ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#1421 » by NatP4 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:17 pm

I wonder if you could switch 1-5 and have Rui play a bunch of 5 because Russ gets all the rebounds. Russ-Beal-Avdija-Bonga-Rui

Basically just do what Brooks was doing with the backup SG position, eliminating it by playing multiple PGs, but do that with the backup C spot. Play Rui instead of Lopez, which frees up a handful of wing minutes for Bonga and Brown, maybe even Mathews.

I have never doubted that Rui will develop into a high level volume scorer. Can he rebound and be a plus defender?
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#1422 » by dckingsfan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:31 pm

One positive (to me) about Rui coming back is that it "might" cut down on the Brooks' three PG failed experiment!?!
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#1423 » by NatP4 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:14 pm

I mean, it all sounds good. We’ll see

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1424 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:48 pm

NatP4 wrote:I mean, it all sounds good. We’ll see

Read on Twitter

Space out? Nah, that's too much of a softball.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIX 

Post#1425 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:27 am

SA37 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'm sure Sacramento likes Haliburton as much as you and I do. I don't think they'd trade him for Hachimura

Rui was picked higher than Hailburton in a draft that was considered better. And I don't think his value has declined since he was drafted.

Are you not too high on Hachimura or is it just that you like Haliburton more?

This board is somewhat divided on Hachimura. Most people loved the pick; a few of us disliked it. Those who loved it have gone on to be very positive on Rui. The few of us who didn't like it also mention the fact that he actually hasn't played very well.

I, in particular, am called a "Rui-hater" from time to time -- tho that's inaccurate, as I can't see why anyone would dislike him -- he seems like a great kid. &, obviously, I want him to become a terrific player & prove how stupid I was about him.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1426 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:33 am

I just realized the exact right way to characterize Rui at this moment, but it's so perfect that I have to put it behind a spoiler:
Spoiler:
Nah... not about Rui. I just wanted to wish all you other addicted Wizards fans a...

Happy New Year!

2021 has to be better than 2020. At least I sure hope so! Everyone stay safe & keep posting!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#1427 » by AFM » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:47 am

Glad to see you made it another year PIF. Happy New Year buddy.
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,169

Post#1428 » by SA37 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:00 am

payitforward wrote:
SA37 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Rui was picked higher than Hailburton in a draft that was considered better. And I don't think his value has declined since he was drafted.

This board is somewhat divided on Hachimura. Most people loved the pick; a few of us disliked it. Those who loved it have gone on to be very positive on Rui. The few of us who didn't like it also mention the fact that he actually hasn't played very well.

I, in particular, am called a "Rui-hater" from time to time -- tho that's inaccurate, as I can't see why anyone would dislike him -- he seems like a great kid. &, obviously, I want him to become a terrific player & prove how stupid I was about him.

Interesting. I kind of thought that he'd be an "untouchable" for Washington given he has by far the most potential of any of the Wizards young guys (haven't seen enough of Avdija yet). I am not sure Hachimura will be a star, but he is very skillful and I would be shocked if he didn't become a really good pro. He also seems like a guy that would be great to have as far as building a culture in Washington.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1429 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 1, 2021 3:28 pm

SA37 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
SA37 wrote:Are you not too high on Hachimura or is it just that you like Haliburton more?

Interesting. I kind of thought that he'd be an "untouchable" for Washington given he has by far the most potential of any of the Wizards young guys (haven't seen enough of Avdija yet). I am not sure Hachimura will be a star, but he is very skillful and I would be shocked if he didn't become a really good pro. He also seems like a guy that would be great to have as far as building a culture in Washington.

Oh, I think he absolutely is "untouchable" from the POV of our Front Office. & for sure he is a great kid. Plus, he has incredible marketing value, b/c he brings an audience & a market (for merch) that no one else brings.

Rui has a lot of natural gifts -- great size, really good athleticism, big mitts. But, he was late to start playing the game. He has shown a poor BBIQ to this point. He's going to improve significantly, no doubt. Which is a good thing, b/c he needs to. What his ceiling is... that's unknown.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#1430 » by dckingsfan » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:02 pm

payitforward wrote:
SA37 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Rui was picked higher than Hailburton in a draft that was considered better. And I don't think his value has declined since he was drafted.

I was absolutely with you on the Rui pick. I didn't want him. But last night, damn. I know it is a small sample size but I want to re-watch the game just to see that wrap-around pass again. Zero chance he can make that pass last year. And he looks soooooo much stronger from the start of last year (and that with the time off for the conjunctivitis).

I am thinking he is going to make me look very bad...

:rockon:
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1431 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:20 pm

payitforward wrote:
SA37 wrote:
payitforward wrote:This board is somewhat divided on Hachimura. Most people loved the pick; a few of us disliked it. Those who loved it have gone on to be very positive on Rui. The few of us who didn't like it also mention the fact that he actually hasn't played very well.

Oh, I think he absolutely is "untouchable" from the POV of our Front Office. & for sure he is a great kid. Plus, he has incredible marketing value, b/c he brings an audience & a market (for merch) that no one else brings.

Rui has a lot of natural gifts -- great size, really good athleticism, big mitts. But, he was late to start playing the game. He has shown a poor BBIQ to this point. He's going to improve significantly, no doubt. Which is a good thing, b/c he needs to. What his ceiling is... that's unknown.

I would say he is untouchable in the sense that no team would pay the asking price the Wiz would have. A 3/4 combo of Deni & Rui look dangerous. Offensively, Rui has a patience and effortless style that very few players ever show. Look at last nights game.
Plays 1 & 2: His shooting looked smooth from outside and without hesitation
Play 3: Catches the ball in transition and finishes through contact
Play 4: One dribble pull up looked like a layup it was so easy
Play 5: Jab step, pump fake, step through behind the back pass to Bryant that showed vision, patience, and coordination
Play 6: Backs down Lavine with zero effort and finishes through contact

I see a guy with Antawn Jamison type player with more upside due to physical profile and shooting touch. (Rui shot 83% from the FT line last year, Antawn never shot 80% in 16 years).

I think he is a mix of Jamison and David West, but more efficient. He is physically almost identical to Kawhi and that's where his offensive peak is, with his defense somewhere between Jamison and West. Highly efficient scorer (TS in the 57-59 range) from all 3 levels. Given his/our timeline and his fit with Deni... Im sold on them two as our forwards moving forward.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#1432 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:32 pm

pcbothwel wrote:I think he is a mix of Jamison and David West, but more efficient. He is physically almost identical to Kawhi and that's where his offensive peak is, with his defense somewhere between Jamison and West. Highly efficient scorer (TS in the 57-59 range) from all 3 levels. Given his/our timeline and his fit with Deni... Im sold on them two as our forwards moving forward.

I don't really like the Jamison or West comparison on defense. West was undersized without particularly long arms, and Jamison was stiff-hipped with no lateral agility. Both guys were capped physically in their defensive potential.

I think Rui is more like a longer-armed, harder-working Markieff Morris defensively. Rui moves well and has they physical tools to be an excellent defender and has actually done a pretty job as a one-on-one defender. His problems are mostly due to poor awareness and instincts in help defense and on the glass. It's like he has to think through every rotation.

I think there's a real good chance he will improve over time because at least he seems to care, and he has all the physical tools a good defender needs.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#1433 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:38 pm

There was some good discussion on Rui in the Trade Thread. I moved it here.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1434 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:20 pm

payitforward wrote:
SA37 wrote:

I’ve been a hater.

However, his box score one game played (17/5/3) has me very encouraged. I might be wrong again! Good.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1435 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:20 pm

nate33 wrote:There was some good discussion on Rui in the Trade Thread. I moved it here.

Thanks!
Bye bye Beal.
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,169

Post#1436 » by SA37 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:54 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
payitforward wrote:
SA37 wrote:Are you not too high on Hachimura or is it just that you like Haliburton more?

I’ve been a hater.

However, his box score one game played (17/5/3) has me very encouraged. I might be wrong again! Good.

The confessions are coming out... :lol:

I think Hachimura is going to change a lot for the Wizards in the coming weeks. He gives the Wizards some semblance of an inside presence on offense to balance the perimeter game. That should help open up a few open 3s for guys like Bertans and hopefully that'll get him back on track.

The Wiz have a tough 7 games coming up (outside of Minnesota who is without Towns), but after that they have a stretch of 4 or 5 games where Hachimura should be off his minutes restriction and I think those games will be a chance for the Wizards to string together some wins and start to establish a rotation going forward.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#1437 » by tontoz » Fri Jan 1, 2021 9:26 pm

That was certainly an impressive season debut. Being able to make 3s and play bully ball inside is a nice combo.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
RealGM

Post#1438 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 1, 2021 9:41 pm

SA37 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
payitforward wrote:This board is somewhat divided on Hachimura. Most people loved the pick; a few of us disliked it. Those who loved it have gone on to be very positive on Rui. The few of us who didn't like it also mention the fact that he actually hasn't played very well.

I’ve been a hater.

The confessions are coming out... :lol:

I think Hachimura is going to change a lot for the Wizards in the coming weeks. He gives the Wizards some semblance of an inside presence on offense to balance the perimeter game. That should help open up a few open 3s for guys like Bertans and hopefully that'll get him back on track.

The Wiz have a tough 7 games coming up (outside of Minnesota who is without Towns), but after that they have a stretch of 4 or 5 games where Hachimura should be off his minutes restriction and I think those games will be a chance for the Wizards to string together some wins and start to establish a rotation going forward.

When exactly is the Player Haters’ ball?

:)

Bye bye Beal.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,111

Post#1439 » by J-Ves » Sat Jan 2, 2021 5:27 am

An impressive 11.2 fta/36 in his first 2 games. He looks stronger.
RealGM

Post#1440 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 2, 2021 5:29 am

Do we have a second go to scorer late in games?
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards