ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Re-signed: 4yrs/$30M)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! 

Post#261 » by Ill News » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:32 am

TheSheriff wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Im still not sure why’d you’d ever get so upset about the 26th pick in the draft. Think there are better players? Ok. Say you’d rather have someone else? Sure. But some of those people seemed angry.

I was one of those questioning this pick, mostly because Ainge drafted yet another undersized guard. We all know his infatuation with these kinds of players, he's drafted Tremont Waters and Phil Pressey, and signed similarly sized guards like Shane Larkin and Brad Wanamaker (and let's not forget the great Isaiah Thomas). I know they're just low second-round picks, but at that range I'd rather he take a swing at some athletic specimen (preferably a wing or big man) that we can mold into a good player, similar to his Time Lord pick.

Of course, I'm glad to have been wrong about my opinion with Fast PP. He's the GOAT now, and I'm glad Ainge drafted him.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#262 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:24 am

TheMartian wrote:Finally, Ainge drafts an undersized point guard that's actually good.

Minor point but he's really not undersized at all.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#263 » by ParticleMan » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:01 am

yeah i'm not sure why everyone says he is undersized. he's 6-2 190. that's prototypical pg size. he's pretty far from pressey, larkin, or waters. kemba is 6-0, 185.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,219

Post#264 » by TheSheriff » Fri Jan 1, 2021 2:18 pm

ParticleMan wrote:yeah i'm not sure why everyone says he is undersized. he's 6-2 190. that's prototypical pg size. he's pretty far from pressey, larkin, or waters. kemba is 6-0, 185.

He’s the same size as Kyrie Irving and Damian Lillard.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#265 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jan 1, 2021 5:39 pm

TheSheriff wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:yeah i'm not sure why everyone says he is undersized. he's 6-2 190. that's prototypical pg size. he's pretty far from pressey, larkin, or waters. kemba is 6-0, 185.

He’s the same size as Kyrie Irving and Damian Lillard.

His speed is a surprise. Kind of shocking he was drafted so low given his 3 pt shot (both off catch and off dribble) and ability to play point and off the ball too. I’ll admit I never heard of him until draft day and thought of him as a Grant Williams type - low ceiling but ready to contribute in limited role. Now I wish Brad would start him and let him play 32 mpg.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,426

Post#266 » by Kalela » Fri Jan 1, 2021 6:42 pm

I don't know how tall Aaron Holiday is but Pritchard is about the same size. He is definitely not 6'2".
Fire Mazzulla
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#267 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:23 pm

Ill News wrote:
TheSheriff wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Im still not sure why’d you’d ever get so upset about the 26th pick in the draft. Think there are better players? Ok. Say you’d rather have someone else? Sure. But some of those people seemed angry.

I was one of those questioning this pick, mostly because Ainge drafted yet another undersized guard. We all know his infatuation with these kinds of players, he's drafted Tremont Waters and Phil Pressey, and signed similarly sized guards like Shane Larkin and Brad Wanamaker (and let's not forget the great Isaiah Thomas). I know they're just low second-round picks, but at that range I'd rather he take a swing at some athletic specimen (preferably a wing or big man) that we can mold into a good player, similar to his Time Lord pick.

Of course, I'm glad to have been wrong about my opinion with Fast PP. He's the GOAT now, and I'm glad Ainge drafted him.

I started calling him a ROTY candidate on the first page of the "Nesmith or Pritchard" thread. I'll take my bow now, thank you.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#268 » by SMTBSI » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:11 pm

Ill News wrote:I was one of those questioning this pick, mostly because Ainge drafted yet another undersized guard. We all know his infatuation with these kinds of players, he's drafted Tremont Waters and Phil Pressey, and signed similarly sized guards like Shane Larkin and Brad Wanamaker (and let's not forget the great Isaiah Thomas).

Ok, this board is going a little overboard with with declaring every single guard "undersized". Wanamaker is 6'3" 210#. Feels like literally everyone who doesn't have "wing/swing/whatever-we're-calling-them-these-days" size is "undersized".

There's nothing on earth wrong with playing a 6'0 - 6'2" player, if they're good. See: Paul, Irving, Kemba, Lillard, Lowry, Young, etc. You just don't want to be playing two at the same time.

By the way, the reason you see players with non-ideal profiles selected in the 2nd and as UDFAs is because players with really nice profiles aren't typically available through those channels. If you want to try to pluck a contributor out of thin air, you need to exploit market inefficiencies. Fear of "undersized" players is arguably one such inefficiency.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#269 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:26 pm

Size doesn't matter as much these days. What matters more in the sprawl ball era is speed, quickness and shooting ability.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,546

Post#270 » by JimmyPlopper » Fri Jan 1, 2021 9:51 pm

This guy looks like a player. I was surprised by the pick and didn't know much about him at the time. Nice to get someone who can be a rotation player right away while they are locked into late 1st round pick money for a couple years.
Faked our deaths, lit a match
Closed the door, waited for the flash
Greyhound Station, we paid in cash
Miss Lazarus, we’re coming back
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,275

Post#271 » by Parliament10 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:42 am

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#272 » by Justin33 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:44 am

captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#273 » by captain green » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:38 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Damn with ten shots less to boot
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#274 » by JHTruth » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:33 am

Kalela wrote:

I don't know how tall Aaron Holiday is but Pritchard is about the same size. He is definitely not 6'2".

He's 6-1 barefoot. He's almost the exact measurements as Chris Paul. He's about your average PG.
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,104

Post#275 » by La Flame » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:04 am

Reminds me a bit of Brogdon (17' ROY) the way he's an older rookie that plays great right out of the gate, really good poise and decision making
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,927

Post#276 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 5, 2021 12:23 pm

Pritchard is the real reason we didn't try harder retaining Hayward. :D

philing00
Senior
And1: 200

Post#277 » by philing00 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 12:38 pm

I was a fan of Waters till Pritchard came along. He’s basically Waters on offense with 10x better defense. Why wasn’t he starting against Toronto? He looks good no matter who he plays with. That’s the mark of a damn good player,
denmuscles
Pro Prospect
And1: 620

Post#278 » by denmuscles » Tue Jan 5, 2021 1:05 pm

Yeah this kid is no joke. He can definitely ball. One of the fastest players in the game. His game reminds me a lot of Fox. Brad Stevens should be feeding this kid minutes. Could be a ROTH candidate if he keeps it up
Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Post#279 » by Theocy » Tue Jan 5, 2021 1:21 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Pritchard is the real reason we didn't try harder retaining Hayward. :D

Not sure if you're joking but the way he attacks the basket he kind of reminds me of Gordon.

The kid will be solid. He probably won't be an all star kind of player but he is nba ready so will most likely be able to contribute and play significant minutes
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#280 » by sam_I_am » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:22 pm

Theocy wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Pritchard is the real reason we didn't try harder retaining Hayward. :D

Not sure if you're joking but the way he attacks the basket he kind of reminds me of Gordon.

The kid will be solid. He probably won't be an all star kind of player but he is nba ready so will most likely be able to contribute and play significant minutes

I think the way he uses his pivot foot to create separation while attacking rim is a lot like the “other PP”. I think as a draft pick and projected impact on the franchise as a player, he reminds me most of Danny Ainge. Fast, savvy, shooter and playmaker and annoying pest on defense just like the boss used to be.

The first play on high light video where he does a one handed Julius Irving like finish.....I just couldn’t believe I was watching a 6-2 player do that in the NBA.

Return to Boston Celtics