All-Stars at age 35. Sam Perkins was good at age 35 and played until he was 39.

It'll be interesting to see if Bertans ever decides to bulk up and become more of a true PF rather than a SF/PF hybrid. It's an option that's always on the table since he is a legit 6-10. It could certainly extend his career like how Rudy Gay and Robert Horry extended theirs. He'd probably have to give up his vegetarian diet though.

It's not necessary now, but when he gets to be 31 or 32, he might need to do it.

He certainly bulked up, to the point of being too fat to play more than 20 minutes.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#504 » by WallToWall » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:45 am

he got his $$, and got fat. He needs to get in basketball shape now!
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#505 » by miller31time » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:59 am

WallToWall wrote:he got his $$, and got fat. He needs to get in basketball shape now!

No reputable organization would be okay with this. But in Wiz-land, it’s just par for the course.

“Oh, you were completely unprofessional and got fat WHILE WE GAVE YOU A MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT?”

“It’s okay, buddy. We’ll just put you on a minutes restriction so we don’t make you work too hard.”

GTFOH. This doesn’t fly in San Antonio. Pop would have cut him himself.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,884

Post#506 » by TGW » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:01 am

I was against Bertans being signed to that contract from the start. Just didn't think he did enough in his career to deserve it, much like when Otto Porter got paid.

He's nowhere near game shape...this is pathetic.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#507 » by closg00 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:25 am

TGW wrote:I was against Bertans being signed to that contract from the start. Just didn't think he did enough in his career to deserve it, much like when Otto Porter got paid.

I was for a 3-year deal and winced at the 5-year contract, but this team is going to get their **** together and make some runs....at some point.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 365

Post#508 » by Silvie Lysandra » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:43 am

miller31time wrote:
WallToWall wrote:he got his $$, and got fat. He needs to get in basketball shape now!

No reputable organization would be okay with this. But in Wiz-land, it’s just par for the course.

“Oh, you were completely unprofessional and got fat WHILE WE GAVE YOU A MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT?”

“It’s okay, buddy. We’ll just put you on a minutes rotation so we don’t make you work too hard.”

GTFOH. This doesn’t fly in San Antonio. Pop would have cut him himself.

it turns out that "continuity" with the one of the bottom 10 organizations in sports doesn't result in a lot of winning. imagine thinking that the guys who were second in command to Abe Pollin and Ernie Grunfeld were competent
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#509 » by gambitx777 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:44 pm

I think if you come in out of shape there should be a punishment clause. Like a metric test you have to pass or something like if you make over 10 mill a year or something, 10-20 percent of your contract is void. Like if your so far off your fitness test results from last year then you loose a couple mill a year every time that comes off your salary and the money comes off the books. Your a ball player, it's not too much to ask for you to be in game shape. Injuries obviously are not included in this idea and would not count.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
TGW
RealGM

Post#510 » by TGW » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:41 am

TGW wrote:I was against Bertans being signed to that contract from the start. Just didn't think he did enough in his career to deserve it, much like when Otto Porter got paid.

Bertans still hasn't proven me wrong. He tricked the dumbass FO into paying him 80 mil after having a career year in a condensed season.

Nicely done, Fatboy.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#511 » by AFM » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:45 am

He’s more like the laser James Bond has on his Rolex in Goldeneye
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,107

Post#512 » by J-Ves » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:56 am

He will regain his form at some point, then we can ship his fat a** to some contender
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#513 » by keynote » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:46 am

Let's see. Take your pick; which one will stick?
- Latvian La-Z-Boy
- Fat-vian Laser
- Not-Vegan Laser
- Latvian Grazer
- the Ls
- Davis Bertanks
- Rusty Griswold
- No-J Redick
- Imperial Stormtrooper
- Brick Lesnar

(Yes, they get worse)

- the Bath Salt Balt
- Da'Miss Bertans
- Latvian Love Handles
- Debessmanna
- the Four-Point Plate
- Old Country Buffet
- Smorgas-no-boards
- Oyster Shooter

Jokes aside, I like the fact that Davis is still aggressive, and I expect the jumper start falling soon.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Re: Davis Bertans 

Post#514 » by doclinkin » Fri Jan 1, 2021 2:06 am

keynote wrote:- Latvian Grazer

Made me snort and chuckle.
TGW
RealGM

Post#515 » by TGW » Fri Jan 1, 2021 2:11 am

Brick Lesnar :laugh:
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#516 » by dlts20 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:12 am

Like seriously what do these guys be doing. You basically get paid millions just to workout and you can't do it? Like was he really just eating pizza every day and saying that he will start tomorrow? I don't get it. You know the season is coming. Now that I think about it, dude has been off since forever. The season got shutdown for months due to covid, he didn't participate in the bubble, then has the whole off season and this is what we get? Dude was just out sailing on a yacht with a beer belly knowing that hes set for life and its guaranteed. That would really bother me if I were Brad
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Re: Davis Bertans 

Post#517 » by montestewart » Fri Jan 1, 2021 6:04 am

keynote wrote:Let's see. Take your pick; which one will stick?
- Latvian La-Z-Boy
- Fat-vian Laser
- Not-Vegan Laser
- Latvian Grazer
- the Ls
- Davis Bertanks
- Rusty Griswold
- No-J Redick
- Imperial Stormtrooper
- Brick Lesnar

(Yes, they get worse)

- the Bath Salt Balt
- Da'Miss Bertans
- Latvian Love Handles
- Debessmanna
- the Four-Point Plate
- Old Country Buffet
- Smorgas-no-boards
- Oyster Shooter

Jokes aside, I like the fact that Davis is still aggressive, and I expect the jumper start falling soon.

Tub o’ Zard
Miss America
Catch and Miss
The Fat and the Hilarious
Nothing But Nothing
Buffet Line Stuffer
Ready 2 Playdoh
Baltiless
The Disappearin’ Valmieran
Chicken Buckets
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#518 » by Halcyon » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:02 am

Water Pistol
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#519 » by doclinkin » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:33 am

Latvian Laser? more like Latvian LAZY

Until we win a game he's the Fatvian Loser.

Pronunciation guide: "DAH-vis Bertans", sounds like "BLOB-bish Bertans. SLOB-ish Bertans".
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#520 » by Hidden Eye » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:25 pm

Been on that Blatche Hotdog offseason diet

Return to Washington Wizards