ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets 2021 Trade Speculation/Ideas thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Nets 2021 Trade Speculation/Ideas thread 

Post#1 » by DarkXaero » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:25 pm

As we're in the new season and a new year, I thought it would be appropriate to have a dedicated thread to discuss trade speculation or any trade ideas. We're still in a roster assessment/evaluation phase, but I think with Dinwiddie's season injury, we have more reason to make a trade than previously.

There could be quite a few intriguing options available by deadline (other than Harden). Another thing worth keeping an eye on are the poor starts of the Wizards & Bulls (Beal, Lavine). Oladipo is also off to a sneaky great start this season but it's too early to tell if it's sustainable. There are also teams like Thunder who will be sellers for their vets at the deadline (George Hill). Derozan is also in a contract year with San Antonio and off to a great start this season. There could potentially be a lot of intriguing guard options available out there.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Re: Nets 2021 Trade Speculation/Ideas thread 

Post#2 » by therealbig3 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:32 pm

Dinwiddie may still have value as an expiring contract for a team looking to dump longer term contracts and are trying to tank, so we could get a useful vet in here for his contract.

It's tough, the only reason we were in the running for a guy like Harden is because he specifically asked for us. Otherwise, we just have weak packages for star players that other teams can beat easily.

I think George Hill would be a quality addition though, he's a really solid backup PG...can run an offense for short stretches, capable scorer, excellent shooter, pesky defender. Has been bouncing around the league for the last few years, but can still contribute on a good team.

If Thunder wanted to tank, Dinwiddie for Hill might be worth looking into. They'd probably want another 1st rounder though lol.
StepBackCrack
Starter
And1: 3,083

Post#3 » by StepBackCrack » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:55 pm

I just want a defensive wing at the 4 for the Nets. And Clax to have some playing time eventually because DJ is just too washed.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#4 » by DarkXaero » Fri Jan 1, 2021 2:14 am

therealbig3 wrote:Dinwiddie may still have value as an expiring contract for a team looking to dump longer term contracts and are trying to tank, so we could get a useful vet in here for his contract.

It's tough, the only reason we were in the running for a guy like Harden is because he specifically asked for us. Otherwise, we just have weak packages for star players that other teams can beat easily.

I think George Hill would be a quality addition though, he's a really solid backup PG...can run an offense for short stretches, capable scorer, excellent shooter, pesky defender. Has been bouncing around the league for the last few years, but can still contribute on a good team.

If Thunder wanted to tank, Dinwiddie for Hill might be worth looking into. They'd probably want another 1st rounder though lol.
I think it would be extremely unwise to give up a 1st for 34 year old George hill, who will likely be a free agent in the summer, if Thunder don't trade him. I'd also rather retain Dinwiddie's contract because we should keep his bird rights to keep our options open.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#5 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 2:24 am

Yes, I'm firmly in the Keep Spencer camp. First of all, his value is essentially nil, he would be viewed as less than he's worth to us. Secondly, he's not ruling out a return if we make it deep into the postseason. Having that kind of firepower return then would be amazing. It all depends on his healing process, so I'm praying for him to be smart and heal up as best he can.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#6 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:45 am

Check out my post on the Trades and Transactions board, first published proposal of 2021!

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2035671

I think that this deal could do us a ton of good. We could keep the roster spot open afterward, but I'd really like to see us bring back Rondae. He has blossomed since he left, and although he's still not a shooter, he can be the stopper we need against LBJ, Kawhi, Luka and other superstar wings.
-- Steve Martin
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#7 » by DarkXaero » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:58 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Check out my post on the Trades and Transactions board, first published proposal of 2021!

I think that this deal could do us a ton of good. We could keep the roster spot open afterward, but I'd really like to see us bring back Rondae. He has blossomed since he left, and although he's still not a shooter, he can be the stopper we need against LBJ, Kawhi, Luka and other superstar wings.
Unfortunately, I think trading DJ is a non-starter.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#8 » by Prokorov » Sat Jan 2, 2021 5:09 am

Horford is a corpse. no thanks
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#9 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 9:11 am

Prokorov wrote:Horford is a corpse. no thanks

What does that make Prince and Jordan, then? The undead? Al is playing better than either of our guys, and I believe he wouldn't cost us any sweetener assets.

Explain how trading two of our worst performing rotation players for a guy who's playing at a significantly higher level (AND doesn't directly impede the growth of our 3rd best player) doesn't improve us. Sometimes I think you would rather contradict yourself than agree with others.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#10 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 9:18 am

DarkXaero wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:Check out my post on the Trades and Transactions board, first published proposal of 2021!

Unfortunately, I think trading DJ is a non-starter.

Plausibility is a valid concern.

I will say this: both Kevin and Kyrie have been visibly frustrated with DJ's level of play, especially in terms of effort and attitude. We all see it. It's possible that last year (woo-hoo, we can call 2020 "last year"!), they asked Marks not to trade him (or Caris, or Taurean) until they had a chance to take the court together. Well, it don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. I don't think they'd stand in the way of a deal to improve the team over sentimentality. Plus, Kyrie has played with Horford before, and Durant recruited Al HAAAARD when he was still in Oklahoma City.

We can speculate either way, but I think there is evidence to suggest that our superstar duo would greenlight this deal.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#11 » by Prokorov » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:28 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:

What does that make Prince and Jordan, then? The undead? Al is playing better than either of our guys, and I believe he wouldn't cost us any sweetener assets.

Explain how trading two of our worst performing rotation players for a guy who's playing at a significantly higher level (AND doesn't directly impede the growth of our 3rd best player) doesn't improve us. Sometimes I think you would rather contradict yourself than agree with others.

performance after 5-6 games = irrelevant unless injured
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#12 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:04 pm

Prokorov wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

You're not making sense, my guy. How is Horford a corpse after 5-6 games despite playing quite well, but Jordan and Prince's bad performance is irrelevant??? Let's be even handed and impartial with either criticism or grace period.
-- Steve Martin
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#13 » by DarkXaero » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:51 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:What does that make Prince and Jordan, then? The undead? Al is playing better than either of our guys, and I believe he wouldn't cost us any sweetener assets.

You're not making sense, my guy. How is Horford a corpse after 5-6 games despite playing quite well, but Jordan and Prince's bad performance is irrelevant??? Let's be even handed and impartial with either criticism or grace period.
He doesn't make sense often, it's not worth the headache arguing with him.
fox2jk
Junior
And1: 145

Post#14 » by fox2jk » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:42 pm

I think you should stop wasting your time looking at Harden and shift focus to another guy who would be better and cheaper. You just dont have the depth to give up for Harden so shift your focus to Bradley Beal.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#15 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 10:46 pm

no one wrote:

not a single soul wrote:

fox2jk wrote:I think you should stop wasting your time looking at Harden and shift focus to another guy who would be better and cheaper. You just dont have the depth to give up for Harden so shift your focus to Bradley Beal.
-- Steve Martin
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,452

Post#16 » by Pelly24 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:36 am

I think Derozan, Oldaipo, or a George Hill and an athletic wing that can play defense and dunk would be good. Without Dinwiddie this team is simply not deep. They should get rid of DeAndre Jordan too, if at all possible. Kyrie and KD are probably already regretting that one. I don't love Caris, i think I'd rather have Kyle Kuzma, handily. More efficient scorer and idk just seems more compatible and in an increased role he could get 18-19 ppg w. KD and Kyrie. Just need someone to be a reliable 16 ppg on around league average efficiency and be *okay* on defense.
StepBackCrack
Starter
And1: 3,083

Post#17 » by StepBackCrack » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:26 pm

Pelly24 wrote:I think Derozan, Oldaipo, or a George Hill and an athletic wing that can play defense and dunk would be good. Without Dinwiddie this team is simply not deep. They should get rid of DeAndre Jordan too, if at all possible. Kyrie and KD are probably already regretting that one. I don't love Caris, i think I'd rather have Kyle Kuzma, handily. More efficient scorer and idk just seems more compatible and in an increased role he could get 18-19 ppg w. KD and Kyrie. Just need someone to be a reliable 16 ppg on around league average efficiency and be *okay* on defense.

Agreed with all of this.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#18 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:33 pm

Nets should be looking for a team with a desirable player with 3 years left who is overpaid. it would allow them to send that team dinwiddie as an expring and maybe pair that with 1-2 picks. Something like:

Dinwiddie
2022 1st unprotected
2024 first protected

for Harrison Barnes or Eric Bledsoe.

Oladipo would be ideal. would fit nicely and bring defense and a guy who can bring the ball up. but he's an expiring himself
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,452

Post#19 » by Pelly24 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:18 pm

Prokorov wrote:Nets should be looking for a team with a desirable player with 3 years left who is overpaid. it would allow them to send that team dinwiddie as an expring and maybe pair that with 1-2 picks. Something like:

Dinwiddie
2022 1st unprotected
2024 first protected

for Harrison Barnes or Eric Bledsoe.

Oladipo would be ideal. would fit nicely and bring defense and a guy who can bring the ball up. but he's an expiring himself

You know what? I think I'd rather have Harrison Barnes over all those guys (sans DeRozan). Oladipo might get injured again and at that point idk. Harrison isn't a great player but he's a great athlete, cna get 15-17 ppg on solid efficiency and play defense. There are definitely options. But this team definitely needs a layer of solidness.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#20 » by Keith Van Horn » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:39 pm

I don't mind having Jordan on this team, but I just wish he was more of a cheerleader/bench mob/practice try-hard guy at this point lol. And he wasn't making 10 a year. ugh.

Return to Brooklyn Nets